Sparks010

Omega SMP 300 vsf vs ZF

Sparks010

Omega SMP 300 VSF vs ZF????

Morning all hopefully you can help me make up my mind,  I know this has probably been addressed elsewhere but as a newbie, I'm unable to find up to date information, as we all understand that the factories that produce these offerings are constantly updating and improving and ironing out there flaws.

So my understanding is comparisons pro's and cons for each model are as follows.

VSF - CONS 

Yellowish lume, short CG, No adjustment screw, Potential of stripping on crown threads.

ZF - Noisy rotor, unidirectional rotor, Miss aligned indices especially 12, 

If anyone who actually owns these watches can elaborate on these flaws and can maybe help me make my mind up.( especially those that have the most recent offerings) 

VSF - Yellowish lume ( I can't really see any diffrence in the blown up images from the comparisons(Steve theone.io), Is it very noticeable? to point of being obvious?

VSF - How many people have had crown issues I have other reps where it's not great to screw the crown in but I've never completely stripped the treads, (Is this actually and issue)? or just certain people nit picking, expecting Gen like smoothness? 

ZF- The main sticking points are the noisy rotor how noticeable is this? Doe's the issue of unidirectional winding hinder performance and cause the watch to stop during periods of inactivity? 

ZF - Most of the images I see  from this factory have poor aligned indices  is this a error that wasn't picked up during QC pics or is it a question of r'led one but then the next one is just as bad?

Does anyone know if any of these issues have been fixed on the newer models?

I know at the end of the day it is all down to personal opinion, one mans R'led is another man's G'led but just thought I'd get a feel for these issues and see what others are saying, doing my due diligence.:banhamster:

So your input how ever trivial it may seem is valid and I would welcome the discussion so bring it on.:chewbacca:

BadPickle

4grand watch repped and sold  for 400 quid (ish) 

choose your flaw

Philiusmaximus

Neither

ORF

Sparks010
2 hours ago, Philiusmaximus said:

Neither

ORF

What a way to throw me a curve ball :headdesk:

Can you explain your reasoning as I thought VSF was considered the best in most peoples opinion, Do you own the ORF? Have you owned any of the others to compare them? I'm open to suggestions there maybe things I have over looked as I only joined recently.

Philiusmaximus

Owned them all. ORF better overall providing QC is good.

To be honest that link above with the comparison pics says it all. 

You can mix and match the parts to get a very good watch but that's a faff on.

However, despite what anyone says the gen is still a million miles away from them all. 

• Like 1

Sparks010
3 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

4grand watch repped and sold  for 400 quid (ish) 

choose your flaw

Thanks for you reply, I am fully aware that the reps are not as flawless and obviously have there pro's and con's,

Which is why I'm compiling a pro's and cons list for all flaws, but until I actually have the watch in my hand, I won't really know the extent of each flaw which is why I'm seeking experience from the  community for their recommendations and trying to glean any things I may have missed and over looked, before I pull the trigger.

Sparks010
4 minutes ago, Philiusmaximus said:

Owned them all. ORF better overall providing QC is good.

To be honest that link above with the comparison pics says it all. 

You can mix and match the parts to get a very good watch but that's a faff on.

However, despite what anyone says the gen is still a million miles away from them all. 

Ok you have certainly given me food for thought, Obviously being a newbie there is a lot take in at first and comparing several different factories flaws can be a bit of mind field, so I only compared the two mentioned factories, But seen as you have personally owned all of them then on your recommendation I will take a closer look at  the ORF model thanks again for your input.

If I have any other questions, I'll be sure to fire them at you regarding this subject cheers in the GMT.

Philiusmaximus

You'll always get vsf fanboys. Out of them all it's the most obvious as case shape is wrong.

QC on all models can be iffy. Especially the lume fill overspilling and alignment of markers.

Plus the ceramic inserts rarely align with the scallops on the bezel across all the models. You can sort yourself but tricky if no experience of this. 

Sparks010
29 minutes ago, Philiusmaximus said:

You'll always get vsf fanboys. Out of them all it's the most obvious as case shape is wrong.

QC on all models can be iffy. Especially the lume fill overspilling and alignment of markers.

Plus the ceramic inserts rarely align with the scallops on the bezel across all the models. You can sort yourself but tricky if no experience of this. 

I assume you are referring to removing the bezel insert with acetone and realigning? If so I have done this in the past with a rep Rolex gmt batman although admittedly not with a SMP, so the procedure could be totally different.

