JSebwc

Tudor Snowflake Sub build 94110

JSebwc

Ive been wanting to try my hand at a blue snowflake sub. Ive wanted to build a really beat up vintage Tudor sub that looks like I found it at the bottom of gear bag.
beat up, faded, water damaged , you name it. a watch with a story. The tudor 94110 snow flake sub is the cousin of the 5513 but since im board to death of rolex subs I wanted to see if a Tudor would grow on me.

These were my inspiration

ztFCgv.jpg

ztFpMK.jpg
Ordered all the parts from raffles and when they arrived this week I got to work.

The dial
honestly. not a fan. the print on the dial is crisp but in person it looks a bit blue/white like the blue is bleeding thought the white print.. not very bright but its clean.
The dial is more royal blue than navy blue. but for 40 bucks you can expect perfection. So I had no regrets aging the lume and water damaging the dial.

Aged the case with some sweet dings , dents scuffs.

ztFTo1.jpg

ztFXTj.jpg

ztFd04.jpg

ztFMNX.jpg

I roughed up the inserts and put them to soak to age them.....lost track of time and they sat for a bit longer than needed and I ghosted them one had a bit of paint remaining so I used that one. The ghost effect is cool but not what I was after...I wanted a faded blue. I'll order a few more and try again.
These faded inserts may be up for grabs if anyone is interested hmu.

ztF4tc.jpg

ztFw5I.jpg

ztFuKi.jpg

That's how she currently sits. Its not love at first site for me. with the silver grey ghost bezel and blue dial it feels kinda like a yacht master at quick glance. I am not big into subs but I thought I would give this a shot and it was a fun exercise I do have a domed crystal coming for it and once that is installed and a faded blue insert - and maybe a different dial I will come around

anyone suggest a better option for a blue snowflake dial?
\\\

As always comments and questions welcome. Thanks for looking

• Like 1

NCRich

Helenarou has a much better dial.  The text on the rafflesdial is light blue and you can't unsee it.  However if I remember correctly the Helenarou is the correct 26 or 27ish mm and the raffles is 29 mm.  So that case wouldn't work.  For an inexpensive build the JK case is the correct one.

Pretty nice though, for the components.  Everything comes down to $$.

• Like 1

WatchGeek5711

cool Build id just throw a blue like new esk insert on and keep it that way.

i think the dial is very good.

tbh when it comes to Vintage its down to how you feel about the build.

noone really can tell if a watch is build to look vintage or the real deal in reality.

i tested this with my Budget 1680 build around a few vintage collector friends that also collect gen & reps before.

zB1UzJ.jpg

Edited by WatchGeek5711
  • Like 1

WatchGeek5711

A thing i usually do is work the case to vintage specs.

cg modding, lugs thinning and re beveling and re polishing after etc etc.

zB1YL8.jpg

Edited by WatchGeek5711
  • Like 1

WatchGeek5711

The most important part on the builds is that you are happy. As i said but to me CGs are one of the most sawed after things when it comes to vintage subs tudor/rolex

zB1rcI.jpg

• Like 1

WatchGeek5711

Also for the dial, in the past i used to paint dials with a juuuust a tiny layer of yellowish glue that used to break a bit so dials looked.. spider esk.

i also put em in the oven and i even cigar smoked the white lume dots under a glas to yellowishy.

all my builds are on a budget too.

i often build watches with gen dials for friends also non gen dials just as fun projects, cause i like it :) 

i can only recommend just taking 500 bucks order 2 case sets and dials etc. use the nh35 or eta clones and get to work.

A build is nothing to rush too. 
overall i think youre doing great!

1 hour ago, NCRich said:

Helenarou has a much better dial.  The text on the rafflesdial is light blue and you can't unsee it.  However if I remember correctly the Helenarou is the correct 26 or 27ish mm and the raffles is 29 mm.  So that case wouldn't work.  For an inexpensive build the JK case is the correct one.

Pretty nice though, for the components.  Everything comes down to $$.

The JK cases are solid starters to mod and reshape to ones liking indeed.

i used to buy a few 1680s from Sead when they was availiable,

with some sanding down every dial fits. Just gotta work it out. 

JSebwc

@NCRichYes , so ive head    I see raffles has another blue dial with whiter print but the lume is aged and I prefer to buy the  white lume and age it dial and hands at the same time for consistency.   had I noticed the other option I may have gotten it and just tried to get the hands to match.

@WatchGeek5711

Thanks  for the comments and info.   I am not big into subs but I thought I would try one of these and see if It grew on me.  So far not really. 

Ive been building for a number of years now and focus mostly on gmts but more so explorers   that's my jam

So, could your collector friends tell its a rep?    Your watch looks legit so I can see them being fooled easily  

I got what I expected from this build , well other than the inserts....that went off the rails but they still turned out cool  Im sure someone will want this watch when I put it up for sale.   it just doesnt tick the boxes for me

or I might just swap in a millsub dial and hands and  pull of the bezel and call it a day.  Yah I know about the fix spring bars..I think I can probably press some in or not.

this beat up example just fetched 120 000+  at auction.

zB1smn.md.jpg

WatchGeek5711
1 hour ago, JSebwc said:

@NCRichYes , so ive head    I see raffles has another blue dial with whiter print but the lume is aged and I prefer to buy the  white lume and age it dial and hands at the same time for consistency.   had I noticed the other option I may have gotten it and just tried to get the hands to match.

@WatchGeek5711

Thanks  for the comments and info.   I am not big into subs but I thought I would try one of these and see if It grew on me.  So far not really. 

Ive been building for a number of years now and focus mostly on gmts but more so explorers   that's my jam

So, could your collector friends tell its a rep?    Your watch looks legit so I can see them being fooled easily  

I got what I expected from this build , well other than the inserts....that went off the rails but they still turned out cool  Im sure someone will want this watch when I put it up for sale.   it just doesnt tick the boxes for me

or I might just swap in a millsub dial and hands and  pull of the bezel and call it a day.  Yah I know about the fix spring bars..I think I can probably press some in or not.

this beat up example just fetched 120 000+  at auction.

zB1smn.md.jpg

With the right insert and a bit of lug re finish and beveling/champfering thats a top notch rep you build.

the tudor is a sub style too!

and no my friends was suprised its a build, im sourcing parts of a 1675 gmt for my next build atm.

Id be glad to see more of ya builds!

Edited by WatchGeek5711

WatchGeek5711

Tbh not many collectors can tel the diff between build & gen unless they are experts on vintage and know what excatly to look for

• Like 1

BadPickle

theres a viet/ebay seller who does these dials. you gotta contact through WhatsApp if you want the number i'll see if i can find it

Abe Fromen

I did a build on one about eight years ago. I used a Helenroo dial and what a rabbit hole it was.... from having the lugs drilled and the case softened, to the engraving on the case, to finding a period correct Tudor rotor and having it installed on the almost correct movement (eta with date, but had the date wheel and click on the keyless removed). Sold it about four years ago. 

• Like 1