Pesman

Why are gen watches so unpopular on here??

Pesman

Whilst I realise this is a site for rep enthusiasts, I continue to be amazed at the complete indifference shown to attempts to sell any gen on here. Apart from when I have putuptotal desperate giveaways, there is zero and I mean, zero interest. My 3 latest attempts of a virtually new BOLDR GMT and 2 stunning Midos have received the odd positive comment ( from my RWI Buddies) but otherwise nothing. Not an offer...nothing. Yet reps in a similar price bracket (something becoming increasingly common as prices continue to rise) sell easily...

I admit I'm not giving them away but I feel my prices are fair for quality, movements and real WR.

I also now we have members with extensive and expensive gen collections. Are these just being sourced at amazing prices that make mine look greedy?

I admit, I'm confused.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fray Jason

Isn't Boldr a microbrand? Microbrands are watches you buy for yourself. Resale value is not up there with that of more known brands.

And Mido is a "mall" brand for many people. I mean, they are readily available at the mall, so people who want them can just go there and buy one.

But I get what you say. I tried selling a Seiko SKX at a competitive price in the past on another rep forum (I think it was RWI, which is even bigger than this) and got zero interest. 

My advice? Try ebay. There are fees, but still a lot better than having to keep the watch. 

• Like 3

FudgyDocker

Don't know, Perry. I can only think that not everyone likes a watch just for being a nice watch. A higher-end Gen (Omega, Breitling, Tudor) will shift a lot quicker on here than the lower-end / microbrand gens. 

So, it could just be a case of brand or movement snobbery, Why pay £300 for a very nice low-beat NH35-powered Gen, when you can have a top-tier rep with a 28,800 clone movement for the same money, that's easier to move on, on a replica watch forum?

Don't have the answer, just offering up suggestions.

4 minutes ago, Fray Jason said:

Try ebay. There are fees, but still a lot better than having to keep the watch.

But eBay is chock full of tyre-kicking wankers that just offer stupid prices.

• Like 3

Redfire1066

Maybe in part that …. There is a more  easily accessible small cash pot to buy and try on a whim and then sell back to someone here on RWG within a mostly dedicated Rep community…… also RWG has a bit of uniqueness in that you can sell Rep’s on here …. Unlike  say EBay or similar….. … and perhaps members just find the Reps more fun as a hobby.

• Like 1

Cap'n

It seems to me that the higher end gens (Breitling/Bremont etc) do seem to sell, but the lower end and micro brands seems to draw no interest. The only lower end I've seen sell seem to be some of the Seiko's (and even then quite a few of them are modded), the G Shocks and as a stand alone item I've seen a few Bulova Lunar Pilot's sell - even considered putting mine up recently, but changed my mind late on....speaking of which -need to go and withdraw one of reps! 

• Like 3

BM284

I can only echo the sentiment shared above by our fellow enthusiasts. Having had a lovely Steinhart for sale both here and the bay with little interest… but at what I would consider silly money. I guess they are just not to the majority taste - though as I’ve said here previously, I’d rather sell to one of the stand up members of this community rather than eBay. The mind sometimes boggles :woo:

• Like 1

BadPickle

Simple really it’s down to target audience, dudes wanting fake shit to look and feel like the crackpots with cash/debt  they follow on insta….

Also  It’s “RWG.bz” not “LEGWABCOHEG.bz” 

NCRich
24 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Simple really it’s down to target audience, dudes wanting fake shit to look and feel like the crackpots with cash/debt  they follow on insta….

Yeah, that's me.

• Like 1

deju

Fake people wear fake watches 

• Like 1

Rokerite
56 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Yeah, that's me.

:rofl:

fatarms

I'd think most people here are after name recognition,  whether real or fake.  So rep and gen rolex, omega, breitling will sell faster than low recognition brands.  I'd categorize more of the crowd here as watch name enthusiasts rather than true watch enthusiasts.  I'm partially guilty of that myself. 

• Like 1

BartSimpson

Ìd go to a gen watch forum. Replica forums have a completly different focus… 

TA8088

The rep forums have always been a hit or miss place to sell gens especially lesser known brands. 

tripdog123
11 hours ago, TA8088 said:

The rep forums have always been a hit or miss place to sell gens especially lesser known brands. 

Always a miss if you're the seller Eric - you're a scammer.

• Like 1

trailboss99
12 hours ago, TA8088 said:

You need to make good on your debts man.   https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/welcome-to-the-brig-ta8088.10954135/
BTW, all the dealers have been informed, your buying powers are zero right now. 

• Like 1

Fray Jason
18 hours ago, FudgyDocker said:

But eBay is chock full of tyre-kicking wankers that just offer stupid prices.

And scammers. Don't forget about scammers. Still a lot better than not selling the watch, though. 

brang1

I find the gens need to be something pretty unique- then they move - unfortunately brands like Mido, can be offered up really cheaply from retailers like Ashford etc from time to time, so it burns them - gens are all about patience- and the price of reps are getting so ridiculous- I mean really stupid prices now, I personally think gens are a better option 

• Like 2

onzenuub
5 minutes ago, NCRich said:

He smelled wrong when he came on this board.  Now I know why.

What part?

• Like 1

NCRich
12 minutes ago, onzenuub said:

What part?

Desperation and flop sweat.

• Like 1

Fray Jason
1 hour ago, brang1 said:

I find the gens need to be something pretty unique- then they move - unfortunately brands like Mido, can be offered up really cheaply from retailers like Ashford etc from time to time, so it burns them - gens are all about patience- and the price of reps are getting so ridiculous- I mean really stupid prices now, I personally think gens are a better option 

What's with rep prices? Are they increasing or what?

Abe Fromen

Here's my take... any microbrand won't sell because we're here for reps and even if you can get a microbrand for less than a good rep, you don't get the look/brand recognition or even personal happiness when you look at your wrist. If you sell a gen, rep buyers are generally too cheap to put out the cash for a good gen. why buy the gen when i can get a rep at less than a 10th the cost? lol 

And the lesson here is... don't buy gen. :)

Horace Derwent
20 hours ago, deju said:

Fake people wear fake watches 

RWG.bz, a board with 100  % fake people then :ban1::baghead:   :D

Edited by Horace Derwent

Rokerite
1 hour ago, Horace Derwent said:

People on the forum buy reps of watches they can't really afford simple as. If they were "into" micro brand gens then they would join a forum about micro brand gens instead :D

• Like 1

Philiusmaximus

Yeah as has already been said. I came here to buy reps and learn about reps 

I use other forums and sites for gens. Although I must say I have bought a gen or two from here and it's flippin marvelous when a bargain that you like gets listed.

I'm betting the vast majority of people here are happy chucking 2/300 on reps and don't want to spend that amount of lesser heard microbrands or part with a small fortune for a gen. All down to target audience