G_sus

Must be my age...

G_sus

So, as a small wristed guy, I've always been into smaller pieces (Or at least that is what suits me!)

Ever since I hit my mid 30's, I've been increasingly interested in vintage pieces, which is bloody handy my as they are generally on the smaller side

Ive come to a realisation - After 10+ years of being into reps, I've never really investigated vintage models...

Are my only realistic chances of getting something vintage (or at least vintage looking) a Rolex?  Or something quite expensive like a Franken?

Just a thought that hit my whilst browsing Theo&Harris and thought I'd ask the question...

Devil

Would look into vintage Omega's, can get some nice De Villes too.

• Like 2

G_sus

I remember seeing a post about a Omega Contsellation Pan Pie on here a while back on Ali/DH which I may have to revisit

Will be on the look out for good value decent Omegas in future!

Thanks

Edited by G_sus
  • Like 1

Abe Fromen

There are literally hundreds of vintage pieces i wish were big enough for me but they're all sub 40mm. Look on fleabay... Omega, Doxa, Tissot, Glashutte, JLC, Longines... the list goes on. I've seen so many really nice pieces for under a grand and I would pull the trigger if they didn't look ridiculous on my 198cm tall frame. 

• Like 1

Devil

32MwPs.jpg

i have the opposite problem.. some of my grandfathers watches he passed down to me. Little too small for my 7.25inch wrist but wouldn’t sell them for anything :) 

Chainen

If you’re are looking for a new watch with a vintage feel and affordable, check out Lorier Watches.  Just saw this micro brand for the first time while watching the Watch Finder post that Was posted earlier.  Really peaked my interest in the vintage look.

• Like 1

APjumbo

I would go either gen omega or franken rolex.

A vintage omega has been on my list for a couple years now. 36mm in either a black dial, linen, pie pan or what I have been meaning to look into recently is the genta designed ones.

I think there are two, one being more a turtle shaped case and the other being a constellation.

For rolex or Tudor, a cartel/JKF that has had its crown guards worked on or a Viet case is ideal. Then upgrade from cheap rep parts to better ones as you go.

That seadweller white for sale right now at 999euro looks really nice.

• Like 1

GC

32udGY.jpg

Absolute iconic watch, can be worn as an everyday watch (I.e. jeans/t-shirt/loafers or business casual or suit and tie). 

my 2 cents 

• Like 3

tribefan

I haven't seen anything under $1000 I would buy online. YMMV, but anything in that price range is going to be pretty beat. $1000-$1500 you can find some nice Omega's and JLC's with interesting movements. I've been looking for a couple of years and have never pulled the trigger. I'm only going to buy something that is in really nice shape for it's age. Vintage is OK, beat and abused, no thanks. $20K for a tudor that looks like it was fished out of the sea, fuck you.

Generally speaking, the smaller the size, the cheaper the price. Illustratively, a couple of blue Tudor subs just went in the $7K+ range. 36MM and the asking price drops to $4K. 34MM you can get $2K and under. Same with dress watches, you can get much better deals on 34MM. That is too small for me, I know cuz I have one.

I generally scour ebay, chrono, and high volume dealer sites. WUS dealer and private forums are good for getting a sense of what is out there and pricing.

• Like 1

Rx4Time

Just keep in mind whatever you select that some of the vintage watches you may have problems getting parts if the movement needs repair. I would personally take this into account if you decide to buy any of these and make sure that the movement would have a good chance of getting replacement parts. As said, Omega, breitling, IWC are a good options go-to amongst a plethora of others.   You can find a number of decent to good condition examples for well under $1,000 with these brands.   Here is one I had in my possession briefly. I was doing a favor for someone and I put it on the timeographer.   Unfortunately this particular one was in need of a movement service otherwise I actually found it's tapestry dial to be very captivating in person.   If I remember correctly he paid only like 5 or 600 for this.

IMG_20190702_164343b92830652e37f957.jpg

tonyh7

I have a vintage Omega I’ve owned from new. I guess that makes me pretty vintage too. I’ve not done any systematic research, but it looks to me like prices are rising. So if you are going to do it, sooner the better!

• Like 1

BenjaminButton

Big wrist, small wrist. Regardless 40 and below denotes good taste and self confidence anything above 42 is indicative of penile tinyitus.

• Like 1

APjumbo

I’ll admit that I watch a lot of YouTube watch content.

Each person has their own taste there but the common theme among all of them is that sizes are trending downward, towards 39-36mm

Maybe there is still a ton of supply of old omegas out there, but it also makes me wonder if there will be more people than usual looking for one in the next year.

especially around that $800-$1200 range

• Like 1

tonyh7
5 hours ago, APjumbo said:

I’ll admit that I watch a lot of YouTube watch content.

Each person has their own taste there but the common theme among all of them is that sizes are trending downward, towards 39-36mm

Maybe there is still a ton of supply of old omegas out there, but it also makes me wonder if there will be more people than usual looking for one in the next year.

especially around that $800-$1200 range

Not that long ago £200 would get you a great vintage Omega. Much much more now for one in good order.