Svenborg

Casioak G Shock, cool or not

Svenborg

There seems to be a cult like following around Casio G Shock developing over the past few years. I’ve owned a Casio for years, climbed mountains, snorkelled, camped, hunted, and then a couple of things in between. In the 15 years the only thing that went is a pin on the strap, which costs about $1 to replace.

So now I see my son starting to collect watches. Yes he has the AP, Rolex, Patek in his sights, but he will have to go replica for some time still before he has a hope of the gen.  Let me say upfront he is 19 years old, for some context.  But on his gens he likes Hamilton, Seiko and  casioaks. He has bought two Casio 2100 series watches with bluetooth  and solar. He has then bought the AP “upgrades”. It is still a G Shock, but from a distance looks like he is wearing an AP. I must say I was very skeptical about all of this. Is it taking a watch which is meant to withstand almost anything and creating something with an identity crisis?

Strange thing is this, the place he bought it from is a massive Casio authorised dealer. When I say massive, they are massive and sell thousands of Casios every month.  They also sold him the Generation 5 modifications for the G Shocks.  Holding the Royal Oak strap in my hands, it feels like a Royal Oak strap. . He also has the rubber straps, which although they say neither AP, nor Casio, are great reps and very good quality. Not the type of thing you see on AliExpress. Which is really just crap. These were not cheap. About $140 for steel case, bezel and steel strap.  The rubber straps are about $50. There are Casio watches that cost less than that

I know it is a bit of fun and being able to swop bezels, straps, etc. is great for someone just starting out.  Are Casioaks with modifications cool or not?

It is starting to grow on me.

Devil

As someone that once owned around 10 of the GA2100 series, I really like them, and for what they are and price point it's hard to beat... 200M WR, more accurate than any rep, the list goes on...

If you/he likes them, then I would say they are a great place to start especially if he ever wants to go down the modding route.

Svenborg
6 minutes ago, Devil said:

As someone that once owned around 10 of the GA2100 series, I really like them, and for what they are and price point it's hard to beat... 200M WR, more accurate than any rep, the list goes on...

If you/he likes them, then I would say they are a great place to start especially if he ever wants to go down the modding route.

Thanks, I think this is his first jump into modding. Like he says, if he messes it up, it is a few $. But, considering the inner case is carbon and waterproof, it will stay that way. He is just messing with the outer appearance at the moment. Although he has already started speaking about changing out the hour markers, which means he needs to open the case. Unfortunately with the B2100, it seems the hour markers are attached between the glass and the case. Unlike the 2100, where the markers are attached to the face with double sided tape and can just be pulled off and replaced with others. He will have to get himself a watch glass removing kit. So this is how it all starts. We get one watch and then at age 50 we can hardly remember all the watches that have gone through our hands. 

There are also a couple we wish we could forget after trying to modify them and making a mess of it.

• Like 1

FudgyDocker

@Khronos is the G-Shock king of this forum!

• Like 1

Aramis2288

I always knew there is a cult around G-Shocks. I never liked them, mostly because they are plastic and non-mechanical. Of course, there is nothing wrong with it, but they just never made my heart beat faster. Recently, however, I became aware of all of these metal mods. Then Casio started releasing metal models. Some on a rubber strap, some on a metal strap. And, damn, they look good! For a fairly reasonable price, you are buying an iconic watch that gets respect from almost all watch collectors, is highly practical, modifiable, and indeed can withstand a lot more punishment than automatic ones. You can even go as far as making a hydromod on them.

In my opinion, the newer models are VERY cool.

Edited by Aramis2288

Khronos
On 10/10/2022 at 22:18, FudgyDocker said:

@Khronos is the G-Shock king of this forum!

Oh, you... :wub: :D

I absolutely hate the CasiOak, it does absolutely nothing for me. So my royal status is of no use in this thread :)

I'm more of a Mudmaster/Rangeman /square type-a-fella. 

Philiusmaximus

Likewise, I don't see the appeal. My only g shock is my go-to gym watch and it's this one

zdOBHX.jpg