TS_Tiger

References to factories

TS_Tiger

Still fairly new, please feel free to point me in the right direction.... 

I've dug around in many references, but haven't found anything. I see many posts where the factory is mentioned. Assuming some are better than others, are there any references for them all? How does one learn about them? I've only found an abbreviation legend. None included the factories acronyms/abbreviations. 

Thanks in advance 

TS 

Edited by TS_Tiger

tribefan

There are some threads out there that go through a number of them, but they change all the time and the models change all the time with different versions.

One way to approach it is to surf the models you want and dig into which factory is best for that specific one. You can also go virtual shopping here:

https://jtime.io/us/shop-by/manufacturer.html

Li at jtime does the best job of keeping his site current, imo. That doesn't mean everything is available, always have to ask. Here you can see all of the models offered by a specific manufacturer ie... factory.

OLDBLOKE74

Build up a rapport with your favourite TD

Tim at watchfinder explains things patiently and Mary watch will tell you what is available. Factories have suffered raids and shutdowns so they change names regularly. Factory is a misnomer - they are sheds and back rooms that assemble watches made from bits sourced from other sheds and back rooms. Amazing what they can provide though - some of the stuff they build is fantastic. ….. but never flawless. Good QC from your TD can help a lot. 
Good luck, DYOR and enjoy the hobby 

• Like 1

GenTLe
8 hours ago, TS_Tiger said:

Assuming some are better than others

It doesn't work this way... 

They tend to specialize on brands or models, so for instance Omegas are either VSF (where F stands for Factory) or OMF, but there have been others too in the past.

Breitling: currently the best is GMF

Rolex: waaaaaay too many of them, BP (cheaper but good, especially with Asian ETA clone movements), CF (Clean Factory), VSF, Noob (in the past, now it's not existent anymore), ASPF and so on...

IWC: ZF is the king, but they do also a lot of other brands like...

AP: JF, ZF, etc etc

Panerai: VSF, XF and others

etc etc etc... They change all the time and not always they are referred from different TDs with the same name/acronym.

So... It's a matter of time, read, comparison, and questions.

TS_Tiger

Thanks all! Clears it up a lot