Krankie

Interesting theory on Rolex gameplan

Krankie

trailboss99

Interesting video, thanks for posting. Like most, I trust Rolex about as far as I can throw them.

tribefan

I would think that if Rolex is going to go big on build to order, it would not be until they opened their new factory in 2027.

Yeah, it is pretty obvious they are trying to upmarket themselves to the greatest extent possible. But there is also a fine line there. If they price themselves only to the ultra high net worth crowd, they are going to need some serious margins to offset the volume losses, and frankly, that is just not their gig, cough cough Richard Mille. They want to price just on the edge of obtainable to drive the flex crowd and move way overpriced DJ's, DD's and subs. The margin on those have to be fantastic. And they need a certain level of volume to drive purchasing power for all of their lines.

• Like 2

tonyh7

They are maxing out on the scarcity strategy.  In Manchester, where I live, there is a Rolex AD in the Trafford Centre. The watches glitter in the window, all displayed with no prices cause you can’t buy them.  How long is the waiting list? I have a friend who ordered two for his twin daughters to celebrate them qualifying as doctors. Both of them now have years of medical experience, but still no watches. 

Across the way is another watch shop, not an AD, with a window full of Rollies all priced at minimum double rrp. 

Horace Derwent
1 hour ago, tonyh7 said:

I have a friend who ordered two for his twin daughters to celebrate them qualifying as doctors. Both of them now have years of medical experience, but still no watches. 

This is utterly ridiculous, and i sencerely hope that one day people will say STOP to this...even if i already know it will not happen !

Ah Rolex....:angry:

Edited by Horace Derwent
  • Like 1

Redfire1066

For me those difficult to obtain over the counter Rolex sports models ...... should the dealers just take those window "Exhibition only" models and place them in a museum to view?  . ..   Just as well might be . . ..   Unless you are lucky enough to be the recipient of a watch . . ..   when all your planets are in line ...... ....  some Rolex owners I have chatted to say ... that the authourised dealers may have an unspoken process of customers aspiring to there ideal purchase. . ... this may mean purchasing models that you where not originally considering, I have heard this many times from Rolex wearing customers.  Tudor looks good to me, as does many of the micrbrands and homage companies.  Are modern top end replicas and homages as good as or better made watches than pre-milenium 80's 90's made Rolex?  I can't help but feel that Omega watches and other brands are stronger now in many ways thanks to the Rolex supply and purchase business model.  Will Rolex ever come to regret this?

trailboss99
1 hour ago, Redfire1066 said:

this may mean purchasing models that you where not originally considering,

Well, yes. There is no way you will be even considered for a stainless Daytona until you have bought a DJ, a sub and maybe an Exp II first. Carefully planned artificial scarcity designed to drive demand and pricing is also heavily in play. You may get the DJ reasonably easily but that sub is going to take you at least a year.

• Like 1

Redfire1066

Is it now for some that the prestige is now actually the success in purchasing?  ….. …. I have noticed that more of the womens models seem to be available to purchase …..These days  I have spotted  far more Rolex on women’s wrists than mens.  That says a lot about the availability of mens models. 

Abe Fromen

Why would anyone buy a genuine Rolex these days? 

• Like 1

Tw3
9 hours ago, trailboss99 said:

Well, yes. There is no way you will be even considered for a stainless Daytona until you have bought a DJ, a sub and maybe an Exp II first. Carefully planned artificial scarcity designed to drive demand and pricing is also heavily in play. You may get the DJ reasonably easily but that sub is going to take you at least a year.

Exactly what I was told when buying a Tudor a few weeks ago. His words where “we build a relationship then a Rolex might come up, there lots of different models of the date just then maybe after a submariner will come along”

Horace Derwent
On 13/01/2023 at 14:41, Abe Fromen said:

Why would anyone buy a genuine Rolex these days? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_behavior

Really, cannot help myself...with all the Glorious and Cool brands over there, what is the appeal of the same GMT II and DSDD and Subs....they are all massively similar.

What i noticed is that some model like AirKing, Milgauss, SkyDweller, aned TurnOGraph are rarely, if never, considered.

I mean, not only is the same brand, but also the same identical watches that everybody (NOT ME !) wants....if you go to Reddit/RepTime is dismal to see dozens of threads IDENTICAL.

Here is my Batman ! Here is my RootBeer ! Here is my Hulk ! And over and over and over again.....bah.

Edit: what i wrote about Reps of course applies on Gens, even Harder.

Whty waiting YEARS to have the same old boring GMT II ? or Submariner ? 

