Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Bell & Ross BR01 Heritage

greg_r

Bell & Ross BR01-92 Heritage

I've been longing for this watch to be repped ever since the gen was announced a couple of years ago. I've been very close to buying the gen (or possibly the BR03 Heritage) on more than one occasion. It seems that a lot of other folks have been waiting for this model too. Therefore, when Kenny heard of a rep in the offing, there was considerable excitement (see thread here: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...showtopic=16488 ).

My initial reaction, however, was disappointment. What I was hoping for was a high-end rep - preferably with a Sellita movement. What appeared was a 21J cheapie. However, the photographs looked promising and I decided to jump in with both feet and buy one out of sheer curiosity. At $75 including shipping from Mary, it seemed silly not to...

Now, I'm pretty familiar with the gen, so this was always going to be a watch I was likely to get nitpicky about. I've tried to resist being too critical, but here's first impressions:

First, the photos. iPhone snaps only, I'm afraid. Don't have the DSLR here at the moment...

br01H-1.JPG

Note the 'quartz movement' engraving and that stem release screw! :rofl:

br01H-back.jpg

Looks a lot better like this, though, doesn't it?

br01H-2.jpg

... and to show all the stampings on the strap...

br01H-strap.jpg

The gen for comparison. :drool:

br01heritage-gen.jpg

Even cheapie BR01 rep cases look reasonably close to gen on the wrist and this is no exception. It's the standard budget case found on other inexpensive B&R reps, and is fitted with the usual low-beat 2813 movement. Once off the wrist it starts looking a little less gen-like as the case construction is somewhat different to the real thing and the engravings on the back are way off (notably, the back says it's a quartz movement :popcorn: ). The finish is also a tad too glossy. Note that none of this came as a surprise - Mary's pics were excellent as always and I knew in advance what to expect.

The dial is reasonably well done, although they haven't quite got the colour of the indices right - the 'sand' colour is a fraction too yellow. There's also a minor error on the dial as it's marked as a BR01-94 (should be BR01-92). Sadly, there's no lume or AR but that's not unexpected at this price level.

The strap is a very pleasant surprise. I was expecting the 'hide of the cardboard cow' as is usual with reps in this kinda price range, but this is actually one of the better rep straps I've had. The distinctive stampings as per the gen are very well done although not as dark and well-defined as on the real thing - the strap colour isn't quite right either although not that far off and the surface of the leather is lightly sueded, which is contrary to the gen. Minor niggles, though - it looks pretty convincing and, once I'd worked some of the stiffness out of it, very comfortable. There's also a slight clearance problem around one of the lugs due to the strap being cut slightly off-kilter, but I should be able to fix that quite easily with a sharp craft knife. The buckle is the usual PVD B&R fare and looks fine.

Note that the gen strap is available direct from B&R at £100. I'd be tempted if the watch itself was better, but frankly the rep strap is much better than expected and more than good enough for this watch. I may still pick a gen strap up with a future watch purchase in mind, however...

It has to be said that I have slightly mixed feelings about this rep. Yes, it's a no-brainer at the price - I can't argue with value for money and it makes a very decent (and stylish) 'beater.' However, if anything it tends to make me want the gen even more :frusty:. Nevertheless, let's get real here - this is a complete watch with a good strap for less than the price of the gen B&R BUCKLE ALONE (which isn't even expensive as gen buckles go)! At this price, it would be foolish to expect gen levels of quality - you really can't go far wrong here.

Overall, if you're planning to buy a cheapie BR01 then this is a good choice. However, I'm hoping we'll see a higher quality version in due course - and if I manage to avoid buying the gen in the meantime, I will definitely pick one up when and if it appears. On a side note, my last experience with a BR01 was on a rubber strap, and I'm finding it wears quite a bit smaller on leather. Maybe I don't want the BR03 after all ;)

Overall, this is a whole lot better than we have any right to expect for a $75 watch, despite some obvious limitations. As a 'beater', it's a real bargain.

BIG thanks to Mary for finding and supplying the watch so promptly - always a pleasure :)

Greenhat

I'm toying with the idea of getting one ,not quite sure yet...........so marks out of ten please maybe a 5?

greg_r

hmm - depends on how you want to look at it. As an accurate rep? Probably 3/10. However, that's doing it a disservice as it's great value for money - it's never going to convince anybody that knows their B&R's but it's still a good-looking watch at a silly low price...

Greenhat

OK greg thanks for that. I quite like quartz movement.....so i be pleased...........sorry its a 21j movement

Edited by Greenhat

KeNnY
hmm - depends on how you want to look at it. As an accurate rep? Probably 3/10. However, that's doing it a disservice as it's great value for money - it's never going to convince anybody that knows their B&R's but it's still a good-looking watch at a silly low price...

For that price it is nice

Carl77

If it was not too big for my wrist, I would probably buy it.

Looks really nice for the price, and the strap!!!

Member X
On a side note, my last experience with a BR01 was on a rubber strap, and I'm finding it wears quite a bit smaller on leather. Maybe I don't want the BR03 after all :D

haha! I'm sure I told you so at some point in the past :D:)

I actually prefer this strap to the gen, though LoL :D

greg_r
On a side note, my last experience with a BR01 was on a rubber strap, and I'm finding it wears quite a bit smaller on leather. Maybe I don't want the BR03 after all :D

haha! I'm sure I told you so at some point in the past :D:)

:D Smartass.... You were right, though - I remember my last one feeling just that bit too bulky, but this doesn't really feel that much bigger than a Fiddy...

