LanC

Rotor making Loud Noise on Submariner Rep

LanC

Hello all, glad to have found this resource. I am looking for some advise on how to go about dealing with a noise that sounds similar to ball bearings rolling around inside the case. It only happens when I move my wrist. I opened it up and it looks like the ROTOR is spinning freely causing the noise. I attempted to tighten it just a bit. It was little to no help. I picked this up in Vancouver from someone who said it was 1:1  & swiss movement. I should have done more research but it was there and I jumped the gun 850… lesson learned. 

Am I able to replace the rotor? Wondering what options I have. Any help greatly appreciated.

3QX2Vv.jpg
3QXLi1.jpg
3QXeCj.jpg

als86

Definitely not a Swiss movement it looks like a cheapie to me especially with the rehaut being the way it is. I mean the rotor should spin freely but do you mean it is spinning freely without the ball bearings ? You should be able to see the rotors BB’s ….if you can’t then that is what is rolling about in the case 

LanC

Thank you for the redponse. You’ll have to excuse my lack of knowledge. If I flick my wrist it makes a loud spinning noise. I opened it up and the rotor spins freely. I did some reseach and saw the term “helicoptering”? I can felel something ( assuming it is the rotor ) spinning very fast. I got suckered & it’s my own fault. Is it cost effective to repave the movement? 

LanC

3Qklao.jpg
3QkplJ.jpg
3QkTAW.jpgI am looking for some advise on how to go about dealing with a noise that sounds similar to ball bearings rolling around inside the case. It only happens when I move mywrist. I opened it up and itlooks like the ROTOR is spinning freely causing the noise. I attempted to tighten it just a bit. It was little to no help. I picked this up in Vancouver from someone who said it was 1:1  & swiss movement. I should have done more research but it was there and I jumped the gun 850… lesson learned. 

Am I able to replace the rotor? Wondering what options I have. Any help greatly appreciated. Warning to all.. guy presents himself as a lawyer outside an  expensive highrise claiming reps are just his passion. Cockroach…

Philiusmaximus

It's a low quality rep. If you were familiar with the genuine one then you'd have seen the poor quality of pretty much everything else before you even got to the movement.

Not even worth fifty quid. 

Everyone has been caught out somewhere long the line. Do your research and don't buy from strangers cash in hand where you have no come back

• Like 3

GingerApple

Just take the rotor off and use it as a hand wind - instantly silent.

Alternatively, a smidge of Molykote DX paste in the rotor bearings will help with the noise.

• Like 1

als86

• Like 1

Psssniper

You've found a good place to learn about reps and yes we've all been had at least once. Mine was an Omega Seamaster I bought in a gas station parking lot. Start reading and learning, also RWI is a great place as well.

• Like 1

tribefan
2 hours ago, TheOtherSpareGinger said:

Just take the rotor off and use it as a hand wind - instantly silent.

This, it should still have around 40 hours of power reserve so wind it once a day and you're golden. Do research on Clean Factory or VSF subs. Buy one of those.

LanC
4 hours ago, Philiusmaximus said:

It's a low quality rep. If you were familiar with the genuine one then you'd have seen the poor quality of pretty much everything else before you even got to the movement.

Not even worth fifty quid. 

Everyone has been caught out somewhere long the line. Do your research and don't buy from strangers cash in hand where you have no come back

It is true, my lack of knowledge and wanting instant gratification led me to a bad purchase. It seemed so much easier to do a deal in person. Lol, guess I paid 800 for a lesson in having more patience and doing more research. I appreciate the input!

LanC
1 hour ago, tribefan said:

This, it should still have around 40 hours of power reserve so wind it once a day and you're golden. Do research on Clean Factory or VSF subs. Buy one of those.

Interesting, I had no idea. Very new to this. So you are saying I can just remove the top screw securing the rotor and reinstall the screw? Thank you for sharing that knowledge w me. Greatly appreciated. I will however educate myself on the best way to go about finding a TD and making a purchase. 

LanC
1 hour ago, Psssniper said:

You've found a good place to learn about reps and yes we've all been had at least once. Mine was an Omega Seamaster I bought in a gas station parking lot. Start reading and learning, also RWI is a great place as well.

Certainly is a great resource. Yeah this guy started out great, after he walked off he called back and said he left $ behind. Lol, the Vancouver Lawyer Bandit.  Honestly it was my fault I got took… . I had driven 2 hours to meet up and didn’t want to leave empty handed. Thanks fir commenting. 

GenTLe
23 hours ago, LanC said:

someone who said it was 1:1  & swiss movement.

Eh... You've been scammed! That's a max 190/200$ watch with a cheap DG2813 movement inside, definitively chinese.

About the noise: simply unscrew the screw in the center of the rotor (you need to keep the rotor or it will probably rotate with the screw), and below you'll see a ball bearing. Just put a tiny (I said TINY!) amount of oil (i.e. gun oil is ok) in that bearing and refit the rotor.

When I say tiny I mean (the tip of that thing is line 0.3mm):

158492738_oiler7013.JPG.2dd13d8ebd9d1701