Undinist

How hard would it be to customise this dial?

Undinist

This Luminox has tritium tubes but no lume. How hard would it be for a first timer to paint the big numerals with luminous paint? 

I'd also like to paint the text in  the middle of the dial (P38 Lightning Automatic 200 meters) matt black, so it pretty much disappears. Same with the logo and the shiny edge of the day-date window.  And probably the small 13 to 24 on the inner ring.

hBYFEWE.jpg

Here's a similar model. As you can see, the numerals sit proud of the dial.

1EwiJg5.jpg

RhZM0Wu.jpg

tribefan
45 minutes ago, Undinist said:

How hard would it be for a first timer to paint the big numerals with luminous paint? 

Super easy, but it will look like hell.

• Like 2

Undinist

Having looked at some how-to-do -its on youtube, I'm inclined to agree.

Aramis2288

I had several mental meltdowns while trying to mount the hands straight. Don't even wanna think about painting the dial.

AlexFelix
47 minutes ago, Aramis2288 said:

I had several mental meltdowns while trying to mount the hands straight. Don't even wanna think about painting the dial.

lool

Imagine installing your fist set of hands, you don't notice the minute hand touch the hour hand around 13-15 and the crown start to become hard while turning, so you keep pushing and fuckup a newly installed movement

Edited by AlexFelix
  • Like 1

Aramis2288
25 minutes ago, AlexFelix said:

lool

Imagine installing your fist set of hands, you don't notice the minute hand touch the hour hand around 13-15 and the crown start to become hard wile turning, so you keep pushing and fuckup a newly installed movement

Ok, here you outperformed me mate, lol :D

AlexFelix
1 minute ago, Aramis2288 said:

Ok, here you outperformed me mate, lol :D

Here to serve :D 

I then found the minute hand was lightly tilted, and I literally destroyed 4 teeth on a tiny wheel under the dial side of the movement while forcing the crown to turn. Since those are cheap, no spare parts available, and bought another new one.

Undinist
5 hours ago, Aramis2288 said:

I was intending to paint it without removing the hands. just tuck them out of the way at 12 noon.

Undinist

So I bought one for £450 on ebay. Hasn't arrived yet. Is it cheap enough for me to just have a go?