Sign in to follow this  
tyrantblade

dont "fantasy" reps defeat the puurpose of reps

tyrantblade

Maybe its just me, but I believe the purpose of reps to be a good watch, and look as closely to the real deal as possible, hopefully having no major flaws. But if there is no real version of a rep well that kinda kills the purpose as it would then be an obvious fake to all that know such a watch was never made by the brand that is on it.

narikaa

Wrong

The purpose of a rep is to make money for its producers

If they make it and it sells profitably Q.E.D.

tyrantblade
Wrong

Well I imagine most want a rep that is based on a real name brand watch.

narikaa

Considering the vast tonnage of stuff that isn't that gets produced in China - & here's the surprise for the hobbyist flaw spotter - and gets sold worldwide, most apparently don't

:)

greg_r

Damn silly thread. Simple answer. No.

People buy watches they like the look of. A lot of the so-called 'fantasy' reps are just cheap junk anyhow (although they still sell, so there's obviously a market), but there are a handful of really high-quality watches amongst them - including some real tourbillons. Many of those are good enough watches that nobody but an expert is going to know that it IS a fantasy.

How about this?

miniegi_2_1407210.jpg

It's a 'fantasy' because it's smaller than the gen (47mm rather than 60mm). Personally, I'd rather own this than the gen, because the gen is a watch I would never wear - it's too damned big. Are you telling me that I shouldn't like it?

You buy what you want, the rest of us will buy what we want. Okay?

flottiglia
Wrong

Well I imagine most want a rep that is based on a real name brand watch.

I would say most tourists who buy reps have no idea whether its accurate to gen or a complete fantasy,nor do they really care.They want a flash,cheap holiday souvenir to show their mates.Their mates probably also have no real idea other than they recognise the name and maybe the general shape of the watch.The uninformed tourist is by far the biggest rep customer i would say.The factories make fantasy watches because they can sell them.

The guys on here who are prepared to pay $300 plus for a 95% accurate rep are in the small minority imho.The major factory business is in low end and fantasy reps.

greg_r
The guys on here who are prepared to pay $300 plus for a 95% accurate rep are in the small minority imho.The major factory business is in low end and fantasy reps.

Bingo! :)

NFleischer

Most people (including us serious collectors) can't possibly know all the variations

among the gen brands. Take Hublot & Panerai for example, they produce so many different models that are

similiar in alot of ways. Who's going to realize that they make a blue but not cobalt blue dial??

jameo210369

I like Bingo and I like what I see so when I see a watch that I like I will buy it, if every rep had to be 100% there would be very few reps around.

JohnG
the purpose of reps

Ultimately, this is a philosophical question.

The Purpose of Reps.

Indeed.

tyrantblade

People buy watches they like the look of. A lot of the so-called 'fantasy' reps are just cheap junk anyhow (although they still sell, so there's obviously a market), but there are a handful of really high-quality watches amongst them - including some real tourbillons. Many of those are good enough watches that nobody but an expert is going to know that it IS a fantasy.

How about this?

miniegi_2_1407210.jpg

It's a 'fantasy' because it's smaller than the gen (47mm rather than 60mm). Personally, I'd rather own this than the gen, because the gen is a watch I would never wear - it's too damned big. Are you telling me that I shouldn't like it?

I wouldn't call it a "fantasy" watch because its based on a real watch right? Like for example it has the same details as the real thing (for the most part)?

Pihlippe

How about this?

miniegi_2_1407210.jpg

Where to by? That is on my wishlist. :D

Member X
I wouldn't call it a "fantasy" watch because its based on a real watch right? Like for example it has the same details as the real thing (for the most part)?

But anyone who knows Panerai well would know it can't be real, in the same way that Ska's JLC Tourbillon would be called out by a JLC geek and Silverspeed's SS DJII he's just received would be known to not exist by someone into their Rolexes, so according to your original argument there is no point in them and they shouldn't be produced, despite looking stunning! :D :D

