Sign in to follow this  
Harley357

Mysterious Strap shrinkage?

Harley357

Hello guys!

The 22mm leather strap on my orange Planet Ocean has suddenly shrunk to what looks to be 20mm width. Anyone have that happen and how can I fix that without doing damage to the strap?

Any way to stretch it?

I love that watch and strap combo but that gap is driving me nuts...

Shrinkage.jpg

houndoggie

Are you sure that your lugs didn't grow bigger?? LOL.

I can't think of a way to fix it...

Harley357

I know this is weird. I have seen this once when I was trying to to "vintage" a rep strap for a PAM. Put it out into the sun to dry after I had finished with bleaching and all and it also shrank.

This Planet Ocean strap never got wet or anything. It's just from the the dry heat here I guess. 2 weeks ago it was just fine. I had it for at least 6 month.

iabounty

If it was a guitar I would say the humidity level in its enviroment has been too low and caused the contraction.....

Leather if tanned properly is stable......

Is it possible it is not real leather.....

A Chinese watch material strap perhaps?

Harley357
If it was a guitar I would say the humidity level in its enviroment has been too low and caused the contraction.....

Yes it's a rep strap, but I am pretty sure it is real leather. I tested it with mink oil at a small area and it soaked right in.

iabounty

Yes it's a rep strap, but I am pretty sure it is real leather. I tested it with mink oil at a small area and it soaked right in.

Has it start4d to get swollen yet?

JoeyB

You thinkin' fore-skin?

iabounty

You thinkin' fore-skin?

Yep...

houndoggie

See, Harley, there is about a 3 post limit here before things get raunchy..

Harley357

You thinkin' fore-skin?

Yep...

I knew this thread wouldn't go so well when I used the word "shrinkage" in the subject line. :huh:

JoeyB

You thinkin' fore-skin?

Yep...

Damn Chinese...

JoeyB

You thinkin' fore-skin?

Yep...

I knew this thread wouldn't go so well when I used the word "shrinkage" in the subject line. :jingoism:

Harley, are you of Greek decent?

Harley357

No, but I have studied Greek history a lot and I was there multiple times. Don't speak the language though.

JoeyB

No, but I have studied Greek history a lot and I was there multiple times. Don't speak the language though.

You have very good taste! I am 2nd generation American of Greek decent, all Peloponnese. My Grandfather came from Sparta. He was a huge history fan, and I am too. Nice to know you!

Harley357

Thanks good to hear that!

The last time I was there, I spent 3 weeks exploring the Peloponnese, with base camp in Gythion. 3 weeks of great weather, great wine, great food and all that with a motorcycle. I had the best time of my life :jingoism:

blackbard

Leather is skin. It will shrink over time when it loses moisture. Try rubbbing in a good leather conditioner and it may expand. The only issue is changing the color of the thread.

Hello guys!

The 22mm leather strap on my orange Planet Ocean has suddenly shrunk to what looks to be 20mm width. Anyone have that happen and how can I fix that without doing damage to the strap?

Any way to stretch it?

I love that watch and strap combo but that gap is driving me nuts...

Shrinkage.jpg

JoeyB
Thanks good to hear that!

The last time I was there, I spent 3 weeks exploring the Peloponnese, with base camp in Gythion. 3 weeks of great weather, great wine, great food and all that with a motorcycle. I had the best time of my life :jingoism:

I need to go back soon, haven't been in a while.