LorLog

The future of research

LorLog

I’m a bit of a TAG fanboy and wanted to find out a bit more about the clone 1887 movement. I did a bit of searching but couldn’t really find anything so I asked ChatGPT at this it what it gave me:

The clone 1887 movement is a replica of the TAG Heuer caliber 1887 movement, which is an automatic column wheel chronograph movement with 39 jewels and a frequency of 28,800 vibrations per hour. The clone 1887 movement is made by XF factory, a well-known replica watch manufacturer. The clone 1887 movement is based on the Seiko TC78 movement, which is a non-branded version of the Seiko 6S78 movement that was designed and patented in 1997¹².

The clone 1887 movement has some features and advantages that make it a good choice for replica TAG Heuer watches, such as:

- The clone 1887 movement has a **similar appearance** to the gen TAG Heuer caliber 1887 movement, with a blue column wheel, an oscillating pinion, and a skeletonized rotor. The movement can be seen through the transparent case back of some replica models¹.

- The clone 1887 movement has a **high stability** and a **low repair rate**, compared to other chronograph movements such as the A7750 or the A4130. XF factory claims that the clone 1887 movement has a stability that is more than 30% higher than the A7750 movement, and a repair rate that can be controlled at 10%, which is comparable to the quality of the ETA 2824 movement¹.

- The clone 1887 movement has a **modular design** that allows for different configurations of subdials and date windows. The base caliber 1887 has subdials at 12, 6, and 9 o'clock, and a date window at 3 o'clock. However, there are also variations such as the caliber 1888, which has subdials at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, and a date window at 6 o'clock. This makes it easier to replicate different models of TAG Heuer watches with different dial layouts¹.

However, the clone 1887 movement also has some drawbacks and limitations that you should be aware of if you own or plan to buy a replica watch with this movement. Here are some tips and advice:

- The clone 1887 movement has a **lower power reserve** than the gen TAG Heuer caliber 1887 movement. The clone 1887 movement has a power reserve of about **40 hours**, while the gen TAG Heuer caliber 1887 movement has a power reserve of about **50 hours**². This means that you might need to wind or wear your watch more often to keep it running.

- The clone 1887 movement has a **different chronograph system** than the gen TAG Heuer caliber 1887 movement. The clone 1887 movement uses a **three-plane cam system** for the chronograph operation, while the gen TAG Heuer caliber 1887 movement uses a **vertical clutch system**². The cam system is cheaper and easier to make, but it can cause some issues such as backlash or stuttering of the chronograph seconds hand when starting or stopping. The vertical clutch system is more precise and smooth, but it is also more expensive and complex to make.

- The clone 1887 movement has a **different date setting mechanism** than the gen TAG Heuer caliber 1887 movement. The clone 1887 movement uses a **quick set function** for changing the date, while the gen TAG Heuer caliber 1887 movement uses a **rapid advance function**². The quick set function allows you to change the date by pulling out the crown to the second position and turning it clockwise or counter-clockwise. The rapid advance function allows you to change the date by pulling out the crown to the first position and turning it clockwise only. The quick set function is more convenient and common, but it can also damage the date wheel if you change the date between certain hours (usually between 9 pm and 3 am). The rapid advance function is more safe and reliable, but it can also take longer to change the date.

I hope this information helps you understand more about the clone 1887 movement and how it compares to the gen TAG Heuer caliber 1887 movement. If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know

Source: Conversation with Bing, 14/7/2023

(1) XF Factory New Asian Clone Calibre 1887 Chronograph Movement for TAG .... https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/xf-factory-new-asian-clone-calibre-1887-chronograph-movement-for-tag-heuer-01-45mm.8723501/.

(2) TAG Heuer Caliber 1887 Watch Movement | Caliber Corner. https://calibercorner.com/tag-heuer-caliber-1887/.

I then drilled into a bit more detail and asked whether v6 factory made a clone. Apparently they don’t even though I’ve seen it advertised it also gave me a table comparing the features of the 1887 with the a7750.

These are amazing times we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

OLDBLOKE74

Wow … just Wow !!

BadApple
2 hours ago, LorLog said:

These are amazing times we live in.