CurioLeo

AP prices getting beyond stupid ?

CurioLeo

Is this a one-of aberration or the new normal ? 6 figures (AUD) for an AP diver sounds like the seller was high but then again it wouldn't be the first insane AP sale I have seen lately.  Those super rep AP divers are beginning to look like amazing value for money.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/314127432809?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=uqb5aezvssa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=We1bAkViSFa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=SMS

Edited by CurioLeo
Typos

tribefan

I just bought one of these new in the box for $86. LOL.

MTG-M900DA-8_1.png

s-l500.jpg

fatarms

Check out the other items for sale, also 6 figure prices in AUD for other AP's.  Shipping from Japan, negative feedback including accusations of selling replica goods are all met with the same reply - " I'm sorry. It is the effect of coronavirus. "

This seller has all kinds of red flags.

• Like 1

Philiusmaximus

eBay is the first place millionaires go to buy a watch :blink:

• Like 1

leonduchateau

I feel like this is the case for quite a few brands. Interesting to see what the tightening of monetary policy / economic situation will do to the prices. Excess of cash will only diminish the coming months. 

Philiusmaximus
37 minutes ago, leonduchateau said:

I feel like this is the case for quite a few brands. Interesting to see what the tightening of monetary policy / economic situation will do to the prices. Excess of cash will only diminish the coming months. 

Not for the very wealthy. The opposite will happen.

Horace Derwent

I always tought that , in a world of overpriced wathces, AP (and Panerai) are the MSOT overpriced brands of them all.

C'mon, both the Royal Oak and the Royal Oak Offshore (some of them are really ,really ugly !!!) are crazily ,crazily priced. 

The only 'good ' thing, apart of iconic look, is that AP calibers are something ....but other brands have even better calibers  for less money .

Finally, for a brand that is part of the 'Holy Trinity' (and it does NOT deserve to be there anymore in my opinion ) , it must be noticed that they had - in 50 years - only  ONE hit : the Royal Oak.

I'm a lucky owner of a Millenary 4101, but that watch was very controversial and it did NOT sell so well. Also the Code 11.59 (How stupid can be this name be ???)  was a FLOP.

So, lucky for them that the Royal Oak is a staple....

• Like 1

Mystery Shopper

These prices are double the price of the VC Overseas I was looking at last week :bugeyes:

Horace Derwent
1 hour ago, Mystery Shopper said:

These prices are double the price of the VC Overseas I was looking at last week :bugeyes:

And this says it ALL.

Crazy prices AP, crazy. 

And, please keep in mind we are talking abount Stailness Steel watches.

You can buy a Blancpain Villeret in Solid Gold for less than a SS Royal Oak.

Nuff Said. 

leonduchateau
9 hours ago, Philiusmaximus said:

Not for the very wealthy. The opposite will happen.

How so?

Philiusmaximus
50 minutes ago, leonduchateau said:

How so

Rich get richer, poor get poorer.

I'm no expert, but during pretty much every economic downturn it's those on the bottom rungs that get hit. The wealthy keep afloat and, quite often, do very well out of it.

• Like 1

Horace Derwent
21 hours ago, Philiusmaximus said:

Rich get richer, poor get poorer.

I'm no expert, but during pretty much every economic downturn it's those on the bottom rungs that get hit. The wealthy keep afloat and, quite often, do very well out of it.

Yes,

beacuase of inflation:

Guy A is poor, he will see his House Mortgage , Car Loans, Gas, Light, everything will be more epxensive.

Maybe he will sell the house under its value, because he cannot afford it anymore. Maybe he will sell his car , beacause he cannot afford the Loan anymore.

Guy B aleady has a (couple, maybe three) House(s), he already paid his car(s).

So he can put his assets in Deposits, or Stock Excange, the % will be higher and hgher beacause of inflation....

Simply said: in an Economic Crisis, Poor will  be Poorer, Rich will be Richer ,

Edited by Horace Derwent

tribefan
On 26/09/2022 at 06:17, Horace Derwent said:

You can buy a Blancpain Villeret in Solid Gold for less than a SS Royal Oak.

YES, YES, YES

https://www.chrono24.com/audemarspiguet/royal-oak-offshore-diver-black-dial-15710st-2020-unworn--id15703430.htm

Same watch going for $32K on chrono.

https://www.chrono24.com/blancpain/blancpain-complete-calendar-40-mm-villeret-moonphase-ref6654-3640-55b--id21112279.htm

$20,600. You can throw in a no date sub and be even.

