Sign in to follow this  
daytona4me

Quick Look at the New IWC Aquatimer 2009

daytona4me

I had requested that Hont get me an Aquatimer as soon as they came out. I was very happy when I received the email that they were close to being done and again when he emailed me with a tracking number for my new Aquatimer.

I am a sucker for the Blue and Orange version but will likely buy a Galapagos version as well.

This watch is a far cry away from the 2006 and 2007 versions. It is apples and oranges when compared to them as they have a completely different construction in the case, bezel, sapphire, strap and lugs. It's all different.

09iwcaquatimer022.jpg

The stainless steel bracelet is not available yet and imo, it is desperately needed as the strap leaves a lot to be desired (but that is likely just my opinion).

The construction of the rubber strap where it meets the case and how it's held in there is scary at best, I can see it easily being released from the case and the watch flopping to the ground.

A couple obvious problems are

1. Wrong colored subdials at 12 & 6

2. The "0" font is wrong on the bezel

3. The size of the numbers around the bezel are larger than on the genuine

4. The tail on the chrono second hand (big one) is the wrong shape and size.

5. Not positive but I think the "IWC" above the day and date is not the correct width or thickness.

09iwcaquatimer018.jpg

09iwcaquatimer008.jpg

09iwcaquatimer009.jpg

09iwcaquatimer010.jpg

09iwcaquatimer011.jpg

The bezel construction is a lot better than a similar Blancpain bezel which was a very soft acrylic, this bezel is extremely hardened and although I am not sure on what it's composition is, I have to think it is a very hard acrylic or similar synthetic compound.

These are some quick unedited pictures between playing with the kids and pizza. Sorry for the white balance, maybe I'll fix it later.

09iwcaquatimer019.jpg

09iwcaquatimer020.jpg

09iwcaquatimer021.jpg

09iwcaquatimer023.jpg

09iwcaquatimer018.jpg

09iwcaquatimer008.jpg

09iwcaquatimer013.jpg

09iwcaquatimer014.jpg

09iwcaquatimer024.jpg

greg_r

Interesting post, Greg. The watch looks pretty darned good, but that strap sure is a bit worrying...

starchyyy

How would you rank the watch in terms of construction quality and movement quality? Really interested in getting the Galapagos version of this watch.

AllergyDoc

D4M doesn't come around here anymore and I don't know if anyone else has purchased this replica. The earlier versions he referred to were very well made; this one, not so much. He didn't really explain why the hour subdial wasn't at 12.