Undinist

Thinking about playing with the finish on this Marathon CSAR

Undinist

Behold, a scratched CSAR. 18mm thick, 46mm across. 

sWfB2k7.jpg

bBj8jnG.jpg

aKsWT1k.jpg

I'm thinking about buying it. Allegedly the crystal, dial and hands are mint. A new bezel insert can be had for $55.  I could get the case and bezel and pushers refinished and buy a new bracelet. Lovely. But this is a good excuse to change the finish....I could get the refinishing people to give a few parts of the watch and bracelet a polished finish, so the polished and brushed parts alternate. Then I gold plate it with a home electroplating kit, and end up with a gold Royal Oak on steroids. With bells on. 

OR there's a more sensible middle ground of getting it sandblasted, which would I reckon be more appropriate for this watch than the standard brushed finish. 

What do you think? 

Devil

Your pictures don't work for me

Undinist

You can't see them? They're hosted at imgur. Never had a problem with them before. Could it be your browser settings?

Undinist

Imgur has Ongoing intermittent issues loading content

3sYOao.jpg

3sYyFP.jpg

3sY9AW.jpg

GingerApple

Leave it as it is. Quite cool that! I love it's battered look. A chunky black rubber strap or even a miltat hexad type bracelet (maybe sandblast that) would improve it though.

• Like 3

Undinist

The solid end link of the Marathon bracelet is a winner for me.  Pricey but worth it I think.

3sYrzL.jpg

• Like 1

judas9r

I like it as it is. But then, I modded a perfectly good Sumo. Go for it, as long as you like it, thats what counts.

trailboss99

I kinda like it as it is, an honest tool watch. 
We aren't helping, are we? :D 

deju

Looks great as is, beadblasting it if it's on the bracelet would be cool though 

Undinist

Thanks, I'm glad you all like it as it is.  It's the cheapest, easiest solution. :D

But the seller got fed up with my dithering and put it back on ebay.  He wants £1000. It was listed a few weeks ago at that price and he got no bids.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145103721634  UK dealer new price is about £4500. I've been telling him that his watch isn't worth £1000 because there's  a US dealer on C24 selling new 2020 stock for $1950. He's sold four of them and still has a few more https://www.chrono24.co.uk/all/marathon-csar-black-label-edition--id22248789.htm 

Abe Fromen

Another vote for keeping as is. 

HomeRye

I’d just do the bezel swap and then keep as is if you did buy it.  I’ve got a 41mm TSAR and love that watch,  such a lot of character with this brand.

Theviking
On 27/05/2023 at 17:22, Undinist said:

Thanks, I'm glad you all like it as it is.  It's the cheapest, easiest solution. :D

But the seller got fed up with my dithering and put it back on ebay.  He wants £1000. It was listed a few weeks ago at that price and he got no bids.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145103721634  UK dealer new price is about £4500. I've been telling him that his watch isn't worth £1000 because there's  a US dealer on C24 selling new 2020 stock for $1950. He's sold four of them and still has a few more https://www.chrono24.co.uk/all/marathon-csar-black-label-edition--id22248789.htm 

I love marathon 

These ones on chrono 24 are a great price. Any thoughts on how to get one to the UK without big import fees?