GingerApple
9 hours ago, tribefan said:

But that gold monstrosity looks like the sort of watch Ali Express knocks out for $7 delivered. Absolute vom fest. I'd rather overpay for the AP and have my penis and nipples sliced off with a cheese grater than  wear that gold horror show.

Horace Derwent
1 hour ago, TheGingerFerret said:

But that gold monstrosity looks like the sort of watch Ali Express knocks out for $7 delivered. Absolute vom fest. I'd rather overpay for the AP and have my penis and nipples sliced off with a cheese grater than  wear that gold horror show.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum.

The Gold Monsstrosity ? One of the most elegant Gold watches EVER created ? OF course you're joking Chief !

100 % you're Ironic  Boss !!

I mean, the AP Offshore  is a 'mithycal' watch, but in my very ,very humble opinion, it is a Luna Park Watch

audemars-piguet-els-club-dubai-two-tone-

We are here respecting this Overpriced  horror only beacause Audemars Piguet is written on the Dial.

C'mon.

Edited by Horace Derwent
  • Like 1

Horace Derwent

I re-up his thread beacause i find out how much the White Ceramic Perpetual Calendar Royal Oak  costs, in GEN :

https://www.chrono24.it/audemarspiguet/audemars-piguet-royal-oak-perpetual-calendar--id12920595.htm

428.432 €.

@CurioLeo : you are 100 % Right. Thse prices are NOT high, or insane, or whatever.

They are plain and simple S T U P I D .

I am genuinely astonished. Really. It's absurd. The price i mean; it's ABSURD.

GingerApple
6 hours ago, Horace Derwent said:

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum.

The Gold Monsstrosity ? One of the most elegant Gold watches EVER created ? OF course you're joking Chief !

100 % you're Ironic  Boss !!

I mean, the AP Offshore  is a 'mithycal' watch, but in my very ,very humble opinion, it is a Luna Park Watch

audemars-piguet-els-club-dubai-two-tone-

No irony! I loathe that tacky gold thing. Admittedly those colorful APs above are also disgusting, but I'd wear the G-Shock above before the gold thing. What we can agree on is that ALL the prices are ridiculous and unjustified.

Philiusmaximus

The UK folk will get this, but when I think of AP I instantly relate it to facelifted  businessmen with about as much class as that monstrosity posted above. AKA Charlie Mullins.

Horace Derwent
1 hour ago, TheGingerFerret said:

No irony! I loathe that tacky gold thing. 

So,

you HATE every Gold Elegant Watch ?

I mean: AP Jules Audemars, Ulysse Nardin Classico, JLC Master Control , Blancpain Villeret, Rolex Cellini, Breguet Classique and others, Piaget Altiplano, Vacheron & Constantin Patrimony , Chopard L.U.C. and many others that i forgot ?

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Edited by Horace Derwent

BadPickle
8 minutes ago, Horace Derwent said:

So,

I mean: AP Jules Audemars, Ulysse Nardin Classico, JLC Master Control , Blancpain Villeret, Rolex Cellini, Breguet Classique and others, Piaget Altiplano, Vacheron & Constantin Patrimony , Chopard L.U.C. and many others that i forgot ?

That’s how he gets you, with his blatant spupidity and poor spelling,  :digging:

• Like 2

tribefan
1 hour ago, Horace Derwent said:

So,

Consider an arm covered in freckles and orange hair. Nuff said.

GingerApple
59 minutes ago, Horace Derwent said:

So,

Pretty much. Not my cup of tea. I prefer more of a diver kind of vibe. I can't actually recall a gold watch I'd wear. It's not just the gold though, it's the design. I'd hate that watch in steel too. All those old fashioned looking dials with moonphase are disgusting to my eyes. The sort of watch a stinky, crusty grandad with halitosis and a penchant for young boys would wear. And before Deju/someone posts the 'show me where the bad man touched you' meme, no; they're just fucking ugly watches.

GingerApple

For example, these are all absolutely fucking horrific imo. Chinese tat alikes:

zBFNVo.png

tribefan
3 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

For example, these are all absolutely fucking horrific imo. Chinese tat alikes:

zBFNVo.png

I actually agree with you on these. But I am very partial to the Villeret. It is a simple non-cluttered dial, easy to read with day, date, number and month. The moon phase could go, I'll give you that, but it also wouldn't stop me from buying one. Also, I do not really go for yellow gold, but rose gold, yes.