Donkey69

Strap repair help please

Donkey69

Greetings friends,

I'm looking for some help here if possible, the strap on my beautiful U-boat classico unfortunately let go a while ago.

I popped in to my local cobblers to see if he could do anything with it, he glued it but said that was all he could do and didn't charge me as he said he wasn't sure how reliable the fix would be.

Attached is a few pics, it's my favourite and the original strap from this watch so I'd like to keep it if possible, but condition as it is I am concerned to wear the watch incase the strap let's go again.

Can anyone suggest a fix other than a new strap? (they are discontinued for this model and difficult to find)

I don't mind sending the strap and paying someone who has the skills to make it good.

Thanks in advanceHWOygS.jpeg
HWOnTL.jpeg
HWO9oQ.jpeg

BadApple

I suggest the best thing you can do is PM @TanGo and ask her to make you a new one identical.

Just send her decent photos and full dimensions and she'll knock you one up that will outlast anything you have had and will make you not need to spend on a repair that will fail again no doubt.

• Like 2

Donkey69

Thanks, sounds like a great idea to get the watch up and running again so I trust wearing it out.

I'll pm her and see what she can do.

But I'd still like to explore a fix option also, the watch is a ltd edition run of the classico 45 known as 'shiny bezel' the strap is stamped with the signature of the maker that is original to the watch.

Donkey69

Here are a few more pics showing the general condition and the signature, I really like the 'vintage' worn look.

Can someone confirm what is used on the edges of the strap here? Is it a wax layer of some sort?

HWy6rK.jpeg
HWy87v.jpeg
HWyt31.jpeg

• Like 1

deju

Send to @TanGo these straps are randomly very expensive OEM. 

• Like 1

TanGo

I can restore this strap for you. But that means I will completely disassemble it, clean it of dirt and reassemble it. This will be more difficult than making a new, different strap. But I can do it.

Your strap has machine stitching and no strap loop duplication, so it is in disrepair. 

I sew my straps exclusively by hand with saddle stitch, which does not unravel as easily as machine stitching.

The edges of the strap are not treated with wax, but with a special dye for the edges of leather goods. A special dyeing process is used. You will not be able to repair the edges of the strap yourself.

If you decide to resuscitate it, send it to me.

@BadApple, @deju, thank you gentlemen :)

• Like 3

splke

@Donkey69  you will not get a better offer

snap her hand off and i would ask her to make a replica too so you can keep the gen pristine 

@TanGo is quite simply the leather godess 

• Like 1

Donkey69

Pm sent to @TanGo

Looking forward to see what she can do

Thank you 

Donkey69
On 25/08/2023 at 14:18, deju said:

Send to @TanGo these straps are randomly very expensive OEM. 

Yes indeed, and this strap with the metal piece between the lugs is discontinued so only second had ones pop up but rare as hens teeth.

Uboat straps are very expensive OEM but the quality is superb, the strap on my chimera Tungsten skeleton is amazing.

TanGo
47 minutes ago, Donkey69 said:

Pm sent to @TanGo

Looking forward to see what she can do

Thank you 

You can see it in my section that was kindly created for me on this wonderful forum.

Many thanks to the administration, all mods and members of my lovely RWG:wub:

• Like 1

GenTLe
On 25/08/2023 at 11:43, Donkey69 said:

Greetings friends,

I'm looking for some help here if possible, the strap on my beautiful U-boat classico unfortunately let go a while ago.

These are the type of straps @JohnG does best.

Check out in his subforum: https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/forum/319-nero-straps-by-johng/

Donkey69

Thanks for all your help, feedback and suggestions ladies and gents.

The strap is being packaged up and sent to TanGo for a refresh.

I've always thought next door was my only need for advice and info so never popped my head up here... I'm impressed by the politeness and wealth of knowledge from you lot. I suppose 2 forums is better than 1.

Again a big thanks.

