Buddhabar

Is it Gen? Or Not?

Buddhabar

Friends of the Omega Brand...
I ask the expert.
Do you think this Omega Planet Ocean Bezel Insert is Authentic or Aftermarkets?
Thanks in advance for your answers.

Aramis2288

Tough one mate.

How is the lume on the bezel pip performing? Usually, aftermarket parts have a shitty lume.

Buddhabar
5 minutes ago, Aramis2288 said:

Tough one mate.

How is the lume on the bezel pip performing? Usually, aftermarket parts have a shitty lume.

Hi..thanks

It's for sale on an auction site, but the guy who placed the ad is reluctant to give additional information. That's why I ask if anyone is able to tell if it's a gen or fake,

Theduke.williams

Looks like the plastic bag under it is genuine, but that's not saying a lot.

The bag could be from the genuine bezel that now sits on his watch, and thisa could be the rep bezel they took off!

I would say if it's a rep, it's quite a good one, the pearl looks quite convincing.

To be honest, if the seller is being at all reluctant, I would walk away. A genuine seller (pun intended) should be more than willing to provide any additional details requested.

• Like 3

k4jun

More photos (especially of the pearl and "4") would be nice, judging just by this one photo, it looks very gen - like not new - but 8500 insert removed during the service.

• Like 1

FudgyDocker

You got a pic of the flip side?

This is the flip side of a gen LMPO bezel. No point in showing you the other side, as it doesn't have an insert in it. I was told that the fitment is totally different to a rep.

zbvSiQ.md.jpg zbv0CL.md.jpg

Buddhabar
3 hours ago, Theduke.williams said:

Looks like the plastic bag under it is genuine, but that's not saying a lot.

The bag could be from the genuine bezel that now sits on his watch, and thisa could be the rep bezel they took off!

I would say if it's a rep, it's quite a good one, the pearl looks quite convincing.

To be honest, if the seller is being at all reluctant, I would walk away. A genuine seller (pun intended) should be more than willing to provide any additional details requested.

Thanks mate...

I think the same as you. Looking at the details it would seem authentic but I don't trust it. I asked him if she was authentic, but she told me to rely on the photos.

2 hours ago, k4jun said:

More photos (especially of the pearl and "4") would be nice, judging just by this one photo, it looks very gen - like not new - but 8500 insert removed during the service.

HI..I will show two more photos.

Buddhabar
2 hours ago, FudgyDocker said:

You got a pic of the flip side?

This is the flip side of a gen LMPO bezel. No point in showing you the other side, as it doesn't have an insert in it. I was told that the fitment is totally different to a rep.

zbvSiQ.md.jpg zbv0CL.md.jpg

Interesting to see the photo of the original bezel... but I don't know if it will fit mine. My PO is a 42mm non liquid metal.

Here the others pics

This is my planet Ocean when the bezel wasn't scratched.

7b1BtSI.jpg

APjumbo

This is the rep bezel from my 42mm 2500PO (k4jun built)

The one I bought on eBay that is supposedly gen has a half circle notch on the underside (it’s on the watch at the moment)

E0-FC667-D-6338-47-F4-88-B4-2288743-EA76

• Like 1

FudgyDocker
1 hour ago, Buddhabar said:

Interesting to see the photo of the original bezel... but I don't know if it will fit mine. My PO is a 42mm non liquid metal.

Yeah, my one is for a 45.5mm LMPO so it won't fit. But if you look at the underside pic of your one for sale, it has the click spring included. You can just about see underneath where the teeth and the bezel retaining spring are. They look pretty identical to my gen LMPO one.

Can't really offer any more than that, I'm afraid. If you do want it just for the bezel insert, I will warn you that the guy who removed my insert said it took him 2 hours of heating and several goes to be able to separate them, as the Omega glue is so strong that it keeps re-setting, by the time the bezel is cool enough to touch!

• Like 1

Buddhabar
6 hours ago, APjumbo said:

This is the rep bezel from my 42mm 2500PO (k4jun built)

The one I bought on eBay that is supposedly gen has a half circle notch on the underside (it’s on the watch at the moment)

E0-FC667-D-6338-47-F4-88-B4-2288743-EA76

:thumbsup2:

Very clear...thanks for your reply.

Buddhabar
5 hours ago, FudgyDocker said:

Yeah, my one is for a 45.5mm LMPO so it won't fit. But if you look at the underside pic of your one for sale, it has the click spring included. You can just about see underneath where the teeth and the bezel retaining spring are. They look pretty identical to my gen LMPO one.

Can't really offer any more than that, I'm afraid. If you do want it just for the bezel insert, I will warn you that the guy who removed my insert said it took him 2 hours of heating and several goes to be able to separate them, as the Omega glue is so strong that it keeps re-setting, by the time the bezel is cool enough to touch!

