Crippen

Hello!

Crippen

There are at least two other "Hello" topics, so I figured I'd spruce mine up with an exclamation point.

I've been lurking the forums for a bit now.  I have a few gen watches of different brands (Rolex, Breitling, Tag)  but am considering branching out into reps of some of the other brands that people may not recognize.  I like the vintage appearance of some of the A. Lange & Sohne datographs (you'll have to forgive my spelling if I flub), and that brand looks classy without having the recognizability of a brand like Rolex.  I figure that way I can wear something I like without people assuming I'm trying to fake it.   Not that I care overly much, for myself, what people think of me, but I do think I get more accomplished when I'm taken seriously.

Along those lines, I guess, if anyone has had any particularly good experiences acquiring an A. Lange & Sohne Datograph rep, let me know!

I think my next gen is going to be the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Worldtimer.  Covers another brand and that little earth disc looks incredible.  I honestly think it wouldn't make a good rep, given the texturing on the earth.  I've also been looking at the pistachio-faced B09 Breitling, but it's not automatic so it's giving me some pause.  Although, admittedly, there's no date on it, so setting it isn't a hassle if it sits idle for a while.

That's it!  Happy to be here!

APjumbo

Welcome!!

I have not had one in hand yet but everyone seems to go on about how good the AT world timer is in rep form. 
VSF (VS factory) makes it.

You may want to try one out, I imagine that rep will be of better quality than any A.Lange you might find (have not seen many of those myself)

tribefan

You won't find a datograph new, and they tend to go quickly if they come up for sale used. They are no longer making them.

If you want a AT World Timer, then I would suggest you order fast. I don't think they will be around long, they disappeared once already, and when they come up used there is a long line to get it.

Crippen
On 28/04/2022 at 17:09, tribefan said:

If you want a AT World Timer, then I would suggest you order fast. I don't think they will be around long, they disappeared once already, and when they come up used there is a long line to get it.

Hm, I was wondering about this.  I've seen one at a local boutique, but there's also one for a bit cheaper online.  Maybe I'll go ahead and pull the trigger.

On 28/04/2022 at 15:08, APjumbo said:

You may want to try one out, I imagine that rep will be of better quality than any A.Lange you might find (have not seen many of those myself)

I actually wondered about that, as well.  I figured that the highest-quality reps will be the popular ones who've undergone extensive QC by virtue of their order volume, and a combination of lack of access to a gen watch combined with low demand may limit the quantity of some of the more obscure watches.  I'm not as interested in replicas of brands like Rolex, though.  Who knows, maybe I'll come around.