JASPER185

Asian ETA2813 GMT reliability

JASPER185

Hi, newbie here and I’m wondering if anyone’s had experience with this movement in a GMT.  I’d no idea there was a 2813 gmt, my only gmt experience so far being with the modded Eta2836.   Is this gmt a mod and would it still the case that the 2813 is a less reliable movement?  Any advice appreciated!  

GenTLe

ETA 2813 in the same sentence doesn't make sense, 2813 is the DG2813, which is a clone of the Miyota 82xx series, which again is a basic 21600BPH time/date only, used in the "AliExpress/DHGate" cheaper watches.

There are around cheap GMT that are kind of similar to the 2813, but again those have lower beat frequency (Rolex has 28800BPH) and are relatively cheap movements. Not comparable to rolex clones or the Ghuanzhou 6460 which is the "GMT 2836" which again is based on the ETA 2836. Note: the "GMT 2836" comes in 2 flavours, the good one is the one that has the hand stack made of GMT (nearest to the dial), hour, minute and second hand, which is incorrect for Rolex since Rolex has a hand stack made from hour (nearest to the dial), gmt, minutes, seconds. The "correct hand stack 2836" is atrocious and should be let alone...

• Like 1

APjumbo

It seems to me that a few years ago there would be a good argument to go with a gmt with a low beat or choose reliability over say a CHS 2836.

Now that you can get a watch with a VR3186 (rolex clone) that have so far seem pretty reliable, it seems to make more sense to pay a few bucks more and skip the affordable gmt movements.

Is anyone still buying ICHS 2836 stuff?

JASPER185

Wow! Thanks for all the information on this!  I’ve had the 2836 gmt with the ICHS that you mention in a BB GMT and it’s worked really well for me.  Just wondering about the 2813 gmt (id read they were generally of a lower quality and are priced as such) as I’ve seen a GMT II for sale with this movement.  Would a 2813 have been used as being the only one suitable for the watch?   Do you reckon it could be swapped out for a better movement if it packed up, or is it impossible to say without seeing the watch?  Again, appreciate your help here!    

Edited by JASPER185

Rokerite

The one you are thinking of is a DG3804, which dealers lazily refer to as a 2813, I have a GMT with this inside and it is about 5 yrs old and still works fine. 

JASPER185
14 minutes ago, Rokerite said:

The one you are thinking of is a DG3804, which dealers lazily refer to as a 2813, I have a GMT with this inside and it is about 5 yrs old and still works fine. 

Ah ok, and I expect it’s just a service or swap should it give up.   The DG3804 looks to be all over eBay.  

G_sus
1 hour ago, APjumbo said:

It seems to me that a few years ago there would be a good argument to go with a gmt with a low beat or choose reliability over say a CHS 2836.

Now that you can get a watch with a VR3186 (rolex clone) that have so far seem pretty reliable, it seems to make more sense to pay a few bucks more and skip the affordable gmt movements.

The new BB Pro is being released with it, so a lot will!  I personally would be happy with it, but I'm a 'stick to what you know works' kinda guy...

Rokerite
36 minutes ago, JASPER185 said:

Ah ok, and I expect it’s just a service or swap should it give up.   The DG3804 looks to be all over eBay.  

Far too cheap to service, just buy a whole new movement it would probably be cheaper.

GenTLe
4 hours ago, APjumbo said:

Not for Rolex but for other GMT which are gmt/hour/min/sec absolutely, as it's a good movement :) I.e. it's the one beating inside my IWC Spitfire UTC where they put a disk instead of the hand:

Orologio Pilot's watch utc spitfire edition «mj271» iw327101 IWC |  Gioielleria Aldo Tamburini

Hot Little Xixi

I have two 1675 GMT Masters with 3804 movements in them.  With the 3804 the hand stack and beat rate are correct - early GMT Masters had low beat movements and GMT hands on the bottom of the hand stack. Both watches are running like Swiss watches and I have them both regulated to +3 seconds per day.  3804s cost $40 and are great movements for vintage GMT Masters. 

Hot Little Xixi

Just received an "Asian 2824 clone" movement ordered from eBay about a month ago. Had the fine adjustment screw near the two regulating levers and the one lever was covered by the winding bridge so it looked like a 2824 clone. Metal quality looked crappy and when I put it on the timegrapher it was running at 21,600! Fuckers!!! Bought it with PayPal so I got it refunded. What a scam. You have to be careful. They're apparently making clones of 2824 clones. I've learned to spend more and only buy Seagull or PT5000 movements for 2824 clones. 

GenTLe
43 minutes ago, Hot Little Xixi said:

Just received an "Asian 2824 clone" movement ordered from eBay about a month ago. Had the fine adjustment screw near the two regulating levers and the one lever was covered by the winding bridge so it looked like a 2824 clone. Metal quality looked crappy and when I put it on the timegrapher it was running at 21,600! Fuckers!!! Bought it with PayPal so I got it refunded. What a scam. You have to be careful. They're apparently making clones of 2824 clones. I've learned to spend more and only buy Seagull or PT5000 movements for 2824 clones. 

Yes, they are around, be careful.

I.e. anything under 40/60$ is a fake clone,  check out here below (left/up the bad one; right/down the real 2824 clone

Hc50ca8d16f544f119c30c48bab0d7de6n.jpgPer-Seagull-St-2130-V8-Edition-sostituir

The problem is that, when seen from behind, it SEEMS like a real 2824 unless someone is really into movements and notice that on the bad one there's no cutoff for the regulating arm on the balance bridge, the end of the hairspring is screw fixed, the regulator is different from the ETA one:

H2db6eaa3a4bc4761897dc3f28a06cb27r.jpg S7a901006605b4b2fbae8ede06218dc65e.jpg

Those upper are respectively:

- BAD one at 26€: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003371654118.html

- GOOD one, at 55€: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003764440644.html

Hot Little Xixi

The top one looks like the POS I returned. But it has the bottom like a good 2824 with the one regulating arm mostly covered by the winding bridge. I only looked at the bottom photo when I ordered it (and I chastise my BF for only looking at bottoms!...) It was a "deal" around $30  instead of the usual $60-$70 for 2824 clones I looked at. Fucking AliExpress wouldn't respond so I had to get my refund through PayPal. I'm done with those idiots. I ordered two sets of hands from them around the same time and I'm still getting daily email updates from AliExpress saying they'll be arriving in late March. It's now almost May...I had to get refunded through PayPal and they still keep sending me email updates...

I'm seriously thinking about ordering and trying a 6460 in a project I have laying around. As long as the 2824 hands will fit I'll give it a try. Thanks for your valued input.

Huge wet kisses-

-Xi