Philiusmaximus

I went to school with a Matt Spray believe it or not

• Like 2

BadApple
15 minutes ago, Moondustesp said:

anyone recommend a way of turn a dial matt? Any sprays etc? Thanks 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203030475782

NCRich

Any decent matte lacquer will do.  Make sure you wash the dial with soap and water and let dry thoroughly before spraying.  Any oil from your hands will cause fisheyes on your dial.

• Like 1

AlexFelix

Don't know if that can be helpfull, cause we're dealing with tiny stuff and to see difference could be hard, but since I'm a luthier when I have/need to restore a vintage guitar, the way to go is only one: Nitrocellulose laquer. It doesn't matter how good the quality of the paint you use is, nothing can give you the feel of a nitrocellulose laquer. Plus, it will age with time.

The only cons I can think about is that the laquer tinner is very strong, but you can contest me that most acrylic spray can have thinner too. I'll do some test in the next week, if the paint doesn't came off of the dial, it will be my way to go for vintage stuff as I believe in the 50/60 if a dial was sprayed with something I'm sure it would have been nitrocellulose laquer.

EDIT: For those who casually read it, as @GenTLe said, nitrocellulose lacquer will lift the paint off the dial, so DON'T USE

Edited by AlexFelix

tribefan

Acrylic is fine. Why use nitro if you don't have to. The stuff is expensive and super toxic,

AlexFelix
2 hours ago, tribefan said:

Acrylic is fine. Why use nitro if you don't have to. The stuff is expensive and super toxic,

Well, in term of toxicity even waterbased stuff is toxic. Modern nitrocellulose does not contain lead anymore.

About the cost, a spray can of lacquer is 12€ and a spray can of quality acrylic is 8+€.

The feeling both paint gave is quite different in terms of 'vintage feel' (guitar speaking or car related speaking) , but as said I don't know if on a tiny stuff can matter. Is just what I would use :)

EDIT: For those who casually read it, as @GenTLe said, nitrocellulose lacquer will lift the paint off the dial, so DON'T USE

Edited by AlexFelix

GenTLe
2 hours ago, AlexFelix said:

Don't know if that can be helpfull, cause we're dealing with tiny stuff and to see difference could be hard, but since I'm a luthier when I have/need to restore a vintage guitar, the way to go is only one: Nitrocellulose laquer. It doesn't matter how good the quality of the paint you use is, nothing can give you the feel of a nitrocellulose laquer. Plus, it will age with time.

Nope! While I'm also a fan of nitro based paint, it will lift all the base paint of the dial...

To the OP: be sure to remove all the applied hour markers and logo (if any) from the dial before to spray. I mean the hour markers like on recent rolex, those made in metal.

AlexFelix
36 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Nope! While I'm also a fan of nitro based paint, it will lift all the base paint of the dial...

2 hours ago, AlexFelix said:

The only cons I can think about is that the laquer tinner is very strong

So my guess was right , I'm really glad to hear it, really.

38 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

To the OP: be sure to remove all the applied hour markers and logo (if any) from the dial before to spray. I mean the hour markers like on recent rolex, those made in metal.

Do you have any tip about how to remove the factory lume?

GenTLe
42 minutes ago, AlexFelix said:

Do you have any tip about how to remove the factory lume?

The lume can stay where it is if you don't mind to spray over it. The problem is with the applied markers/logo because where they lie on the dial there will be non-sharp transition after you spray, as the paint will tend to accumulate on the angles between them and the dial.

If you want to remove the luminova from a dial like an old rolex dial without applied markers, then it's a matter of scraping it away, but beware that you can damage the dial too...

About the lifting paint with aggressive thinner: consider that often isopropyl alcohol is enough to remove the paint from a dial, so it should be some really really non aggressive stuff.

• Like 1

Moondustesp

Thanks guys

AlexFelix
56 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

The lume can stay where it is if you don't mind to spray over it. The problem is with the applied markers/logo because where they lie on the dial there will be non-sharp transition after you spray, as the paint will tend to accumulate on the angles between them and the dial.

Oh yeah, I knew that, I think I've read every NCRich thread about modding  :lolcina:

beware that you can damage the dial too...

Easily?

About the lifting paint with aggressive thinner: consider that often isopropyl alcohol is enough to remove the paint from a dial, so it should be some really really non aggressive stuff.

Weird as the acrylic is 3rd most aggressive paint, but in fact I seen NCRich spray acrylic over a cartel dial, so...

Edited by AlexFelix

GenTLe
11 hours ago, AlexFelix said:

Easily?

Weird as the acrylic is 3rd most aggressive paint, but in fact I seen NCRich spray acrylic over a cartel dial, so...

It depends on how it's attached to the base color, normally lumers (if the lume is directly applied on the dial) go over the old one.

Yeah, it depends on the color they used...  For instance the "Linde Werdelin" The One had a super delicate paint. A matte seamaster didn't :)