You probably wouldn't if you'd seen the gen strap in the flesh ;)

AustinTech

Not bad at all for the money. They'd probably sell those by the gross on Canal Street.

Gen Bell and Ross watches are really stunning in real life. They have a unique wrist presence. I don't see many here in the US, at least not on people's wrists. That makes the brand even more attractive IMO.

greg_r
Not bad at all for the money. They'd probably sell those by the gross on Canal Street.

Gen Bell and Ross watches are really stunning in real life. They have a unique wrist presence. I don't see many here in the US, at least not on people's wrists. That makes the brand even more attractive IMO.

Don't see that many of 'em over here either, but you're right - the gens are something else.

Damn - I'm still trying to talk myself out of dropping a lot of dough on the real thing and it isn't getting any easier... :)

Member X

haha! I'm sure I told you so at some point in the past ;):)

:D Smartass.... You were right, though - I remember my last one feeling just that bit too bulky, but this doesn't really feel that much bigger than a Fiddy...

You probably wouldn't if you'd seen the gen strap in the flesh ;)

lol

Maybe... I've not seen a heritage at an AD for a while and haven't had one on the wrist!

I still refuse to pay the prices they are new - £2.5k+ for a plain SS case, single-side AR, a rubber strap, not-that-great lume and an off-the-shelf ETA/Sellita movement... I don't think so!!

I might get a rep, though. I just have to buy the other 10+ items that are above it first... :facepalm::D

nunu78

I will wait for high end rep,if it ever happens

E-Dub

So I couldn't do this if I tried, but my thought is that for $75 you're buying the strap/hands and the dial... would swapping the movement and the dial to a nicer high end case be easy?

Really have been looking at the B&R's lately as they're just different and this one in particular has my attention.

E-Dub

crossbones

thanks for posting this...

i have been wondering about this model.

i guess you cant go wrong for only $75

gB.

You can't go wrong with that value at $75.

To make your gen decision a little bit harder, Capetown here in Georgia has this gen for around $3k USD.

BR01-92 gen $3k

I think this one below is better IMO with the round case design, and only a tad more than $2k USD.

BR 123 $2.2k USD

There's no VAT, and the dollar is week right now... :stars:

greg_r

hehe - I'm not keen on the vintage series (the round one), they don't really do much for me at all.

Probably just as well I'm not planning a trip to the US this year - might not be able to resist the BRO1 at that price :D

opus9

Articulate and helpful review.Based on what I have read here,I think I will wait for an improved rep to come along.I agree though for $75 bucks..it's a hell of an entry level product for those that want to see and feel a B&R.

Thanks for an excellent review.

regards

Opus9.

Baldrick

Nice review Greg, I like the dial markings, but unfortunately not much else, I'm not hot on all the 'heritage' stampings on the front of the strap, not to mention the suede strap looks mince compared to the burnished finish on the gen, but as you say, for a daily beater at it's price point, it's a good deal, just not a very accurate one :D

lowest

nice review..

On one of the pics it seems that there is the blue shine on the bezel...

Is this a obvious or simply the pic?

Thnx

djprone

I've been following this watch since i saw the gen a year or two back as well. It looks stunning to be honest. Even with the error on the dial that i noticed a while back with the reps, i am still going to add this to my wishlist, i may just hang fire for a little while and hope the rep factory change it to the 92 though. Enjoy what is, for me, one of the most simple but beautiful watches made.

Electrobrat

I have the same from Mary and I have to say for the money I am very pleased! As it says here, B&R aren't very popular and aren't seen very often so I'm not too bothered about how far it is in terms of accuracy from the Gen. I've worn mine a couple of times and it's turned some heads.

djprone
I have the same from Mary and I have to say for the money I am very pleased! As it says here, B&R aren't very popular and aren't seen very often so I'm not too bothered about how far it is in terms of accuracy from the Gen. I've worn mine a couple of times and it's turned some heads.

enjoy it mate. I'm really am sooooo tempted to contact mary right now

Electrobrat

enjoy it mate. I'm really am sooooo tempted to contact mary right now

Go for it! I can promise you will not be disappointed!!! It's nice to have a watch that looks exactly like a gen but sometimes you've got to take satisfaction with a cheaper rep. It's all about how pleased you are with a watch and not worry too much about what others think.

I always say to myself, if you're wearing a rep whilst out, people will more than likely notice you're wearing a high end quality watch as opposed to coming up and studying it with a fine tooth comb and then indicate you're wearing a "fakey". How many people are going to notice the fine flaw in comparison to a gen!

This watch will not disappoint. I added $25 shipping for EMS and got it within a week to UK. (And that's Billy bloody Backwardsville at the top of Scotland). I have done a review with pics in Watchinternatinal feedback.

pommie

Just been sent the pics from mary of my BR01 Heritage and looks all good to me ( not that i know what i am looking for ) so hopefully will post a pic when it arrives

Pommie :damn_the_colonials: in NZ

deja123

..arrived Today safe from Mary and no Customs Problems at Germany...gets Wrist-Time :-) !!!

br2bf.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

br1b.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us