Tony P

need help with new mike horn pam

Tony P

thats not working fatarms , the first click that winds the date is only moving the hour hand . 

does not matter if i have it at 1730  to 1800 or 1400 

but good to know for the future . 

Edited by Tony P

Devil

It's just part of the game I'm afraid...  I know you feel like you've been "did" but it happens, I just sent a watch to Rolie a few months ago for a fix up and paid the £40 and called it a day...

Maybe 1/5 watches I've ordered from China have had problems, they are put together in poor conditions - if you really want perfection, go gen.

fatarms

Ok, from what I've read, the P9010 clone is based on an A7750 movement that's been re-tooled.  That rotor noise sounds like just about every A7750 I've ever had, they whirl and you can feel the oscillation on the wrist.  It's very similar with Swiss 7750 movements, although they're slightly quieter.  Asian movements are notorious for not being oiled properly, hence the noise.

As for the date thing, the watch will flip the date wheel at midnight.  Those gears begin to engage the date wheel gears at around 9PM on many watches and then after the date flips at midnight, then the gears begin to disengage and usually don't fully disengage until after 3AM.  So if you set it to somewhere around 6:00, it doesn't matter if it's AM or PM, ALWAYS SET YOUR TIME TO AROUND 6:00 ON ANY MECHANICAL WATCH BEFORE USING THE CROWN TO SET THE DATE.  Can't stress that enough.  And that goes for any watch, rep or gen.

It looks like the keyless works on your watch is fucked at a minimum.  Hopefully you haven't damaged any gear teeth by trying to move the date between 9PM and 3AM.  You'll probably need to send that to a watch smith to fix.  It happens.  Chalk it up to learning.

• Like 1

APjumbo

100% what fat arms said.

This hobby isn’t seamless, problems pop up. Heck, I just received a watch myself that was DOA.

Sounds like that movement might be one of the newer ones that jumps the hours hand around independently (similar to a Rolex GMT) it’s a bitch changing the date (no quick date change) but is more gen like.

You have to keep turning the crown until the hour hand passes midnight. It is for changing the time when travelling without affecting your minutes/seconds.

APjumbo

Omg I just watched the video.

That watch doesn’t have a quick date change like you are used to.

First crown position is winding

Second crown position is date change, via turning the crown a shitload over and over for 24hours worth until the date changes. It kinda sucks, just had to set the date on this Pepsi and took forever, usually it’s sitting on a winder.

Third crown position is for setting the minute hand.

It is wonky if you have never seen it before but that’s how the gen works. All good.

fatarms

@APjumbo nailed it.  I didn't know that was how the P9010 works.  Look up how to set a P9010 on youtube, you'll see how it's supposed to work.  He's right, there is no quick date set on that watch.  Like he says, the first position is wind, the second (instead of date) is the hour hand.  You have to move the hour hand past midnight in order to change the date one day at a time. 

• Like 1

Philiusmaximus

Aye came here to say the same. The date in these  doesn't set like most watches. Just keep spinning that hour hand til it changes the date at midnight.

Position 1, advances hour hand only.

Position 2, moves minute and hour hands.

Tony P

So update . 

To change the time you must use first click which only functions hour hand . 

And then rotatenhour hand twice clockwise to change date . 

This was explained by Panda . 

So a couple of questions . .manynof you have pams is this  the norm for a date change . ? 

Does your 9010 movement make a sound . ? 

I quess if this the norm . 

Which models are affected by this date function  which movement do I avoid that makes such a shake and bake sound . ? 

And if one day I sell the watch on rwg do I mention all this . ? 

I have never seen this info on a forum . ? 

Philiusmaximus

Loads of watches do this.

I have the Mike Horn, Pam688, Omega Planet Ocean... lots and lots.

So are you saying your watch is working fine?

Edited by Philiusmaximus

FudgyDocker

Apart from the helicopter rotor sound (which is sadly normal-ish), it looks as if it's OK. Bit of a ballache having the change the date with the hour hand, but it is what it is.

A bit of rotor oil may help the rotor noise, but you won't completely get rid of it, I don't think. I have gens that make a right fucking racket, but can't change that.

Tony P

Mr panda was very nice this morning  and sent this. 

For your reference.  All VSF Automatic PAM watches have rotor noise. Some louder than others, so
we cannot silence your rotor, but a watch-smith might be able to make yours a bit more quiet. 

https://vimeo.com/730253419/8da9303583

In this video, PAM VSF model and order number.

PAM 985 #3869
PAM 1661 #3851-B
PAM 441 #3646
PAM 1661 #3609
PAM 1662 #3522

And explained about the hour hand.  

I was not expecting these issues . 

I. Glad I started this help page though i have learned a lot fron everyone . 

Next time I'll watch out for watchesnwith 7750 and other watches with a major rotor sound and say no to them on receiving the QC . 

Thinking of getting a deep sea dweller . Arf or xf . 

does this noise affect this model . 

Shit ordered a hublot from HB hope that rotor with the 7750 is not baby rattle . 

apart fron expensive hobby , its as a serious learning curve . 

might invest on a tool kit and watch some franken watch videos . 

Tony P

Another question I notice on a video and review that the Mike horn bezel is slightly shinier . 

Can a bezel be modified to do this . 

FudgyDocker

You just can't avoid 7750s. But not all of them sound like that. 

I think it was mentioned earlier, but carbon and titanium cases will exacerbate the noise 

• Like 1

Tony P

theres nothing too beautiful about titanium anyway , so i will avoid . 

Thank you fudgy