Abe Fromen

Rep pricing

tribefan
14 minutes ago, CurioLeo said:

Selling something for more than you bought it for is not profiteering.  Selling for more than what could be reasonably bought elsewhere is.

Maybe. Digging for deals and flipping for profit because it is priced below TD prices will get you run out of town pretty quick. 

shyreplover

I actually like how RWI decided to allow "fair price" on popular discontinued watches. The practice has been going on for so long, it is against the forum rule but the admins are ok with it and don't enforce the rule.

I was always on the fence when it comes to noob pam029. When it was available in M2M I felt like I didn't want it, but then I kept thinking it would be nice to have it. Strange feeling. Well the price went up from 200usd to 300usd then to 600usd (recent ad). Yeah I don't want it anymore, but someone else will definitely buy it and enjoy it. Good for them.

The popular discontinued watches are mostly limited to panerais and rolexes and ploprof. I'm sure if someone wants to sell an IWC FA Jones for triple the price, nobody will buy it. Speaking of old watch, I can see myself buying a tag heuer link chrono for an inflated price. Or maybe even the funky Eberhard with 4 chronos.

CurioLeo
23 minutes ago, tribefan said:

Maybe. Digging for deals and flipping for profit because it is priced below TD prices will get you run out of town pretty quick. 

Sure, that IS profiteering. That's literally looking for a bargain to flog off for a profit. That's not really the same thing as what this discussion is about though.

Philiusmaximus
6 hours ago, Mystery Shopper said:

The phrase insinuates that they are poor quality & destined to fail. Many of us have had our reps for a decade or more and they are still going. 

The factories don't turn out new models like they used to so I can see why these old models are popular.

I remember Ding's TC sub going quickly- he just asked us in the staff room what they were going for and it went in a flash.

But they kind of are cheap in a sense. There's always QC issues, timebomb movements, chronos that no one has the guts to use.

Quality is getting better. Maybe by the time they are spot on they'll be as much to buy as the gens.

black263

I have a rep for sale.  I bought it some time ago for , say $300.  The same watch is now available from the same dealer at $500.  If I put mine on sale for $400  I'll make a profit, but the buyer is getting a bargain.  Is that profiteering?

Phoenixboy

before long,  Gens will be going up for sale claiming to be reps:rolleyes:

• Like 4

Mystery Shopper
3 minutes ago, Philiusmaximus said:

Quality is getting better. 

When we talk about profiteering we need to remember the only people who usually make a profit on here are the TDs. VIPs fund the running of the board, staff do it for the community & often it costs them money.

The Chinese factories need to consider whether the industry is worth it for them (we know the risks). TDs need to consider whether the boards are worth it for them (many other avenues to make a sale). Board staff (not ex like me) need to consider if the TDs supported by the board are current, meet the criteria of a TD and give back to the board that recommends them. Too much status quo IMHO.

Like I said- some of the older models that are well made & are tried and proven will be attractive to the market considering the other choices.

Philiusmaximus
7 minutes ago, black263 said:

I have a rep for sale.  I bought it some time ago for , say $300.  The same watch is now available from the same dealer at $500.  If I put mine on sale for $400  I'll make a profit, but the buyer is getting a bargain.  Is that profiteering?

Because you've been honest and said how much you paid then yes but there's definitely folk that would just list source of watch as TD and ask for a fiver less than current price

tonyh7

You can be pretty sure of the quality of a gen. Also comes with a meaningful warranty. Quality of  a rep is always a gamble, and if it goes wrong you are pretty much on your own. I love my reps, but I think if you are paying gen prices for them you need your head examined. For me the cut off is around $250. 

deju
6 hours ago, CurioLeo said:

Sure, that IS profiteering. That's literally looking for a bargain to flog off for a profit. That's not really the same thing as what this discussion is about though.

Again, profiting and profiteering are not the same thing.

But as @tribefan said, if someone was repeatedly having this "luck" and it looked like a side hustle. The outcome wouldn't be favourable.  

GenTLe

From all this discussion I get:

•  damn factories constantly raising the price WAY over the average inflation
  • a rare piece can be sold over its initial value, similarly to what happens in non-rep-watch related stuff
  • my noob 243 is a treasure and should be kept in good order :D
  • there are people with more money than brain (referred especially to the ridiculously priced franken fake watches, because in the end that's what they still are...), but that's just a personal thing: each his own I suppose
  • It seems I'll have to keep in collection my IWC FA Jones...
  • Like 3

GenTLe
8 hours ago, shyreplover said:

I can see myself buying a tag heuer link chrono for an inflated price.

Can't help with that, but if you fancy one of these (black or blue), with gen movement, I can tell you where to get one at 320$ (shipped).

orologio-cronografo-al-quarzo-tag-heuer-

• Like 3

Abe Fromen
16 hours ago, black263 said:

See in an instance like this, I'd dig deep for the extra $100 to get new because who knows what abuse yours has had? No offence but that price diff is close enough to justify getting new. 

I recently when through this when looking for a PAM 960. Used are going for less than $100 than new. I bought new because, new is better than used when the price is that close. 

fatarms
2 hours ago, Abe Fromen said:

See in an instance like this, I'd dig deep for the extra $100 to get new because who knows what abuse yours has had? No offence but that price diff is close enough to justify getting new. 

I recently when through this when looking for a PAM 960. Used are going for less than $100 than new. I bought new because, new is better than used when the price is that close. 

I don't know one PAM from another, except for the really popular numbers (PAM111, PAM187, PAM127) so I googled PAM960.  Only I forgot to add the 0, so I ended up googling the PAM96.

Look at this monstrosity:

ztlgp2.md.webp

• Like 2

BenjaminButton

When Britain was the world centre of horology it was the Swiss, amongst others, who faked British makers time pieces. They were the fakers. Going back a step on a global level when the Dutch were the global colonial super power using their navy and technological boat building skills, the British empire rose from having much cheaper labour, huge natural resources and stealing the designs and Dutch boat building designers to eventually rule the waves. On which ever level those at the top of the tree are eventually replaced in some way by the rising competition who ideally have the resources and much cheaper labour costs. The glory days of Chinese children and indentured labour producing trinkets for us decline and fall fat westerners is itself in decline as they move on up and become the luxury brands or simply turn to more lucrative markets and leave fakery behind. Or summit like that.

black263
On 24/09/2022 at 01:44, Abe Fromen said:

Those figures were hpothetical.  The basic premise was "is it OK to sell a rep for more than I paid, if that's less than current dealer price?"

leonduchateau
4 minutes ago, black263 said:

Those figures were hpothetical.  The basic premise was "is it OK to sell a rep for more than I paid, if that's less than current dealer price?"

On a “free” market place it would be ok. On here I think it’s questionnable, most members will not care to ask more than they paid and if they would it would (in my opinion) contrast a bit w the spirit in this community. 

billywhiz

Flipping new stock/recent stock = a No, No,

Selling something that is old, rare, no longer made, now deemed as a great rep etc = it's own price tag. If its a win for the buyer and a win for the seller, then everyone is happy