Sign in to follow this  
JSebwc

Another 1016 Explorer build with Raffles Tropical Mk6 dial - review

JSebwc

On my last order I thought I would try out one of his new tropical brown dials. was not disappointed. (stay tuned for the sub build )

New raffles case with acrylic (apparently they are glued it - caution advised)
enlarged lugs. soften case with some ageing
raffles dial and aged the lume with some brown air brush paint to break up the evenness of the lume tone.
raffles gilt hands -- aged
asian 2824 with date wheel removed and setting lever modded to 2 settings.
Silix rivet bracelet

under bright direct light the dials pop and have a bit of an candy rootbeer colour leaning with a tangerine tone. under overcast skies in natural light it does take on a chocolate tone. The crystal does play a part as light hits it and enters the case , it does darken and lighten the dial around the chapter ring and center so it does create a varied tone to the dial subtle but noticeable.

the finish does have a bit of a metallic effect to it , but subtle , I want to give it more age and depth but deciding which way to go as they are a semi gloss finish and I think dulling down the dial will reduce the metallic effect which I dont want . open to suggestions.

I must say that Raffles has really upped his game the cases he offers are very good quality great machining and nice details. factory drilled lugs - not gen size but enough to get you started. nice lugs and good overall shape. perhaps a touch big but that gives those of us with OCD something to work with.

the dials are miles ahead of what they used to offer. crisp text and the details are way more accurate than they used to be , now he offers albino and tropical options also. the quality and durability of the finish is top notch. Although not a true negative relief gilt dial, the paint used is very good and replicates the tone of a gold plated or brass plate well.

I have worked with Vietnam dials from ruby , mochacha and mq and honestly they dont compare as far as finish . I've had lume fall off a mq dial , paint chip off really easily on mochacha dials . ruby is good but they are getting slow on the communications I hope they are not going under cause they are the best value for a Vietnam parts. But Raffles is really coming in strong and for a 10th + the price!! I hope they continue to expand their offerings.

Disclaimer: (this was not a paid sponsorship or advertisement , the opinions expressed are my own ) but if he is reading this and does want to sponsor me as , give me a call . lol

As always, comments and questions welcome.
Thanks for looking

Raffles stock photo 

3hy121.jpg

Under direct light - led. warn and bright 
3hyYfv.jpg

3hyCF5.jpg

natural light - overcast day.

3hyX6t.jpg

Gen for reference

3hydv2.jpg

• Like 4

NCRich

Looks good. I may replace a dial in a couple of mine.

• Like 1

rm65453

Beautiful work! If you ever decide to sell this one drop me a message 

• Like 1

JSebwc
2 hours ago, NCRich said:

Looks good. I may replace a dial in a couple of mine.

its defiantly worth the pick up for the price.  I still think a matte black dial is the classic staple of the explorer line,  but adding a some variety with one of these and an albino rounds it out nicely.