Edited by Horace Derwent
  • Like 1

Abe Fromen
On 13/01/2023 at 16:41, Tw3 said:

Exactly what I was told when buying a Tudor a few weeks ago. His words where “we build a relationship then a Rolex might come up, there lots of different models of the date just then maybe after a submariner will come along”

Like the guy I saw wearing a SS daytona a few years ago. He had no idea what it was when I complimented him but said that he got it cuz he had spend a king's ransom on jewellery for his wife, and the AD sold him this as a gift for being a good, loyal customer. What a privilege lolol - like... thanks for spending $150,000 at our store... please spend $20 grand more (or whatever a SS D is costing now).

Edited by Abe Fromen

trailboss99
On 14/01/2023 at 07:41, Tw3 said:

Seriously, who the actual fuck do they think they are? Even Ferarri doesn't treat customers that badly, it's utter and complete bullshit. Why would anyone even consider grovelling to some dick AD for a crappy, machine-made Rolex when there are so many better alternatives out there for less money? Rolex have completely lost the plot IMHO and that's sad. 

Horace Derwent
6 hours ago, trailboss99 said:

Seriously, who the actual fuck do they think they are? Even Ferarri doesn't treat customers that badly, it's utter and complete bullshit. Why would anyone even consider grovelling to some dick AD for a crappy, machine-made Rolex when there are so many better alternatives out there for less money? Rolex have completely lost the plot IMHO and that's sad. 

Agree, but all considered Rolex il like Vokswagen, not Ferrari.

In the 80s and early 90s , a lot of people would prefer a Breitling Navitimer or a Gerard Perragaux Laureato to a Daytona, im not kidding.

They were similary priced and the brands (Especially Bretiling) were on par.

Rolex is one of the least to desevr to be iconic...i mean, AP and PP and Vacheron are icons.

But Rolexes, especially the usual sport line (Sub, GMT II, Yachtmaster) are honest toolwatches.

Toolwatches which, somehow, became iconic. Bah . Who kows !

Edited by Horace Derwent

Redfire1066
6 hours ago, trailboss99 said:

I think my first choice on the high street would be Genuine JLC .... but for me, I like Reps & Microbrands  . ..  I had a 6 day visit to London last week and as I trunked around the usual suspects of  new & used watch sellers ....I was truly astonished at the second had prices of Rolex . ..  it is nuts and out of control.   April last year I was transiting through Skipol Airport, Amsterdam  . ..  ..   A sales guy in the Rolex shop was wearing a Steinhart!  It was honest and refreshing converstation from him. 

AlexFelix
20 minutes ago, Horace Derwent said:

Agree, but all considered Rolex il like Vokswagen, not Ferrari.

In the 80s and early 90s , a lot of people would prefer a Breitling Navitimer or a Gerard Perragaux Laureato to a Daytona, im not kidding.

They were similary priced and the brands (Especially Bretiling) were on par.

Rolex is one of the least to desevr to be iconic...i mean, AP and PP and Vacheron are icons.

But Rolexes, especially the usual sport line (Sub, GMT II, Yachtmaster) are honest toolwatches.

Toolwatches which, somehow, became iconic. Bah . Who kows !

Well, IMHO, saying that Rolex is a brand with a sort of 'fake' history can ben, and actually is, misrepresenting the truth. 

I can say we all agree that there's brand that have either an iconic style and have better engineered/designed caliber, but indeed Rolex has his part in the watchmaking history.

Then, we can or cannot agree on their policy. I personally do, for example. What I cannot stand is dealers selling at x3 the watch Rolex itself price, for example at 10k, and do nothing about it. Used marketplace is something you can not control and is a different game. If you find someone that want to give you 30/35k for a GMT II you'll be a fool to not sell it. It's all a matter of what you willing to spend to please yourself. 

I'm personally more and more into vintage Rolex, but that's another point and even a more difficult level of the game.

Edited by AlexFelix

Horace Derwent
4 hours ago, AlexFelix said:

Well, IMHO, saying that Rolex is a brand with a sort of 'fake' history can ben, and actually is, misrepresenting the truth. 

I can say we all agree that there's brand that have either an iconic style and have better engineered/designed caliber, but indeed Rolex has his part in the watchmaking history.

Of course i would NEVER affirm that Rolex has no history !

I mean, they're good Tool Watches that somehow have grown to an iconic status . Why the Rollie Submariner and not the Tudor or some other identical Diver watch ? They're tool  watches, they're not myhtical like an AP, PP, Breguet, Blancpain....of course they're very good watches.

IT's all the craziness that surrounds Rolex, their ADs, their lists ,that is somehow ridiculous.

Congratulations to them for pushing so hard and being capale of upvalue theire brand so much.

For a lot of people luxury watch = Rolex. The only brand in extistence !

Vertoxeffect
On 26/01/2023 at 22:08, trailboss99 said:

Literally couldn’t agree more.