brang1

FAKE OMEGA BRINGS 3.4 MILLION AT AUCTION

brang1
tribefan

I saw this article this morning. Inside job.

brang1
3 hours ago, tribefan said:

I saw this article this morning. Inside job.

cannot believe the price

Degsy1880

Ouch!

Piccolo
9 hours ago, brang1 said:

cannot believe the price

Omega bought it themselves so I’m sure it’s a tax deduction haha… Phillips have sold a few with dodgy provenance, pretty sure they don’t care as long as everyone’s back gets scratched along the way.   All the watch journos have kept very quiet about it too… can’t bite the hand that feeds! 

Abe Fromen

So i'm not clear on something... if Omega verified its originality in the first place, how did they determine it was a franken? 

tribefan
5 hours ago, Piccolo said:

All the watch journos have kept very quiet about it too… can’t bite the hand that feeds! 

Through sheer luck and happenstance, I've been able to buy some gen's at really good prices, so I haven't bought any reps in a long time. The irony is that as I acquire those, my contempt for that whole watch hype crowd grows. I mean guys like Roman at least make their living and run large businesses, so I get them. But the ones milking YT and blog views have become pretty cringe-worthy. And don't get me started on WUS, some of those guys must be direct descendants of the Jamestown Puritan's.

2 hours ago, Abe Fromen said:

So i'm not clear on something... if Omega verified its originality in the first place, how did they determine it was a franken? 

Evidently, the guy who verified its originality was in on the scam.

• Like 1

brang1

Amazing story 

Abe Fromen

Funny story... I sent this link to a friend who used to work in a watch store and he said 'right off the bat that is obviously fake... my old job I was the best at determining if a watch was fake before we took it in on trade or for service.' LMAO really? You're more qualified than the Omega factory? 

brang1

Seems there is a lot more to this story than I think we are seeing 

• Like 1

k4jun
8 hours ago, Abe Fromen said:

A watch was not send to Omega for an official certfication before the auction (it was not  must for Phillips).

https://www.nzz.ch/english/3-million-dollar-auction-record-how-a-pieced-together-speedmaster-watch-became-the-most-expensive-omega-ever-ld.1740510

"The same employees were active as both sellers and buyers. In other words, together with outside accomplices, they created a watch using original and replicated parts, issued it a clean pedigree, and then, using money from Omega, essentially bought it from themselves at an exorbitant price. They are suspected of enriching themselves and deceiving Omega in the process".

And then apparently :balls:: "The watchmaker, which is part of the Swatch Group, has launched its own investigation, which is still ongoing", but in April this year Perezcope has posted The Sum Of All Sins for this watch.

brang1

Fuck me- what a mess - lesson here people - don’t mess with replicas- oh, hang on - that’s why we are here 

• Like 1

Michel78

seem like there is more to know about this story than it's said. Some other people must be involved in such deal

GulfGT40

So I guess this will finally answer the question... Who makes the best speedy rep?

• Like 2

Piccolo
9 hours ago, tribefan said:

Through sheer luck and happenstance, I've been able to buy some gen's at really good prices, so I haven't bought any reps in a long time. The irony is that as I acquire those, my contempt for that whole watch hype crowd grows. I mean guys like Roman at least make their living and run large businesses, so I get them. But the ones milking YT and blog views have become pretty cringe-worthy. And don't get me started on WUS, some of those guys must be direct descendants of the Jamestown Puritan's.

Evidently, the guy who verified its originality was in on the scam.

Yeah there is a lot of the watch world that isn’t a good place… and luckily still some small pockets (like here) that are good fun. 

36 minutes ago, GulfGT40 said:

So I guess this will finally answer the question... Who makes the best speedy rep?

Ha..! Yes! 

Horace Derwent
6 hours ago, brang1 said:

Seems there is a lot more to this story than I think we are seeing 

Infact, they  - Omega Employers - were the buyers AND the sellers .

Anyway, i suspect that in coming years this problem will be even bigger...in a few years, who will be able to tell if this PP Nautilus )(or any other 1:1 replicated watch ) is effectively Gen or Franken ? 

• Like 1