DB Cooper

Movement question

DB Cooper

I've read about several different movements used in Rolex GMT Master 2 reps and there's something I don't understand. Excluding the Rolex clones or hand stack mods, if you're going to put a certain movement into a GMT Master, for example a 2813, is it just a stock 2813 or does it have to be modded somehow to work a GMT Master?  If you had a GMT Master with a 2813 and it broke, could you just buy another 2813 and swap it in or would you have to modify the new 2813 first somehow? 

GenTLe

Good movements for GMT:

Hangzhou 6460 (which is normally called "2836" with GMT). It's a good movement, basically a 2836 (that you can fix with ETA gen parts) with the GMT added in place of the day wheel. Drawbacks: the hand stack is incorrect and the crown position is a bit (invisibile if you ask me...) different than the gen

Mingzhu DG3804 (which is the proper GMT version of a 2813). Cheap movement, fairly reliable, if it breaks much cheaper to throw it away and replace it. Drawbacks: incorrect hand stack, it beats at 21.6kBPH instead of 28.8 as Rolex or Eta movements do, one direction auto-wind.

Rolex replicas, good when it comes to the aspect and functionality. But not great when it comes to parts... I've yet to get the lift angle of these in order to understand if they have poor amplitude per se (even after a service) or if it's a matter of lift angle...

Bad movements for GMT:

the modified 2836/2824 with correct hand stack. All of them.

The "2813" isn't a GMT movement at all, unless you're referring to the DG3804 that is aesthetically identical if seen from the rotor side.

• Like 1

DB Cooper

Great info but I'm not looking for a GMT movement. I'm asking if a standard 2813 that you'd buy on the Internet would just work in a rep GMT or if it would  have to be modified to work in a GMT.

tribefan
29 minutes ago, DB Cooper said:

Great info but I'm not looking for a GMT movement. I'm asking if a standard 2813 that you'd buy on the Internet would just work in a rep GMT or if it would  have to be modified to work in a GMT.

No, a 2813 does not have a GMT hand function.

Generally, if you are replacing a rep movement, you want to replace it with the one the came with it to be assured the movement fits the case and hands. That is a rule of thumb, not an absolute, but one you should follow until you do more research on movements.

GenTLe
2 hours ago, DB Cooper said:

It won't. Get a DG3804 , it should fit.

• Like 1

DB Cooper

I'm wondering because several GMT Master reps listed on TDs here have the option of a 2813 movement. I've seen the 2813 movements for sale all over for $15-$25.  So either a 2813 works in a GMT Master or it's a 2813 with some mod for the GMT hand to work. I'm trying to find out which.

Rokerite
9 minutes ago, DB Cooper said:

I'm wondering because several GMT Master reps listed on TDs here have the option of a 2813 movement. I've seen the 2813 movements for sale all over for $15-$25.  So either a 2813 works in a GMT Master or it's a 2813 with some mod for the GMT hand to work. I'm trying to find out which.

The TD's simply refer to the DG3804 as a "2813" it is laziness on their part

Edited by Rokerite

BadApple
On 10/03/2022 at 16:35, DB Cooper said:

jRADw4.jpg

BadPickle

Jeeez this one won’t be told… :lol:  at least she’s consistent 

• Like 2

DB Cooper

Rokerite- thank you. That explains it. I wasn't being dense, it's just that when I Googled DG2813 movements some came up as 2813 for sale and others came up as GMT 2813 for sale. I guess the GMT 2813s were actually 3804s. The dealers saying the GMT reps had 2813s had me wondering if  they may be adding a GMT gear to the 2813s at the factories or something.

I guess BadApple and pickledbeetroot had a lot of assholes answering their questions when they were newbies trying to learn about reps.

Edited by DB Cooper
Spelling

Mr_B

:lol: