HarleyMo

Explorer II question from an old timer

HarleyMo

Hello Forum, havent been on in so long and havent bought a rep in many years. My old Explorer II finally gave up the ghost, would really like to replace it since its my favorite watch. Ive been out of the game for awhile and looked over the Trusted dealers sites, glad to see so many still around. What I dont know anymore are the factories and the qualities and availability, particularly in light of all the supply chain issues and heard there had been a big crack down recently. 

So instead of saying the old tired phrase "What is the best Explorer II". Ill just ask for suggestions on the most reliable and available. Not really worried if its "perfect" to the original

Thanks and have a great day

HarleyMo

FudgyDocker

I would just email one of the older TDs (Mary etc) and ask them what's available and what they consider to be the best. I can't speak for the others, but Mary is likely to be pretty upfront about what she can get, and what she considers to be the best one. 

HarleyMo

So Mary is recommending a BP factory 3186. In the past I always read to steer clear of BP for the Explorer IIs. Have things gotten better over the years? 

NCRich

I have the BP.  Its the best option and nothing wrong with it at all IMHO.  I got mine from Marvellous Replica a couple years ago and had the same advice from them.  BP is the best bang for the buck on all 5 digits.  Here is 89 pages of discussion about the watch.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/7919565-bp-factory-rolex-16710-gmt-full-review-vs-gen

APjumbo

If you want the 5 digit 

Noob is best, out of stock, never ever comes up for sale M2M.

BP last version had funny SEL bracelet fitment but otherwise nice.

BP recent version I have one incoming from Jtime. Looks like dog $hit, was $300. a2836

Fatpanda gave me a price at $430, it may be for the better “last version” a2836 with the nicer CGs but poor SEL.

Next best thing is a Viet case $800-$1100 with gen dial VR movement etc. 

Stay tuned, I’m working on it ;)

Didn't get a price from Mary but probably should have. Haven’t read/heard anything about a BP with 3186.

Edit: I did contact Mary back then and Mary could source it but I had already ordered. I think Mary said $300 can’t remember.

HarleyMo

NCRich, 

Im looking for the Explorer II white dial 216570.  Im sure they have the same GMT movement options as the GMT 16710 that this thread starts out comparing. Reading about the different movements gets me back to where I was years ago where people always said stay away from CHS Correct Hand Stack movements because they were time bombs. Has nothing improved in the movements since then?  I could find anything even in the newer posts at the end of the thread. 

You did order the 2836 ICHS. Nothing wrong with that, I have several myself. It's a great safe movement that you won't be facing issues with like you are with your 216570 CHS timebomb. Yes the newer BP model with a true clone SA3186 would have a modded interior. An ETA or DG case is not compatible without some modding.

Its things like this above post from the thread that makes me question. The statement about the "True Clone SA3186". Is that a new and improved movement being used by the high end BPs now to get away from the old CHS timebombs? 

APjumbo

The new VR3186 is the improved clone movement.

Someone installed one into a noob 216570  but had to modify the movement ring I think.

you would have to find a 3187 (3185) timebomb SA/SH and swap to the newer VR.

As far as I know, no factory has done a VR in a 42mm explorer. There was a reason I didn’t go this route. Need to check movement fits, hands can swap over and pretty sure there is issue with date window being position. 

edit: there seems to be issues with date wheel placement on the 42mm explorer compared to the VR movement from the GMT master.

So looks like the most reliable is still a a2836 ,

BP pretty good

Noob, can have bad white/grey markers

JF, crooked 12 on bezel.

If yours is a noob with good looking white markers you may want to just have it repaired. (or sell it to me nudge nudge)

HarleyMo

I wasn’t really looking to replace the movement. Was just looking to buy the best current example of the whole watch. Was hoping after all these years they would have come out with a better more robust version. Honestly I don’t even remember which factory my last one came out of. It’s been finicky since I got it. Had it worked on once by a trusted repair guy from the forum here who eventually just disappeared with two other watches I had sent him. Haven’t bought a rep watch in a long time. 

APjumbo

It would still be the old Incorrect handstack 2836

Noob is no longer around

JF is rumoured to be slowing production as we speak.

BP might still make a 2836 exp II

I would love for someone to chime in and prove me wrong but am not holding my breath

There might be a LF or L7 or something factory but it’s garbage.

The new 2022 model 226570 or whatever it’s called hasn’t been repped well (has a huge orange disk at the base of the GMT hand) and isn’t good or popular.

