AlexFelix

Rolex Sub Oman dial re-lume

AlexFelix

So, here's my attemp at re-luming this Rolex Oman dial. What I did:

-Wash the dial with soap and water
-Spray 4 light coat (crossed) of matte acrylic
-Scrape the existing lume while trying to not damage the black paint; if you do it carefully you will see a tiny little spray paint edge where scraped
-Relume using green powder mixed with white glue and colors with waterbased color; I applied the lume paste using my tiniest jewelry plier, no tape or whatever, free hand

Whats next?

-Let it dry overnight
-Evaluate if another lume paste application may be needed
-Spray another 1 or 2 light coat of matte acrylic lacquer

The hardest part of the job was indeed scraping the old existing lume which was VERY hard, and then to keep the density of the lume paste consistent while go on. It gel pretty fast and sometimes I had to re-mix it with a drop of water.

Now onto the pics. On the first one you see the scraped factory lume and the first application of the new one. On the second the finished job.

Consider you're watching macro shot, so every defect is amplified x3. But you don't need to be damn perfect or better leave the factory lume :)

zpvJDk.jpg

zpvVqo.jpg

Edited by AlexFelix
  • Like 1

AlexFelix

OF COURSE, this morning I woke up completing not liking it, so I HAD to relume it:lolcina: and spray another couple coat of matte lacquer.

Did a lightly aged white lume this time. Much better now.

zCLcUo.jpg

And a lume shot. Added much more powder also

zCLgBJ.jpg

That dial fit an NH34/35/36 movement, don't know if I'll use it or sell it. 

Edited by AlexFelix

NCRich

What are you using for binder?

AlexFelix
3 hours ago, NCRich said:

What are you using for binder?

Pritt vinil white glue, as you suggested me, Sir;

I'm still fighting finding the right balance of powder and glue, and its relative density. If too dense doing straight line or squares is a pain. if too liquid it dry completely flat and look terrible. Doing 2 application is thing but I'm not convinced so much...

I still have 3 dials to practice on. Must say that for me the hardest part of the work atm is spraying the lacquer in a way to creat that sort of texturized/leather effect. 

Edited by AlexFelix

wozurd

looks like it would be hard work to get these relume jobs absolutely perfect, beyond me for now lol