• Like 2

TanGo

So gentlemen, I am very grateful to all of you for your recommendations and trust. 
The strap came to me. When I started to unravel the thread, the strap began to open like a fan, unfolding into the layers that make it up. The glue between the layers had disintegrated and turned into sticky clumps. I cleaned this dirt off, degreased the surfaces and glued it back together. The strap loop was duplicated with resist material and fixed under the stitching.
The strap was hand stitched with saddle stitch, which will prevent the thread from unravelling in the stitching as it does with machine stitching.
The challenge of assembly was to combine the layers of leather so that all the existing holes would match and no new punctures would have to be made in the leather, which would disfigure the strap. I got .
The paint on the edges of the strap was chipped and missing in some places. I sanded off all the old paint and applied new paint.
The fixed keeper inside the strap was not secured with threaded stitches and came apart on its own when I first started unzipping the strap. I secured the keeper with stitches, now it will be sturdy.

To the photos

H6lxUt.jpeg
H6lJQ2.jpeg
H6lVRE.jpeg
H6l0bF.jpeg
H6pDn3.jpeg

The results

H6p3ID.jpeg
H6pZss.jpeg
H6pHXk.jpeg
H6pzZY.jpeg
H6pKxo.jpeg
H6p2UJ.jpeg
H6pAQP.jpeg
H6pLfW.jpeg

A patina of dirt has been removed from the surface of the strap. The strap has been treated with leather conditioner and special cosmetics 

Edited by TanGo
  • Like 5

BM284

That’s bloody lovely work! We are lucky to have such a craftswoman on the forum - and it’s easy to see why you are held in such high regard. 

• Like 1

watchnut

Attention! Genius at work! Amazing skills and what a wonderful transformation. Better than new now.

• Like 1

deju

Absolutely spot on @TanGo

• Like 1

Donkey69

Wow!!! 

My old worn out strap looks amazing!!! 

It has been years since I have trusted the strap with fear of it letting go and dropping my watch... I thought it was beyond repair.

It looks better than any new strap now... the stitching looks so clean and the aged leather still looks perfect.

I'm so so happy you have done this for me Tan, this is from one of my oldest watches in my collection that holds great value to me.

Amazing talent :Applause:

Thank you 

• Like 3

splke

@TanGowow amazing artistry

:notworthy:

• Like 1

TanGo

Thank you very much for the praise, gentlemen. All in all, it's nothing unusual, I just did my job. If you need your shoe repaired, you go to a cobbler. If you need to fix your strap, you go to a strap maker :)

It is a privilege to be and work here. I am very grateful and appreciate this opportunity given to me by the forum administration .

• Like 2

BadApple

We are truly blessed on here with our resident Wizardess !!! 

• Like 1

GenTLe
13 hours ago, TanGo said:

A patina of dirt has been removed from the surface of the strap. The strap has been treated with leather conditioner and special cosmetics 

Ciao :)

Out of curiosity (and only if you think you can answer with no problem), a job like this is more or less expensive than just do a new strap with similar characteristics? Thanks

TanGo
17 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Ciao :)

Out of curiosity (and only if you think you can answer with no problem), a job like this is more or less expensive than just do a new strap with similar characteristics? Thanks

Ciao signore :)

It is much faster to make a new strap than to remake an old one.

First of all, the old strap must be disassembled very carefully so as not to damage or tear its parts. In some places the leather is thinner than half a millimeter and all the layers are assembled on glue.

Secondly, the assembly of the old strap takes a lot of time, because all the layers need to be put together and put on glue, matching all the holes. The challenge is not to make any misalignment, new holes or damage. Once assembled, it should not be obvious that there have been interventions. The piece should just look rejuvenated :D

It's like restoring old valuable items .

It takes more time, more attention and more care.

Man's most valuable resource is time :)

• Like 1

GenTLe
10 minutes ago, TanGo said:

Ciao signore :)

It is much faster to make a new strap than to remake an old one.

That is what I have thought :)

Thanks a lot :)

Donkey69

So so happy to have my U-boat usable and looking fresh!

@TanGo is a true artisan with a heart of gold

I got a little carried away and also had her make me a special strap for my Tudor BB heritage and one for my Pam088... Reviews and eye candy to follow on those.

Thank you Tanya, RWG and all for recommending her to me. 

HBW0YE.jpeg
HBWbwn.jpeg
HBWS32.jpeg
HBWxc3.jpeg
HBWVis.jpeg

• Like 4

splke

:drool:looks perfect pal