FudgyDocker

Superocean Heritage Bezel Removal

FudgyDocker

Has anyone removed a bezel from a Superocean Heritage before? Wondering if one just has to remove the screws from the bezel in the picture? 

Also, can anyone tell me what to expect when the bezel is removed? Is there anything likely to ping off somewhere?

Sadly, I was putting a new battery in the car earlier and completely forgot to take off my watch, so I've scuffed the aluminium bezel (yes, it's spelt ALUMINIUM to all the Americans!!), so I'm gutted. However, I've decided to pimp it up some more and found a Gen insert. Also found a Gen crystal, which was the only thing letting it down, in my opinion.

KDUV7p.md.jpeg  KDUg35.md.jpeg

FudgyDocker

I have tried looking for anything on YouTube, but there's nothing dedicated to the SO Heritage.

FudgyDocker
11 minutes ago, GingerJesus said:

Seems to suggest they're functional

I thought they might be, as there doesn't seem to be any kind of gap to pop the bezel off. What I don't want to do is be surprised by bits pinging everywhere that I have no chance of ever finding again. If it is going to happen, at least I can put it inside a plastic bag to remove the bezel, then they ping off inside the bag!

FudgyDocker

@GenTLe @NCRich - Any experience of these at all? Or should I just wait and leave it to an expert that knows what they are doing?

NCRich

Never done it.  But there will be bits.............there are always bits.

FudgyDocker

New bits arrived already! Only ordered them yesterday :woo:

KDvi0K.md.jpeg

• Like 2

fatarms

Bezel comes off very easily with minimal prying after removing those screws on Breitlings.  The ones he doesn't remove in this video actually hold the markers on the bezel on.  Breitling uses screws to hold their Bezels together, it's a little weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmWkL_ZemdQ

• Like 1

FudgyDocker
5 hours ago, fatarms said:

Bezel comes off very easily with minimal prying after removing those screws on Breitlings

Problem is, I can't find a video exclusively for a Superocean. I've tentatively tried to undo one of the screws and they are really tight, which makes me think that maybe they are decorative? 

FudgyDocker

Well, as it happens, a small craft knife inserted at the edge of the insert made it just pop off. However, although the gen one is fractions of a mm different (we're talking 0.1mm or so), it has a lip going all around the internal edge, so won't fit. The only thing I can do is maybe grind the lip off with a Dremel VERY carefully, then it may fit. I can't find a rep one anywhere. No one seems to do them!

GingerApple

It's like the good old days of Poppadoodle all over again! Remember to  post photos of your fuck ups as you're going along please.

• Like 1

FudgyDocker
1 minute ago, GingerJesus said:

Remember to  post photos of your fuck ups as you're going along please

I will try a small strip of reasonably coarse wet and dry first, I think, to see if it will do the job before I fire up the Dremel.

• Like 1

BM284
38 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

I will try a small strip of reasonably coarse wet and dry first, I think, to see if it will do the job before I fire up the Dremel.

I’d forget the dremel.. slip with that and you’ve written off a gen bezel - slow and steady by hand :) patience is the key 

NCRich

I would have thought pictures would be in order.  Before and, rather sadly, after.   :lol:

GenTLe
On 25/01/2024 at 09:39, FudgyDocker said:

@GenTLe @NCRich - Any experience of these at all? Or should I just wait and leave it to an expert that knows what they are doing?

Not really: I've dealt only with one of those big heavy breit chrono (Noob one) and the screws there were not functional at all. And in the end I didn't remove the bezel :)

Rokerite

If you are just wanting to swap the insert out, I have managed to do that on Subs and GMT's by standing the watch face down in a jam jar lid bath of turps to soften the glue holding it in place. Takes a while though. Have also heard of people doing the same with hot water.  Can't guarantee it will work, but it did for me.

FudgyDocker
1 hour ago, Rokerite said:

Have also heard of people doing the same with hot water.  Can't guarantee it will work, but it did for me.

The old one actually popped out with the tip of a Stanley knife (When it's already damaged, it doesn't matter!). Sadly the Gen one has a lip going around the inside of the insert, so I need to sand that down for it to fit. Gonna have to be really careful on that, Will take a bit of time with coarse Wet and Dry to get that off, I reckon!