:thumbsup:

Based on what you're saying, I'm talking myself out of giving up on the purchase. As long as it comes to replacing the insert I have no problem doing it, but I don't want to ruin my watch by replacing the entire bezel considering that I don't have the equipment to do it. My idea was to just replace the insert. If it is so annoying to detach it with heating etc etc ... better leave it alone.
Thanks anyway for your clarification and so also to all the friends who replied.
Oh by the way.. my PO is NOOB manufacturing.

k4jun
9 hours ago, Buddhabar said:

My PO is a 42mm

Here the others pics

Bezel from op is 45.5 so it won't fit your watch anyway;)

42 bezels do have teeth like i.e. here

• Like 1

Buddhabar

@k4jun 

Your comparison thread is very interesting.

The photographs (excellent) highlight the difference in the varnish on the insert. That on Gen (a) is smooth and homogeneous, while that on Rep (b) is porous and not fluid.

Congratulations for sharing.

Buddhabar

It's sad to see this OP with graphs on the bezel... but maybe it's nice even like this. Lived.09bb1a6f4b5cbcdf24027f6f98710ad9.jpg

• Like 1

NCRich
5 hours ago, Buddhabar said:

It's sad to see this OP with graphs on the bezel... but maybe it's nice even like this. Lived.09bb1a6f4b5cbcdf24027f6f98710ad9.jpg

Did you fall down or something?  :lol:

That hurts to look at it.  I took a tumble on my bike one time and landed full force on my vintage 1680 rep.  Chewed it up far worse than this.  Mine was totaled.

I have a noob like yours.  I forget to wear it but they are really nice.  Sorry for your bezel insert incident.

Buddhabar
4 hours ago, NCRich said:

Did you fall down or something?  :lol:

That hurts to look at it.  I took a tumble on my bike one time and landed full force on my vintage 1680 rep.  Chewed it up far worse than this.  Mine was totaled.

I have a noob like yours.  I forget to wear it but they are really nice.  Sorry for your bezel insert incident.

What a pleasure to read your message Rich. I hope all is well for you and family.
To tell the truth, I didn't fall...but I wore it as a daily beater for almost a month...and with my wrist, unfortunately, it bangs everywhere...and so this is the consequence of the scratches on the bezel and so also some scratches on the glass produced by Sunnydale ... (better than omega glass in my opinion). I wanted to replace the bezel, perhaps with an original one...but frankly it's not worth it. Keep in mind that this mine is almost a franken. He has date gen, Hands set gen, Crown and tube gen and the dial was worked by the famous Kenny with C3 lumen.
There is a good ferrule dealer in Texas, but it costs too much to have it shipped to Italy

https://www.ebay.it/itm/161722635869?

NCRich
On 28/12/2022 at 18:57, Buddhabar said:

What a pleasure to read your message Rich. I hope all is well for you and family.
To tell the truth, I didn't fall...but I wore it as a daily beater for almost a month...and with my wrist, unfortunately, it bangs everywhere...and so this is the consequence of the scratches on the bezel and so also some scratches on the glass produced by Sunnydale ... (better than omega glass in my opinion). I wanted to replace the bezel, perhaps with an original one...but frankly it's not worth it. Keep in mind that this mine is almost a franken. He has date gen, Hands set gen, Crown and tube gen and the dial was worked by the famous Kenny with C3 lumen.
There is a good ferrule dealer in Texas, but it costs too much to have it shipped to Italy

https://www.ebay.it/itm/161722635869?

How much is shipping?

FudgyDocker

It looks cheaper on their own website. However, if you buy through ebay, they add taxes etc and do it through the Global Shipping Program.

https://ewatchparts.com/bezel-insert-for-42mm-case-omega-watch-seamaster-planet-ocean-orange-top-quality-ewp007769

Buddhabar
21 hours ago, NCRich said:

How much is shipping?

HI Rich

61 dollar for shipment.

XFRxz4c.jpg

Buddhabar
20 hours ago, FudgyDocker said:

It looks cheaper on their own website. However, if you buy through ebay, they add taxes etc and do it through the Global Shipping Program.

https://ewatchparts.com/bezel-insert-for-42mm-case-omega-watch-seamaster-planet-ocean-orange-top-quality-ewp007769

Good Idea... Now I'm trying to figure out how much the shipping costs are. Thank you for the suggestion.
Moreover, on the same site they also sell a slightly more expensive model

https://ewatchparts.com/bezel-insert-for-omega-seamaster-planet-ocean-orange-220151-ewp007775 (my model 2201.51)