NH_Vintage

San Martin vs Reps

NH_Vintage

I'm hoping this is a suitable place to get an honest opinion on the question below. Pitchforks were out on Reddit when I tried to start a similar discussion.

Being a newb when it comes to the higher grade rep scene, I've been left in awe with the quality/value for money aspect San Martin offers.

In terms of Reps where does the quality start to superceded that of San Martin and other Ali brands such as Seestern, Cronos etc

Is there a particular factory or brand that I should look out for?

Or will I be left dissapointed with the quality against that I've become accustomed to with the Ali Chinese micro brands.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Philiusmaximus

You know what, I've never had a San Martin.

But I've a couple of reps that have the feel in hand to that of genuine watches albeit not the gens of the watches they replicate if that makes sense. Mainly the very good example VSF submariner and old school Panerai 356. I've had lots of gens and these two have the QC and feel in hand of watches easily in the 1-2 grand mark, maybe higher. However their movements may be crap to a watchsmith's eyes. I've never opened them.

I've also got reps that look spot on and indistinguishable from their gens but the feel in hand is sub par.

Basically I've not answered your question.

NH_Vintage

@Philiusmaximus still appreciate the reply none the less. Whilst I'm under no illusion that San Martin is the be all and end all the value they offer for Sub £200 is in my eyes great.

I've handled and owned plenty of Gens and that build quality shines through...

I suppose the biggest issue for me is I have a taste for Vintage or atleast Vintage style pieces so other than the occasional DhGate shitter or a couple of JKF's from Marv I've never really handled a high quality rep.

One watch definitely on my radar is a rep Longines Avigation Big Eye, reckon I'll give a Panerai a try too (although there endless models are lost on me) any suggestions on a good 42mm Rep?

Also have a real soft spot for the BP 16600

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

gooner2826

I’ve had their version of the Rolex explorer, quality for the money is ridiculously good. Feels as good as any top quality rep I’ve ever had, movement doesn’t come dry as a bone and also a 2 year warranty….. what’s not to love 

• Like 1

tribefan

The thing with reps is you just never know.

I just sold a Omega VSF that ran to chronometer  standards, I had for over two years and bought it used.

I have GMF Wimbledon that ran like a champ, until one day it didn't.

I have an ARF grape OP that supposedly was serviced before i bought it which is utter bullshit. The thing never ran well and now doesn't run at all and won't wind.

Every one of my ZF reps has run fantastically and still do to this day and I've have/had a bunch of them, IWC, Tudor, Blancpain.....

Chrono movement reps are an art of themselves. You should really know how they are modified before you buy them, unless you don't mind trashing a pretty expensive rep. Some of them are just fine 7750 clones that run for years, others can be ticking time bombs, others are modified and not to gen spec functions. The Rolex 4130 clone movement has gone through a bunch of changes and the early versions have issues that the new versions don't.

And for every example I gave you there is someone out there that will say VSF and ZF are shit and their ARF and GMF's have run like a champ for years. There is very little QA consistency on reps, especially when it comes to movements.

• Like 1