Aramis2288

My Second Custom Seiko Build - The Tuna

Aramis2288

Hi all,

After completing my last custom Seiko build, the Blue Turtle, I kind of fell in love with it.

It was meant to serve a bit different purpose than my reps that I try to keep in as pristine condition as possible. The Seiko was supposed to be the beater watch that I would use in all the situations where the rep could get damaged. Not that you cannot take the rep watch for a swim, but I just figured out that just in case something happened, the Seiko will be way easier to service or repair, and most importantly I can do it on my own.

Since the Blue Turtle managed to survive a whole summer of sailing, diving and offroading I decided that perhaps it's a good moment for preparing another build. The requirements were just like last time - resilient and looking different from anything else that I already own. 

For this build, I decided to use the Seiko SKX Tuna conversion case due to its unique 'armored' look. I wanted to have something inspired by Rolex Explorer II and Vacheron Constantin Overseas Everest. A wanderer watch. At the same time I did not want it to end up looking like one of these Seiko/Rolex homage builds.

Build:

- Seiko SKX Tuna conversion case

- Super flat stainless steel case back

- Stainless steel Explorer style 12h GMT bezel insert

- OEM-like flat sapphire crystal with transparent AR coating on the inner side

- Seiko Monster style hands with green super luminova

- OEM Seiko Prospex Ice Frost Baby Tuna SBDY053 dial

- NH36 movement with modded day wheel so that it aligns with the crown at 4

- For now a grey-orange nato strap, but soon I may swap it for soft orange rubber strap.

jvjbat.jpg jvjJFE.jpg jvjxp2.jpg jvjcAn.jpg jvjg83.jpg jvzzYD.jpg jvzDvs.jpg jvzjzY.jpg jvz3kk.jpg jvzHVo.jpg

• Like 3

APjumbo

Fantastic job, that dial looks great.

• Like 1

soulysax

Really great look. Congrats on a fine job.