whaler

Asian clone movements, 2824 v 2836

whaler

Simple question, I hope, what’s the difference between an Asian 2824 movement and the Asian 2836 movement? 
and which one is better to have in your watch?

thank you in advance, I know nothing, but would like to Learn something.

NCRich

The 2824 is a date movement, the 2836 is day date.  The width of the two movements is the same but the 2836 is thicker and the stem height is different.

FudgyDocker

Not much to choose between them, reliability-wise, except that you'd be extremely disappointed if you had an A2824 in a day/date watch.

There seems to be a tendency for A2824 to be more prevalent than A2836 in reps, these days. Don't know why. The Omega clone movements are A2824 based if I remember rightly.

deju

Better hand clearance for DW overlay on a 2836 for Rolex. 

• Like 2

whaler

Deju 

what’s a DW overlay?

tribefan
2 minutes ago, whaler said:

Deju 

what’s a DW overlay?

Date wheel.

whaler

Thank you for the replies,  I’m adding the 3135 to this conversation, what’s different about this movement?  Also which of the three movements would be ideal to have in a date watch, 2824 or 3135, so far I’ve learned there’s not much point in having a 2836 day date movement in just a date watch. Also what’s the point in putting a date movement in a no date sub? It’s a dead give away that you have a replica sub if you just pull the crown out and find the ghost position for the date wheel. Is there an eta movement that is just time changing or a clone equivalent?

thank you in advance if you take the time to reply to all these questions , I appreciate it

whaler

Thanks tribefan, I told you I knew nothing ; x

gooner2826

3135 is a clone Rolex movement, however lots of variants. All not as reliable out of the box as a 2824 or 2836 arguably

SA3135 can’t take gen parts so when it goes boom you’re out of luck

SH3135 can take gen parts

VR3135 is the best of the bunch and is well finished, decorated and is quite reliable. 

3132 variant is Rolex no date (I.e no date position with only one setting on the crown for time). Same logic with the variants applies as the above for the 3132 a swell 

whaler

Thanks gooner, appreciate the reply

deju
15 hours ago, whaler said:

so far I’ve learned there’s not much point in having a 2836 day date movement in just a date watch.

Yes, but no. :D 

For example if you are making a Rolex Datejust Franken you will want the 2836, as the pinion height is taller allowing for the Datewheel overlay. 

Rather than buying a 2824 then having to retrofit the parts across for the pinion heights. 

NCRich
41 minutes ago, deju said:

Yes, but no. :D 

For example if you are making a Rolex Datejust Franken you will want the 2836, as the pinion height is taller allowing for the Datewheel overlay. 

Rather than buying a 2824 then having to retrofit the parts across for the pinion heights. 

Not all come with the wrong pinion. So there isn't a blanket statement one can make.

whaler

Ok, it just got complicated!