andy66

UN MAXI MARINE.(damaged)

andy66

I put this on years ago asking about a fix,It came from Robert(pwc)rip.Only a cheap £120 one.Pretty much within a few weeks of getting it the  hand came away on the bottom subdial,I'd only had a few purchases with Robert and if anyone remembers,he was a bit of an angry man,I got on great with him in the end but at first I thought it wasn't worth the hassle of sending it back so it's sat in my box for over 10 years.works perfect except for the hand coming loose .I used to send repairs to someone called Bright????,but he's not about I don't think.

Would this be an easy repair??are there any budding watchsmiths who want to have a play,practice there skills on it.

HaeKo5.jpeg
Hae3gp.jpeg

Michel78

It's not hard to put it back yourself with few tools, you can try if you feel like it

Otherwise you might find a small store to put it back, basically it take 5min to do it

andy66
47 minutes ago, Michel78 said:

It's not hard to put it back yourself with few tools, you can try if you feel like it

Otherwise you might find a small store to put it back, basically it take 5min to do it

I'm sure that's easier said than done....lol

Devil
20 minutes ago, andy66 said:

I'm sure that's easier said than done....lol

message @ROLIE he's our resident non official watch repair guy in the UK, he's fixed a good few on my watches as I don't even have the balls to take the back off a watch yet :D 

• Like 2

andy66

Cheers Devil,the lad I used was Bright side,the watch isn't worth alot,that's why I thought someone could practice on it but if it's an easy fix.....I've got the tools,£15 on Amazon but only used them for battery change and strap resizing.

I got my wife a beautiful Hublot, expensive aswell from HONT,the second hand got stuck or caught up,I was a watch expert by then(NOT)...there were parts all over,I can't even work out how to get the winder out to get the movement out,I've watched the experts videos,read tutorials but I am scared to death of all those small bits....so I'm not playing,someone else can.

5 mins to do it????it takes me that to use the silly tool to get the back off.....

Michel78

No it's actually really simple:

- open the case back

- remove the crown (one small hole to poke)

- unscrew the movement and let it out

- Now you can put the hand back in place

- then all the way back

worth trying by yourself, you might find youtube video

there is no need to touch the movement for that so no  risk to damage anything

andy66

I'm tempted now,it's the crown removal that scares me.

Michel78

To remove the crown you just need to push a little button on the movement and it will free it. to put it back you just need to push the crown back in and it will lock itself

Horace Derwent

@andy66: Crown Removal is one of the easiset servicing for a movement, take a look here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qIn53V-WQY

PS: never understood ho to link YT video in this particular forum...

Edited by Horace Derwent

Michel78

good video, really simple as you can see

• Like 1

andy66

HoN5wR.jpeg

• Like 1

GenTLe
On 28/08/2023 at 07:18, Michel78 said:

No it's actually really simple:

- open the case back

- remove the crown (one small hole to poke)

If I remember well, this don't have a hole to release the crown, but a small lever that goes out from the plate when the crown is in the winding position.

Should be around here:

Hocm88.jpeg

• Like 1

NCRich
9 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

If I remember well, this don't have a hole to release the crown, but a small lever that goes out from the plate when the crown is in the winding position.

Should be around here:

Hocm88.jpeg

Yes that is correct.  Hard to see the little bugger.

• Like 2

andy66
On 07/09/2023 at 19:20, NCRich said:

Yes that is correct.  Hard to see the little bugger.

Hq6SEE.jpeg

andy66

You lot are stars,your knowledge is the reason this place works so well,but I'm useless,when the winder is in and you push the side/lever....the winder pops out slightly but I can't get it all the way.what am I doing wrong,apart from wading out of my comfort zone.....

GenTLe
3 minutes ago, andy66 said:

You lot are stars,your knowledge is the reason this place works so well,but I'm useless,when the winder is in and you push the side/lever....the winder pops out slightly but I can't get it all the way.what am I doing wrong,apart from wading out of my comfort zone.....

1st, remove that rotor with a large enough screwdriver

2nd, when you press the lever (which is not visible in the last pic, as it's covered by the rotor), also you have to pull the crown to take it out (not to put it in date/time changing position)...

Also you need to take care when you push it back in: don't just put the stem in and push, but put it in without pushing, and rotate it while LIGHTLY pushing until it engages the windinging. When you see it's winding, then you can push it in fully.

• Like 1

andy66

I've tried pushing the lever in but all it does is make the crown move out slightly,I keep trying but it will not come out,any ideas????

GingerApple

I reckon you might have to Popperini it.

• Like 2

andy66

WTF is that,????

NCRich

I use a straight pin to press down on the lever.  You don't try to pull the lever or move it any direction other than down.  Just press it down with light pressure while pulling the crown out.  No yanking or pressing anything hard.

• Like 2

GingerApple

Basically, you need to buy a load of over the top, and hugely expensive tools, then use them totally inappropriately to try and brute force the removal of the stem (but in doing so, totally fuck up the watch so that it is nothing but scrap). Our very own @Popperini invented, fine tuned and trade marked the technique.  He is a true master of the art.

• Like 4

andy66
1 hour ago, NCRich said:

I use a straight pin to press down on the lever.  You don't try to pull the lever or move it any direction other than down.  Just press it down with light pressure while pulling the crown out.  No yanking or pressing anything hard.

Press down????I've been pushing the fucker,I don't even know why I'm doing it,wtf will I do when I get it apart,glue the hand back on,

I've visions of the wife's new Hublot twanging round the room when I decided to test my new £11 Amazon watch tools out.Ive not taken the back off a watch in 10+years till now.Ive kept the Hublot to remind me I know fuck all and to leave alone....HOa3k2.jpeg

andy66

HOaUvk.jpeg

2 hours ago, GingerHuw said:

Basically, you need to buy a load of over the top, and hugely expensive tools, then use them totally inappropriately to try and brute force the removal of the stem (but in doing so, totally fuck up the watch so that it is nothing but scrap). Our very own @Popperini invented, fine tuned and trade marked the technique.  He is a true master of the art.

Think I'm a bit popperini then....I put these posts up and then someone who actually knows their watch shit tells me it's easy to do...so silly c#@t here starts to mess and I'm up to my arse in bits that I've no clue what belongs where???seemed a good idea to use masking tape to keep the tiny screws safe,should of used a bit for each watch instead of mixing them up..

• Like 1

GenTLe
5 hours ago, andy66 said:

Press down????I've been pushing the fucker,I don't even know why I'm doing it,wtf will I do when I get it apart,glue the hand back on,

I told you "push", which doesn't mean pull or move to right or left :) 

No glue, there's never the use of glue in a watch unless very rare situations (i.e. an hour marker detached from the dial, or you have to glue a date wheel overlay on top of the datewheel)... The hand is just "press on" (and not "press with a hammer": you shouldn't push for more than like 50 grams force).

PS: those aren't expensive tools, those are a cheap ultrabasic tool set...

THESE are expensive tools:

HOmUqJ.jpeg
HOmAnD.jpeg
HOmLsk.jpeg
HOm5Zo.jpeg
HOmWXP.jpeg

• Like 1

TanGo

@andy66, when you finally destroy the movement, don't despair. You can trade with me at any time for a watch strap :)

• Like 2