Oh, and shipping costs have doubled. so make sure you are sitting when you read your email response from the TDs

Welcome back!

HarleyMo

Sounds like maybe I need to find a new go to Rolex rep. I just really like the explorer II. It’s the perfect size for me at 42mm and have always loved the look. 

I guess I could settle for an homage like the Pagani Design one but after wearing a quality rep that’s a hard pill to swollow

thanks for all the help guys. Appreciate it

APjumbo

Check out the pelagos.

als86

I have a GMF V4 Explorer 2 and can’t fault it looks so close to Gen when I compare it to the one I tried on at the AD .

I can take a few photos tomorrow if you like …

• Like 1

HarleyMo
32 minutes ago, als86 said:

I have a GMF V4 Explorer 2 and can’t fault it looks so close to Gen when I compare it to the one I tried on at the AD .

I can take a few photos tomorrow if you like …

That would be great. No rush thou but I’d appreciate it. 

als86

@HarleyMo Here you go

z5DSvs.jpg z5DFAn.jpg z5DG83.jpg z5DRFE.jpg z5DbzY.jpg z5DxYD.jpg z5DVVo.jpg z5DJkk.jpg

And these next 2 despite the garbage lighting and the watch still has stickers on it are of the Gen at a local AD back in Feb 

z5ZDpP.png z5DgaJ.png

• Like 2

Mr_B

@als86 I prefer your rep to the gen :lol: 

• Like 1

als86
9 minutes ago, Mr_B said:

@als86 I prefer your rep to the gen :lol: 

Haha thanks I actually think the Gen GMT hand looks faded to my eyes 

Mystery Shopper

Didn't some of the reps have problems with the orange print on the dial fading?

NCRich
1 hour ago, Mystery Shopper said:

Yes

Abe Fromen
1 hour ago, Mystery Shopper said:

Some of them did, yes.

I had a 42mm noob and moved it on because the markers were on the grey side. BUT... it was a great watch otherwise. The one above looks good and it wouldn't be hard to have a modder paint the orange circle black... problem solved. 

HarleyMo

@als86 Thanks a lot, appreciate it. I see that it has one of the "super clone" movements that even thou it has the CHS isnt supposed to be a timebomb and the hour jumping spring is much more robust. I guess thats what I was looking to find out and hoping for, that they had improved one of these movements. It looks real good, in your opinion, is it worth the almost $500 is seems like its going to cost me shipped to the CONUS and if you dont mind me asking, who did you source if from? 

Thanks again everyone for all your help in my quest. Good to see this forum is still a great source of info and the hobby hasnt died out. 

• Like 2

als86
18 minutes ago, HarleyMo said:

@als86 Thanks a lot, appreciate it. I see that it has one of the "super clone" movements that even thou it has the CHS isnt supposed to be a timebomb and the hour jumping spring is much more robust. I guess thats what I was looking to find out and hoping for, that they had improved one of these movements. It looks real good, in your opinion, is it worth the almost $500 is seems like its going to cost me shipped to the CONUS and if you dont mind me asking, who did you source if from? 

Thanks again everyone for all your help in my quest. Good to see this forum is still a great source of info and the hobby hasnt died out. 

No problem at all, yes indeed far better movement as it’s the V4. I got mine at the start of the year. @Mary Watch is my go to TD and would highly recommend. I have had timebomb movements that you refer to and we all know about for cheaper from other TDs but I would stick with Mary never had an issue and I’d say it’s worth it . As all of the above have said it’s very Gen like. Only noticeable point as @Abe Fromen pointed out is the orange hand where it attaches to the pinion should be ringed black and not orange.

• Like 1

HarleyMo

@als86 I sent another email to Mary and we will see if they can source the GMF V4 version. Im surprised they suggested the BP factory version if the GMF is better but who knows. Im not sure they are the same people from when I started buying reps 9 years go but I think I actually got my first couple from them.  Hopefully they can get it. 

APjumbo

Pretty sure the only difference is BP uses 316L and GMF uses 904

I am also not convinced it has a new VR movement. (Probably a SA)

But handstack is correct.

digisquid

@als86 Curious whether this GMF V4 226570 Explorer II has 22mm lugs and the newer 19mm clasp like gen?  Or did they repurpose the old 216570 case and bracelet/clasp.

Also, its been over a year how is the movement holding up?

Thanks in advance.

oi812

In for this....

Need/ want a quality 216570 to replace the one that cratered.