Sign in to follow this  
AlexFelix

Caseback etching restore

AlexFelix

Gentleman

my beloved Seadweller (a noob v5) which is also may daily watch, is starting to loose the black ''coating'' inside the etching on the caseback. There's a simple way to restore it or is easier to buy a new caseback?

If the 2nd option is the best, who sell em as spare parts?

Cheers,
A.

SteveA

I use a black permanent marker ,put on ,let it dry then use a cotton bud with a tiny amount of nail polish remover to clean the overlap.If worried about that just keep rubbing with a dry cloth and that will remove the excess.It lasts quite a while and looks good,also very easy to redo when needed.

• Like 1

AlexFelix
2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I use a black permanent marker ,put on ,let it dry then use a cotton bud with a tiny amount of nail polish remover to clean the overlap.If worried about that just keep rubbing with a dry cloth and that will remove the excess.It lasts quite a while and looks good,also very easy to redo when needed.

That sound smart. I thought about putting something into it, some sort of liquid rubber (which apparently is what currently inside the etching), but permanent marker look easier

NCRich
41 minutes ago, AlexFelix said:

That sound smart. I thought about putting something into it, some sort of liquid rubber (which apparently is what currently inside the etching), but permanent marker look easier

Its just black paint.  Either use that or the Sharpie works for a while.

AlexFelix
1 hour ago, NCRich said:

Its just black paint.  Either use that or the Sharpie works for a while.

You sure? Because is coming off as sort of paste/rubber/something. I'm pretty sure I have already seen some stuff like that elsewere but can't remember where ffs

Edited by AlexFelix

NCRich
3 hours ago, AlexFelix said:

You sure? Because is coming off as sort of paste/rubber/something. I'm pretty sure I have already seen some stuff like that elsewere but can't remember where ffs

I am not sure which one you have but it’s paint on my noob 5 digit. It doesn’t matter but personally I would soak the case back in acetone and just repaint it. Swipe some paint on and wipe the excess off with a cloth. That way it’s all new and of one material. 

• Like 1

Abe Fromen

I had this happen to my now gone SD and I tried the black sharpie and also black paint and it barely lasted a day. So I learned to live without it. 

AlexFelix
7 hours ago, Abe Fromen said:

I had this happen to my now gone SD and I tried the black sharpie and also black paint and it barely lasted a day. So I learned to live without it. 

I admit to have basically already forgot about, but at the same time when I wear off the watch my eyes immediately go on the case back. I'll probably try to both method: sharpie and search for a new caseback,