paul837

File / resize dial diameter - method?

paul837

Hi,

I have a 29.5mm dial and struggling to find a case for it.

I have a 36mm case which it very almost fits in but its just blocked by the caseback thread. I am planning to file it down to 29.2mm (so 0.15mm around each edge).

Does anyone have a method?

I'm thinking sand paper but might be tricky to file evenly

NCRich

I mount the dial to a dremel bit, and spin it on a piece of sandpaper.  One of the dremel bits is normally used for a cutting disc and I just make a pad for each side of the dial using a piece of business card with a hole in it.  You can spin it then just place the dial in the case opening to see if it fits so you can gradually remove the correct amount.  Sometimes the dremel bits of that type come with a felt pad anyway (if you don't lose it as I did0.

Works quite easily, never damaged a dial and I've done bunches of them.  Doing it by hand would be a bitch.

z748Oj.jpg

• Like 2

GenTLe

Agree with @NCRich, I used the same way, prividing to use a flexible protetion between the dial and the tool.

paul837
4 hours ago, NCRich said:

I mount the dial to a dremel bit, and spin it on a piece of sandpaper.  One of the dremel bits is normally used for a cutting disc and I just make a pad for each side of the dial using a piece of business card with a hole in it.  You can spin it then just place the dial in the case opening to see if it fits so you can gradually remove the correct amount.  Sometimes the dremel bits of that type come with a felt pad anyway (if you don't lose it as I did0.

Works quite easily, never damaged a dial and I've done bunches of them.  Doing it by hand would be a bitch.

Awesome, thanks. I already have the tool for that :) Any idea what grit sandpaper works best?

Edited by paul837

tribefan
5 minutes ago, paul837 said:

Awesome, thanks. I already have the tool for that :) Any idea what grit sandpaper works best?

I'd start with 400-600 and would not go below 320. It goes fast, take your time.