Sign in to follow this  
Ray

Rep Watch movements

Ray

:lol: Hi all,

Just wondering which rep movement has the smoothest sweeping second hand, I have a Breitling Chrono with a A7750 movement it's not bad but it certainly aint smooth! :rolleyes:

opus9

well a 2836 is pretty damn good,but is not for chronos

regards

opus

opus9

i also have a self wind 7760 chrono and that is pretty awesome.....

Ray

Thanks for the input opus 9, reason for starting thread is, I am looking to order another rep soon and am looking for a better

movement than the A7750, mine is not only a little jerky but has developed a fault if it wasn't for the fault I would still be chuffed with the rep) it goes to a crawl when approaching midnight so I have to reset every day. Ha well :thepianohasbeendrinking:

greg_r

Assuming the movement is in good condition, the only real variance in smoothness of sweep is going to be down to a: the beat rate of the movement (28,800 being the norm for high-beat @ 8 'ticks' per second - A7750s are available as both 28,800 and 21,600 - the latter being the older version) and b: the length of the second hand - the longer/heavier the second hand, the more noticeable the 'ticks' are going to be.

Note that if you want a mechanical watch with chronos, then the A7750/A7753 are pretty much the default in reps unless you're lucky enough to want a model that's available with the Sea Gull ST19 hand-wind chrono (aka "Lemania" or "copy venus") which is a rather more robust movement than the 7750.

With all but the cheapest 4813s (which are high-beat but rather 'jerky'), a high-beat movement is a high-beat movement. Assuming that it's in good order, there will be no difference in the smoothness of the sweep.

David543

Masterful response from Greg, this is normally one I bang on about!

As far as I am aware, no rep has a spead over 28,800 vph - 8 ticks per second. VERY few genuines do either as the engineering required to make a movement stable and long lasting is prettly hard and ETA / clones haven't done it. Only the El-Primo movement used by Zenith (and by Rolex before they produced their own Daytona movement) and Seiko in their Grant Seiko have such a high beat.

JohnG
Masterful response from Greg, this is normally one I bang on about!

As far as I am aware, no rep has a spead over 28,800 vph - 8 ticks per second. VERY few genuines do either as the engineering required to make a movement stable and long lasting is prettly hard and ETA / clones haven't done it. Only the El-Primo movement used by Zenith (and by Rolex before they produced their own Daytona movement) and Seiko in their Grant Seiko have such a high beat.

+!

Many reps, including many 7750's, like Greg said, have 28800 bph and VERY few gens have anything better than that. And the 21600 beat watches are still 6 beats per second, and though if you really look close you can see a little difference between that and the higher beat (8 bps), it is very hard to tell and anyone who claims (as I have seen a few do) that they can tell the difference from a few feet away are lying. Period. You have to get the thing right under your nose and have seen quite a few of both the 28800 and the 21600 beat movements to tell the difference.

greg_r

I'd add that if you're going to buy another A7750, buy it from Robert and have it pre-serviced. It costs a little extra but will pay dividends in terms of reliability and longevity.

Ray

Many thanks to everyone for their responses, it amazes me how much knowledge there is amongst members here, I take the point about the A7750 movement re it's quality of sweep

mine is in a Breitling chrono and is the 28800 version.

Have taken note Greg on having future watches serviced, thanks for the suggestion.