As you have said that QC can be iffy on all models do you think I would be better buying a VSF submariner as my first Rep as there may be less QC issues? 

Philiusmaximus
1 hour ago, Sparks010 said:

I assume you are referring to removing the bezel insert with acetone and realigning? If so I have done this in the past with a rep Rolex gmt batman although admittedly not with a SMP, so the procedure could be totally different.

As you have said that QC can be iffy on all models do you think I would be better buying a VSF submariner as my first Rep as there may be less QC issues? 

That's entirely a matter for yourself. Buy what you like as you'll be the one wearing it. 

• Like 1

OLDBLOKE74

What’s the weather like like at that end of the spectrum? 

• Like 1

Rx4Time

It's disappointing that the Omega seamaster line from VSF has that crown stripping issue which is fairly common from what I understand or at least from what I've seen through the forums. Being an omega, parts are not readily available you can still find them but not easy and not cheap.  

Wires
12 minutes ago, Rx4Time said:

It's disappointing that the Omega seamaster line from VSF has that crown stripping issue which is fairly common from what I understand or at least from what I've seen through the forums. Being an omega, parts are not readily available you can still find them but not easy and not cheap.  

Strange! I have had quite a lot of VSF Omegas and have 7 now that are regularly worn and have never had an issue with a crown stripping on any of them

• Like 2

Philiusmaximus

I haven't had crown stripping issue either but if you think about it these watches often end up in the hands of ape-like cretins. Look at the clip of some of them in m2m. Mainly over the road and not the refined gentlemen of rwg.

• Like 2

Rx4Time

... Unfortunately stripped crowns happen.   Last spring I had to install a genuine crown in my steel fish. Somehow I managed to strip it. First time that's happened to me. 

• Like 1

GingerApple

VSF Crowns are definitely slightly wanky in Omegas.  That being said, I've got 7 VSFs and it's only stripped in one (and it is a simple/cheap fix - get the stem snipped a bit so that it just works as a 'click in' crown and sits flush with the case). Hard to ignore what PhilMax says though given he's owned them all. If you're newish to this game, I suspect you'd be pretty happy with any of the three.

• Like 1

Rokerite
1 hour ago, Philiusmaximus said:

I haven't had crown stripping issue either but if you think about it these watches often end up in the hands of ape-like cretins. Look at the clip of some of them in m2m. Mainly over the road and not the refined gentlemen of rwg.

HhV1v8.jpeg

Edited by Rokerite

Sparks010
22 hours ago, OLDBLOKE74 said:

What’s the weather like like at that end of the spectrum? 

If you are referring to the weather in Nottingham ATM it's grey and cloudy but warm,  for once it's not bloody raining, I mean what's up with this summer, the wettest on record. :blowup:

Sparks010
19 hours ago, GingerHuw said:

VSF Crowns are definitely slightly wanky in Omegas.  That being said, I've got 7 VSFs and it's only stripped in one (and it is a simple/cheap fix - get the stem snipped a bit so that it just works as a 'click in' crown and sits flush with the case). Hard to ignore what PhilMax says though given he's owned them all. If you're newish to this game, I suspect you'd be pretty happy with any of the three.

Thanks for your advice, so if I get this right then thread stripping isn't a huge problem if you've owned owned 7 and only one had the issue with one  1:7 ratio isn't that bad.

Does anyone know if the JVS is as good as the VSF? as it's on offer and comes with a strap, and as long as it's on par with VSF then I may go for it as it has the black balance wheel and adjustment screw which the VSF doesn't, plus being fairly new to the game like you said, as long as QC is good I will probably be blown away with either.

Just need to decide on a colour????  leaning towards black, but could be persuaded has anyone got the green? 

Sparks010
On 07/08/2023 at 13:11, Philiusmaximus said:

I assume you a referring to the short crown guards and not the actual case shape, or is that off too?  if so can you show a comparison as I can't see it.

Is it possible to remove the ceramic insert with acetone to realign the scallops, or do you have remove the bezel and peel it off from inside? 

GingerApple
18 minutes ago, Sparks010 said:

Thanks for your advice, so if I get this right then thread stripping isn't a huge problem if you've owned owned 7 and only one had the issue with one  1:7 ratio isn't that bad.

True, but they just feel a bit flaky compared to most crowns. Definitely a weakness.

Philiusmaximus

aboulabisk

Hi.

For the black black version vsf is Best . No problem with yellowish indexes because all is black.

For the stainless Steel versions zf and orf 

I talk For diver 300 

onzenuub

:facepalm: