jackteet

polishing gold plate case

jackteet

Hi, I have researched this topic for hours on end without really finding a definitive answer.  Three of my watch have gold plated cases. None are scratched but all are dull and tarnished in places. I simply want to polish them to as high a shine as possible.

I think a Cod cloth is too abrasive as indeed are jewellers rouge and rogue paste.  I havent the expertise to remove the movement and wash the case in warm water with washing-up liquid. Perhaps all white toothpaste might be too abravise as well.

I have come across Connoisseurs  Gold Polishing Cloth in my internet travelling and wonder whether that might be the answer. I would very much appreciate opinions regarding polishing please. TIA jack

Mc7516

Hi, polishing a plated watch will definitly remove the gold.

I recommande  you to use toothpaste, a simple white one (not the one with small stuff inside and with many color)

You put the toothpaste all around the watch let it covered few minutes then clean it with a soft tooth brush.

it will give it its shinning back

• Like 1

GenTLe

If the watch is a bit water resistant, you'll have wonderful results just brushing it with toothpaste and a toothbrush, then rinsing it with some fresh water (don't put it directly under a strong water  jet) or with a damp cloth.

Edited by GenTLe

FudgyDocker

I just polish mine with a Cape Cod. If the gold wears off, they are obviously shit, so time to upgrade and buy another one :lol:

Mc7516
1 hour ago, FudgyDocker said:

I just polish mine with a Cape Cod. If the gold wears off, they are obviously shit, so time to upgrade and buy another one :lol:

polishing is removing a bit of material every time, even your watch is solid gold, you are loosing some gold for every polish.  So even you have the best plated gold, you are just removing part of it .

I also use Cape Cod but only on solid material

Edited by Mc7516

FudgyDocker
1 minute ago, Mc7516 said:

polishing is removing a bit of material every time, even your watch is solid gold, you are loosing some gold for every polish

And toothpaste is non-abrasive, right? :lol:

Mc7516
11 hours ago, FudgyDocker said:

And toothpaste is non-abrasive, right? :lol:

If you use the simple white one and let it just few minutes its fine