Pesman

Rep Ceramic - how do they do it…

Pesman

Morning all, as I nervously await the arrival of my inbound Omega Big Blue, I have, not surprisingly, been lusting over various pics and reviews on line. On Time and Tide (who loved it) they said…

”The case and dial of the Big Blue are made from pigmented zirconium oxide powder that’s sintered into an ultra-hard ceramic, then machined with diamond tools and plasma-treated to its final shape “

613862f8a7d002a717a18f173f6c308c.jpg

How the hell do they even get close to that in a rep factory? I have owned and still own, a number of rep ceramic watches and the cases and clasps always felt ‘real’. Obviously, I have never handled a gen…so am I being fooled by a clever paint job or do they actually source genuine ceramic cases?

Here's some Omega pics of the ceramic stages...rough to polished..

32e99ba3c9de9751a2b06527bec63289.jpg

2e102d33d2ec1be0803ec9c1f81a0972.jpg

The rep Omega ceramics cost a fair chunk more but not the £8k premium the gens command over similar steel models. TD sourced ceramic VSF watches (when you can get them) are around $100 to $200 more than a similar GMT in steel

Omega sources it’s ceramic know how from its Rado sister-brand. How do they the rep makers do it?….

Below is[mention=104991]Intresting[/mention] Deep Black Red up on m2m..showing quality of rep 'ceramic'

a8ca52dc05a34b5eedcde556a870d43c.jpg

3c41cc841f277bae182589e7acef17d7.jpg

And finally my IWC Mirimar ceramic..which feels smooth and gorgeous...

77d8bd7c0b0bd779190f3bd2e5d94149.jpg

Thoughts…experiences of ceramic….I sense imaybe trying to buy my old ones back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

tonyh7

What would be really interesting to know would be the manufacturing cost of the gen. But they ain't telling.

GingerApple

It's Gen advertising blurb. All they're doing is cooking some powder in an oven, then scraping bits off and  polishing it. Rep makers do the same but with less words 

• Like 5

Pesman
It's Gen advertising blurb. All they're doing is cooking some powder in an oven, then scraping bits off and  polishing it. Rep makers do the same but with less words 
Proper blurb...this is from ablogtowatch's review...

"Both Rado’s HyperChrome and Omega’s ceramic manufacturing process begins with a mold into which “a special zirconium-based powder” is injected. That light blue, large piece you see wrapped in glass in the top left corner of the image above is how the case looks at that stage. It is rather accurately in the case’s final shape, already incorporating all openings for the bracelet, side inserts, as well as the crown and pushers (on applicable case designs). The injected zirconium oxide inside the mold is then subjected to an extremely high pressure of around 1,000 bar and then cooled down and removed from the mold...

e0edf8006506562e84250217baa4ba81.jpg

...As such, the initial high-pressure treatment is followed by a sintering process at 1,450 degrees Celsius (2,642° F), further strengthening and shrinking the material that now even more closely resembles the final shape and is now ever harder and more scratch-resistant.

Omega explains: “for such a tough material, it then takes diamond tools to add the defining edges and grooves while also being lubricated and cooled by high-pressure oil solutions. A three-hour plasma treatment in a 20,000° C furnace then paves the way for precision laser-engraving.”

Suspect the factory has a back-door...??

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

tribefan

deju

So once you debunk the fantasy of there being a rep factory and understand that they have parts manufactured usually on the sly in legitimate factories, then once all parts are sourced the "rep factory" is really an assembly line putting all the parts sourced together.

If a genuine factory in china produces something.... the "rep factories" have access!  

tribefan
39 minutes ago, deju said:

If a genuine factory in china produces something.... the "rep factories" have access!  

Coming soon to a theatre near you.....

https://seesternwatches.com/f/full-titanium-watch

• Like 1

processengr
1 hour ago, tribefan said:

Coming soon to a theatre near you.....

https://seesternwatches.com/f/full-titanium-watch

Wow! That looks great! I have their $180 Doxa sub homage, it is very well made. I wonder what this will sell for? 

tribefan
3 hours ago, NCRich said:

I'm trying to figure out how a recently released watch can be legendary.

I don't know about legendary, but the gen one's are going for $5K. I'll take a $300 version please.

• Like 2

NCRich
1 hour ago, tribefan said:

I don't know about legendary, but the gen one's are going for $5K. I'll take a $300 version please.

Well duh. That's why you are here. :lol:

• Like 1