Sign in to follow this  
blueradish

[Build Thread] - DSN Skull EGI

blueradish

For those that want to get right to the candy, scroll to the bottom. Follow me on Instagram for more pics in coming days. @blueradishstraps

I know it's not for everyone, but enjoy nonetheless.

It all started with a beautifully converted Angelus 240 that sat in my parts bin for a few years. 

IMG-2320.jpg

I knew it was going to go into a DSN Egi case. So the process began to fit the movement.  DSN has two Egi cases, both look identical save for the position of the stem hole.  I chose to use the 7750 case as the stem sits lower and allows for a  little bit of grab below the CG.  The crown on the 6497 case sits flush with the bottom of the CG and makes winding a bit of a chore. If I had gone with the 6497 I wouldn’t have had as much of a fitment issue.

6497 on top, 7750 on bottom

IMG-2327.jpg 

IMG-2326.jpg

First task, get this case for its special treatment and damn didn’t disappoint, this thing is gorgeous.

IMG-2328.jpg

IMG-2330.jpg

IMG-2331.jpg

IMG-2332.jpg

However, my case choice created a fitment issue with the fact that the 240 is far thinner than a 7750, hence, I would have a lot more space to fill in order to get the movement to sit tight. Now if my dial was a perfect diameter it wouldn’t be a big deal since it’s nice and thick. However, it’s a hair too small, in fact it sits inside the rehaut and will have to be attached to the top of the backplates.

IMG-2351.jpg

Custom movement ring.

IMG-2335.jpg

All set…now the dial.

Came across this badboy and we’re set. BUT, now the issues start, this dial is 1.65mm thick, plus we have to make up the difference in the thickness of the movement. 3mm in total. Also the dial is the same diameter as the rehaut diameter, so as mentioned it will sit on top of the back plates. SF240’s have pretty tall CP/HW, but this was a stretch.  I tried to secure the movement with tabs from the back, but the movement has no holes for movement screws.

IMG-2341.jpg

IMG-2346.jpg 

So, fill the space and then find tall tube hands for an SF240.  They don’t exist, but got some hands that get close.  So the tubes had to be modified to make them smaller.

Gap filled

IMG-2338.jpg

TT hands

IMG-2336.jpg

Now onto painting and luming the hands.  I really didn’t care about glow, I wanted to keep an overall look of dark and aged. Grey lume that allowed me to stay on track with my overall plan.  Painted and lumed, onto stem fitment….

IMG-2325.jpg

IMG-2350.jpg

Stem adaptor that allowed me to use a 6497 stem with my crown and marry it with the OEM SF240 stem.  After careful trimming and sanding, the stem is perfect and the CG snaps nicely into lock position.

IMG-2337.jpg

Now, no point having this beautiful SF240 and using the stock closed CB.  Try the stock 6497 CB, nope display is way too small to showcase this beauty.  Off to open the viewable area by a full 5mm from 30mm to 35mm.  A custom made glass to finish it off and this badboy is showcasing all its glory.

IMG-1941.jpg

IMG-2314.jpg

IMG-2243.jpg

Now to take this sweet-ass dial and give it the look we need to bring the whole watch together.  Since this is real silver, I decided to go with a combo of tarnish, paint and some various aging techniques.

Starts with the silver, add a coat of matte black paint, start with some aging but the lighter grey just didn’t work with the dark of the case, move on to further aging to give it the final look.

IMG-2357.jpg

It’s been a project that has taken years, moreso due to lack of personal time than anything else, but all the custom mods are not a quick process.  All in all by far my favourite build.

The only thing I wish I had done would be drilling out the lugs for compression bars. 

Here is the finished project, let me know which strap you think works best. I can’t choose so I may rotate them.

IMG-2495.jpg

IMG-2494.png

IMG-2423.jpg

IMG-2429.jpg

IMG-2432.jpg

IMG-2443.jpg

IMG-2445.jpg

IMG-2450.jpg

• Like 7

Piccolo

That looks ace! Great work..! Would be the lighter leather strap for me, but pretty sure that will look good on most things. 

blueradish
2 hours ago, Piccolo said:

That looks ace! Great work..! Would be the lighter leather strap for me, but pretty sure that will look good on most things. 

Thanks for the opinion, I tend to agree with you, albeit I've had someone tell me a vintage black or grey canvas with worn edges would look killer. I may have to make one.

Jibuti

Nice story bluey and even better pics. For me black shark is 1st option. 

Of course, I curse DSN for leaving business every single day. 

Actually not.... I want but really can't.... He gave me a lot of satisfaction with his unique pieces and I still hail him. 

• Like 1

Piccolo
3 hours ago, blueradish said:

Thanks for the opinion, I tend to agree with you, albeit I've had someone tell me a vintage black or grey canvas with worn edges would look killer. I may have to make one.

I think grey or black would make you look at the strap instead of the watch and dial… maybe a frayed green washed canvas.   With the skulls dial you could change the whole feel of the watch with the strap choice.   

Buddhabar

Wow ... what a piece !!!
I congratulate you on the skills in painstaking and careful work. Great work on the case and Angelus SF240 ... Top.

:thumbsup:

brang1

that is just brilliant - one of the best for sure 

SteveA

Top work,I reckon the lighter brown strap looks best

blueradish

Thanks all, it was fun, but a true test of patience.  Just wanted to get this badboy on the wrist every step of the way