Peter4103

Review: IWC 5027 big pilot annual calendar le petit prince from AZF

Peter4103

I promised to write a review on the IWC 5027 big pilot annual calendar le petit prince from AZF a while ago. I have had the watch now for about 6 weeks and have been using it in rotation with my other watches. A rep gen comparison is posted in the sister forum of rwg, but will post it here in the near future too.

First impression when receiving the watch is quite good. It’s a lovely piece and looks excellent. As the big pilot is a little over 46mm excluding crown and over 17mm thick, this watch will not suite everyone. I have a wrist size of 18,5cm and its pushing it size wise, but does fit. I would recommend at least a wrist size of 18cm as otherwise the watch will be way too large and it would be better to go for a Portugieser, which is between 42,5mm and 44mm, depending on the precise type.

The strap which is delivered with the watch is not the one in the pictures when ordering, and instead of a brown calf skin strap its a black leather strap with alligator print. To be honest, the strap is inflexible, and feels cheap, so be prepared to buy a better strap when considering this watch. I’ve opted for a brown leather strap, hand made, with rivets, just like the original and with a price of 160 euro slightly cheaper than an original strap. I wanted to buy an original to be honest, but the delivery time at IWC was over 6 weeks, which I thought was crazy.

I was a bit nervous about the movement and the annual calendar as it’s a complicated movement which might be quite sensitive. When unscrewing the crown however, everything feels quite good, no play, and you can feel the smoothness of the movement. The operation of the watch is as per gen, so watching a video online proof usefull and setting the calendar was child’s play. You do have to rotate through the days, and months, to get to the right day, which in my case was several months, but it did not take more than 5 minutes to set the watch.

Time to have a proper look at the watch itself. The blue sunburst dial is insane! What a beauty! The whole finish of the watch is at real high standards. No flaws detected and everything seems to add up. The printing of the dial is excellent (although as you can read in the comparison post there is a difference in fonts in 2 places -which is the only difference between rep and gen by the way-) and the numerals are beautiful. The annual calendar windows properly display the date, day and month wheel. Dead center and with the right font, size etc.. The case is big as you might expect. With a little over 46mm it is the largest watch I own and I am not going any larger for a watch than this.

The movement is the 52850 movement (adjusted 7750 for what I understood, but I am no watch smith) and is decorated to match the gen movement. The watch has an open case back as per the gen and it looks lovely.

Overall I am quite happy with the purchase. Its a stunning watch and has triggered a lot of compliments already. The difference in fonts is only a minor flaw which only watch geeks like us will be able to tell with the gen next to it, so does not bother me.

I have purchased the watch with @puretime and the service was as I am used to, excellent. I am mentioning this since i noticed a few days ago a small issue and they immediately offered to solve. No need to far as it seems to have been solved already, but great to experience their level of willingness to help.

I have an issue on this forum to add pictures of the watch, but should someone want this, I can try in a reply.

Edited by Peter4103
  • Like 1

Peter4103

3hHFuj.jpg
3hHSZ4.jpg
3hHfn1.jpg
3hHRhv.jpg
3hH0II.jpg

• Like 4

OLDBLOKE74

Thank you for this contribution to the forum - this takes time and energy - much appreciated 

• Like 1

Peter4103

No problem at all, its a hobby. I do appreciate the reply though!

Edited by Peter4103