DarenM

Omega VSF QC Timegrapher - Did I get Lucky?

DarenM

My very first Replica Watch purchase - are they all as good as this or did I simply get lucky? 

I was a little nervous at first, to purchase this Omega Seamaster 300 VSF - the whole process of ordering, the emails and "QC", "GL/RL" were terms I was not familiar with.  But what amazed me was that the "QC" videos included a Timegrapher video.  It showed the watch with an accuracy of -1 second per day!  Long story short, when the watch arrived I placed it on my own Timegrapher and the result was the same!  

I have a genuine Speedmaster 3861 and so I sync'd both watches.  After 3 days the Speedmaster was +9 seconds and the VSF was just -2.

So,  has anyone else had results like this? 

3Wlxis.jpg

Edited by DarenM
  • Like 1

tribefan

I have one for sale right now that is at least two years old and this timegrapher shot was taken just before I put it up for sale.

3WC3R5.jpg

• Like 2

Redfire1066

@DarenM  . ..   . . Fabulous to have a Rep that is as good or better at time keeping than a Gen. :D.   I had a Gen Speedmaster Moonwatch  Pro 42 MM, 311.30.42.30.01.006 . ..  sadly I could never get it to keep good time and I found that a couple of Rolex and Omega Reps I purchased with cloned movements where within COSC  . . ..  Makes me think twice before parting with a lot of $$$$ wonga ££££ for Gen watches now  . ..   . . however in balance the Gen OMEGA Speedmaster Vintage 57 Co-Axial Master Chronometer Chronograph that I purchase was absolutely fantastic at keeping time  and while I have moved both these watches on  . . . ..   and sure, sure the prices have risen dramatically so there is an upside to say  . ..  buying Gen's as an investment if that is peoples ambition . . .  .  ... with the '57 is now selling at £8700 (I paid £4000 for a watch that a customer returned to an Omega Boutique as an unwanted gift) and the Moon Watch Pro 311.30.42.30.01.006 version ((I paid £3000 for the Luxury box & accessories  package) no longer available)) now selling NOS for between £5000 & £7000   . ..  . .. all versus a Rep that can easily cost less than a tenth of these Gen prices . .:thumbsup: . ..   and if f you get lucky with a Rep you realise that the big bucks Gen's are actually not worth the money or hassle . . .  Reps, Homages & Microbrands are much better practical options and IMHO more fun.  :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

GingerApple

Totally normal - though you can if course get shitters too. Little wonder we're all  here, right!!! And down the rabbit hole you go....

DarenM
On 01/03/2023 at 10:00, Redfire1066 said:

@DarenM  . ..   . . Fabulous to have a Rep that is as good or better at time keeping than a Gen. :D.   I had a Gen Speedmaster Moonwatch  Pro 42 MM, 311.30.42.30.01.006 . ..  sadly I could never get it to keep good time and I found that a couple of Rolex and Omega Reps I purchased with cloned movements where within COSC  . . ..  Makes me think twice before parting with a lot of $$$$ wonga ££££ for Gen watches now  . ..   . . however in balance the Gen OMEGA Speedmaster Vintage 57 Co-Axial Master Chronometer Chronograph that I purchase was absolutely fantastic at keeping time  and while I have moved both these watches on  . . . ..   and sure, sure the prices have risen dramatically so there is an upside to say  . ..  buying Gen's as an investment if that is peoples ambition . . .  .  ... with the '57 is now selling at £8700 (I paid £4000 for a watch that a customer returned to an Omega Boutique as an unwanted gift) and the Moon Watch Pro 311.30.42.30.01.006 version ((I paid £3000 for the Luxury box & accessories  package) no longer available)) now selling NOS for between £5000 & £7000   . ..  . .. all versus a Rep that can easily cost less than a tenth of these Gen prices . .:thumbsup: . ..   and if f you get lucky with a Rep you realise that the big bucks Gen's are actually not worth the money or hassle . . .  Reps, Homages & Microbrands are much better practical options and IMHO more fun.  :thumbsup2:

Redfire1066, for me it was a total surprise - I never expected anywhere near that accuracy and was even sceptical when I saw the QC video.  I can't tell you how happy I am with this VSF and I have worn it every day since I received it.  I still wind the Speedmaster daily but it remains mostly in it's box now.  I paid £6480 for it (Sapphire Sandwich version)  and after the recent price hikes now retails for £7,400.  Which is why I am dumbfounded that a sub-£400 replica easily out performs it.   I'm now a total convert and have viewed many YouTube videos and read articles in Forums such as this.  Yes - I agree with you:  They are more practical and fun and I am already deciding what my next purchase will be.  Glad to be part of the Community!

• Like 1

DarenM
On 01/03/2023 at 12:31, TheOtherSpareGinger said:

Totally normal - though you can if course get shitters too. Little wonder we're all  here, right!!! And down the rabbit hole you go....

This accuracy is normal?  Amazing! Yep - I'm in the Rabbit hole for sure!  Looking forward to the next purchase!

GingerApple
52 minutes ago, DarenM said:

This accuracy is normal?  Amazing! Yep - I'm in the Rabbit hole for sure!  Looking forward to the next purchase!

Well, that's a better example than average, sure, but it's far from unusual let's say. The weak point on those watches are the dodgy crowns and tubes though so be careful with that. 

Chainen

Yeah, I am new to the rep world too Darren.  I was shocked at the performance.  Because I was buying a rep I assumed that it was really about the brand and was willing to put up with a few minutes +/- per day and would just have to adjust.  Then I came to realize that hey, I got a really good watch that happens to be a rep, and in some cases outperforms the Gen.  

DarenM
1 hour ago, TheOtherSpareGinger said:

Well, that's a better example than average, sure, but it's far from unusual let's say. The weak point on those watches are the dodgy crowns and tubes though so be careful with that. 

Thank you!  Yes I will certainly be careful.  My only criticism is that it doesn't feel great when I have to wind it - but then I haven't compared it to the genuine one, which I looked at some time ago in an AD.  I might just go back and see how the gen feels in this regard.

DarenM
1 hour ago, Chainen said:

Yeah, I am new to the rep world too Darren.  I was shocked at the performance.  Because I was buying a rep I assumed that it was really about the brand and was willing to put up with a few minutes +/- per day and would just have to adjust.  Then I came to realize that hey, I got a really good watch that happens to be a rep, and in some cases outperforms the Gen.  

I had exactly the same thoughts Chainen.  I do think though, that I was particularly fortunate to get one that was so accurate!  It seems to be the case judging from the comment by "TheOtherSpareGinger"  further above.

DarenM

I thought I'd update this thread.  I have been wearing the Omega Seamaster 300 VSF every day and it hasn't missed a beat.  However, my genuine Omega Speedmaster 3861 Co-Axial which was purchased new about a year ago, has broken.  Apparently I have fallen foul of the "Speedmaster 3861 bushing problem"  (Google it - I was surprised!).  

I took my Speedmaster back to the AD to send for warranty repair.  I was surprised that the AD was not aware of this problem.  I had a difficult half hour with the "after sales" person so eventually called the manager, who smoothed things over.   She said to me:  "I see that you are wearing your Seamaster, it is a beautiful watch).

Meanwhile my VSF, worn daily, is still operating at -1 second per day.  In my view, it is better than a genuine.