Sign in to follow this  
wat44

sweep that quartz

wat44
th_221eda56.jpg

opus9

great..fantastic...say good by to the 7750...bring it on!!!

regards opus

WebWind

Powered by 2 AA batteries?

KeNnY

1 AA battery = Hour and minute hands

1 AA battery = Second hand

opus9

lol.bring on those 90mm watches....

regards

opus

powderfreak

Where can you get those :lmao2:?

schmooze

I noticed a incredibly smooth movement on a watch while on holidays recently. When the salesperson informed me it was quartz I was floored. The Brand is Bulova and the range is precisionist. I have one on the way at the moment. I believe PWC have some AP's with this type of movement.

http://youtu.be/zPZPsimxteA

offshore

Most recent clocks for sale have sweeping seconds hands.

They has been available for approx 12 months.

Still powered by one or two AA.

O/S

Foolish1
Most recent clocks for sale have sweeping seconds hands.

They has been available for approx 12 months.

Still powered by one or two AA.

O/S

Actually been available since the late 60's.

Maybe not by AA batteries though but electric/battery powered just the same.

trailboss99

Different animal Foolish. What you are talking about is a synchronous MVT. It isn't actually a MVT at all, it's an electric motor that drives the hands. It relies on the frequency of the AC power supply to provide a count in the same way a quartz clock uses it's crystal today. The issue there is that if the frequency of the AC power is off at all so is the clock. They were used by power stations to check the frequency of their output and special clocks with a very accurate electricaly driven pendulum clock and a seconds only synchronous MVT were made for just this purpose by the likes of the Sychronome Company and others.

What we have here is an actual clock MVT with sweeping seconds that has only been readily available in the last year or so.

Col

houndoggie
I noticed a incredibly smooth movement on a watch while on holidays recently. When the salesperson informed me it was quartz I was floored. The Brand is Bulova and the range is precisionist. I have one on the way at the moment. I believe PWC have some AP's with this type of movement.

The Bulova Preciscisionist uses the Precisionist movement, it is a 16 beats per second movement. ULTRA smooth. Smoother than any mechanical movement. And no, Robert has nothing like that in his AP's. Those "smooth" sweep quartz chrono movements are usually 5 beats per second on the chrono hand only, the running seconds is still one beat per second.

schmooze

The Bulova Preciscisionist uses the Precisionist movement, it is a 16 beats per second movement. ULTRA smooth. Smoother than any mechanical movement. And no, Robert has nothing like that in his AP's. Those "smooth" sweep quartz chrono movements are usually 5 beats per second on the chrono hand only, the running seconds is still one beat per second.

It's a pity we can't obtain some of the higher end reps with a smooth sweeping quartz .

Big Tex

I have three chronographs that have the ISA 8172 quatz chronograph movement in them. That is one of the ISA movements that has the 5 beats per second faux sweep seconds hand. The normal person would never know that the chronograph was a quartz movement just by looking at the watch...as the chronograph second hand appears to be a sweep second hand...but the running seconds sub-dial is moving in the normal 1 beat per second.

houndoggie

I have three chronographs that have the ISA 8172 quatz chronograph movement in them. That is one of the ISA movements that has the 5 beats per second faux sweep seconds hand. The normal person would never know that the chronograph was a quartz movement just by looking at the watch...as the chronograph second hand appears to be a sweep second hand...but the running seconds sub-dial is moving in the normal 1 beat per second.

5 beats per second is 18,000 bph. Not very smooth, especially on a large hand.