99.99% of people literally never notice your watch, I think I've had one person comment on mine outside of my group of friends and work colleagues, so just buy what you want! :) And if you do get some arse trying to call you out, you can just say you commissioned a custom piece :D and you can say 'enough' when they ask how much it cost... lol

kingpinup

Dude, I totally understand your argument at hand. YES i AM a noob on these forums, and have been learning shloads in the past few weeks. But I myself am about to buy reps of a Pam005, a Breitling Navitimer, a Corum golden bridge, and JLC tourbillon reps... all total about $1100 bucks... that's a decent chunk of money for a 25 year old, even if I am doing well for myself, it makes me think of all the things I could potentially spend $1100 bucks on... plane tickets, traveling the world, renting a sweet little place for a month or two... when you're my age and you have no bills, that goes a longgg way... so anyways, i work with reallllllllly rich clientele... and they will know, when they see my JLC tourbillon, that there's no WAY I could afford a 50k price tag, or even reasonably the 15k price tag of a Corum golden bridge (without being a money stupid youngster, because I have gotten quotes at jewelers).... but I will be glad to tell them it's a rep, but it's my fantasy watch and it still cost me a pretty penny... they will still appreciate that it's a young guy that, whether or not he can afford it, has his sights set on it and respects the finer things in life...

on the other hand, I'm getting two reasonable watches... a Breitling and a Panerai... something that I actually COULD go out today and buy if I wanted to... if I wanted to forgo a month of traveling in Europe, or a month of living in a sweet rented flat in NY... at my age, I think I'll be penny foolish and pound smart, rather than penny smart and pound foolish... I'll by the reps when I'm nicely rich and successful (i.e. 5 years :D ) Oh god I can't wait for that day :)

Hasaf
Maybe its just me, but I believe the purpose of reps to be a good watch, and look as closely to the real deal as possible, hopefully having no major flaws. But if there is no real version of a rep well that kinda kills the purpose as it would then be an obvious fake to all that know such a watch was never made by the brand that is on it.

Not at all. It is about having a style that one likes at a price one is willing to pay. If that style is not an exact replica of a existing model from a premium manufacturer, well, so be it.

What matters is if the buyer likes it. Of course, if your satisfaction comes form having a watch that is indistinguishable form that of a premium manufacturer, then it will matter to you. As such, you would not get satisfaction form a "fantasy" watch. So, it may be a poor choice for you.

In an ideal world all would be available; however, the fantasy watch would include information, for the potential buyer, so that they can be fully informed of how the watch they are considering differs from the original. If monitored, that information would also be useful to manufacturers of genuine watched as it would provide them with a better understanding of the market demand.

By way of example, I am no fan of huge watches. I have a small wrist and they look silly on me. I will tend toward 37-39mm, even if it is not entirely accurate; because, it looks better on me.

ThinkBachs
...It's a 'fantasy' because it's smaller than the gen (47mm rather than 60mm). Personally, I'd rather own this than the gen, because the gen is a watch I would never wear - it's too damned big. Are you telling me that I shouldn't like it?...

I agree 100%, love this version and much prefer it over the monster size- this coming from someone with big wrists.

These gens could be considered "fantasy" because the factory didn't make them that way, but the owners preferred them to be different...

sunbeam3.jpg

16710T_Done.jpg

PXDDS12321copyp41241698832.jpg

PICT0068.jpg

1294505026-750.jpg

Nothing wrong with a fantasy watch if it's something you like- especially if it's done well. Watches have been customized for a long time, and there's a big market for those who prefer something that stands out. Some fantasy watches are a little goofy looking, others are very acceptable because they make sense. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... :)

greg_r
Where to by? That is on my wishlist. :lol:

I got that one from Timesshops. $148 if I recall correctly (I also replaced the strap).

Review here: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...amp;hl=egiziano

BTW - while I'm at it. Another very pretty watch that Panerai never made...

radrgchrono-w-030711.JPG

narikaa

or these

P1020385.jpg

or these cutesy Omegas

P1020411.jpg

All money in the bank to our Chinese friends

:lol:

greg_r

OMFG! :lol:

mondeov6

AAARRRGGHHHH!!!.....MY EYES HURT!! :lol: ....

Vector
:rolleyes::lol:

Ska

KILL IT!!!!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!

sugaray

Is that a Breitling hand on the omega?!?!?!

ThinkBachs
or these...

or these cutesy Omegas...All money in the bank to our Chinese friends

:thumbsup2:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGG!!!!!!!!

fringe-3x06-bleeding-eyes-small.jpg

flottiglia

WTF ,not so much a fantasy as a recurring nightmare.......... :thumbsup2: