Peter4103

Review: Pagani Design GMT2 hommage with NH34 movement

Peter4103

I wanted to share my experience with the Pagani Design GMT NH34 watch, which is an hommage to the Rolex GMT Master 2. 

Pagani design recently extended their GMT hommage range to include new models using the recently launched Seiko NH34 GMT movement. For this new line, Pagani stepped up a notch to provide an overall better quality watch at a higher price, ranging from 194 up to 239 euro (or US$ equivalent in the US). It had me intrigued. I was already reading a lot about the new Seiko NH34 automatic GMT movement and it has received many good reviews. It’s not a hugely expensive movement and I was wondering if it would fit any of the GMT reps I like, such as for example the 6542 or the 1675. I strayed off of that path as it became quite complex quite quickly and I wear watches more than I take them apart, which I don’t really do to be honest.

Therefore I just took a deep dive and ordered the Pagani Design GMT Pepsi with NH35 movement, as I wanted to try the watch out on my Vegas vacation last week and I do not travel with reps nor with expensive gens for all kinds of reasons.

I ordered the watch locally on Amazon and, althoug they do not ship from within the same country, the watch arrived next day. At first glance the box looked a bit cheap, but it did what it needs to do, protect the watch. Effective. After taking the watch out of the box the first impression did not disappoint. It looks its part and weighs about the same as the Rolex GMT. However, and let me state this for all the Rolex enthusiasts out there, this is not a Rolex by any means. It’s a low priced hommage, nothing more and nothing less.

The bracelet is lighter in weight and feel than the Rolex one, and certainly feels cheaper. Nonetheless the finish is quite good for a watch in this price range. It even has screw down pins to shorten the bracelet. So screw and pin are one, like with a gen Omega. Much easier and straightforward to shorten the bracelet because of this.

Clasp works same as Rolex and feels as good quality. After examining the watch and checking the movement (yes, it is indeed the Seiko NH34 GMT), which is visible through the open case back design (thus not similar to a GMT2), I moved to set the time and date.

The crown is easy to unscrew and operating the movement feels silky soft. It works quite straightforward. The position when unscrewed is used to manually wind the watch. About 20 to 25 turns should be sufficient to wind the movement. The second position is to set the GMT hand (clockwise) and date (counter clockwise) and the third position is to set the time. No hacking.

Bezel rotation is firm, but with sound when rotating, and does not have any play. Bezel inlay is aluminium / metal like, to be honoring the gen Pepsi bezels of the past. 

The lume on the watch is very, very good, with both the dots, hands and the numeral inserts on the bezel light up in the dark and makes it very easy to read time. Day lume is equally excellent. 

The cyclops does what it needs to do, but is not of the highest quality which makes it a bit hit or miss when trying the see the date. The plexi is not coated with AR, which is both a blessing and a nuisance. It allows the dial, arms and dots to really shine, but reflection is there. Yes, you can still easily read it whilst out in abundant sunshine in the desert, but there is a bit of glare.

As mentioned, I have used the watch when traveling to Vegas and being in the desert every day, and it held up just fine. Truth being said, I am wearing it today as well, although I have plenty of other options and have recently bought a number of new watches. Makes me think…….

In case you want to show off your latest purchase, flashing a Rolex, Omega, or whatever to show off the brand, then this watch is not for you. Are you, like me, an enthusiast loving the design of these type of watches but do not really care about the brand on the watch you might want to give it a try. Worst that can happen is that you spend 239 euro / US$ on a watch you will never wear. Think about it like this, RWI has thousands and thousands of postings from enthusiasts who had just that, but then with a rep 2 times more expensive. ;-)

If appreciated I can post some pictures of the watch to share with all of you.

• Like 1

Redfire1066

Great …. a lot of info for potential buyers  …. :thumbsup2: ….  A picture paints a thousand words. 

• Like 1

Peter4103

3hI2Q1.jpg
3hIhUv.jpg
3hIHxK.jpg
3hI3X8.jpg
3hIAfj.jpg
3hIeh4.jpg
3hI5nI.jpg3hqxBJ.jpg
3hqJRP.jpg
3hqbUo.jpg
3hqSbk.jpg
3hqchW.jpg
3hqg9S.jpg

3hKHj2.jpg

Sorry, tried to get rid of the double load of the pictures, but end up either with 3 sets of the same, or nothing at all.

Edited by Peter4103
  • Like 2

Chainen

Thanks for the review and picture.  I just ordered a Pagani Seamaster homage.  I think it has the same movement and I figured I’d try it for the cheap price.  Glad to see yours gives me hope for mine.

• Like 1

Peter4103

Not sure if its the same, but it might be the NH 35, unless you ordered a gmt seamaster. Keen to know though how their seamaster holds up.

Edited by Peter4103

Chainen

Just checked, according to the website it is the NH35 A.  I am new to this so not sure, but maybe the A designation is the mod to fit a Seamaster.  I will definitely review once I receive it.  Your post inspired me to pull the trigger.

Peter4103

NH 35 (A stands for automatic) is without the GMT complication, so makes complete sense. It is the Seiko automatic movement though, so you should be good movement wise. Enjoy  the watch!

Edited by Peter4103