Hot Little Xixi

A3132 to VS3135 movement swap

Hot Little Xixi

Please only answer this if you've either done it or are a watch repair/modder guy. I've read all over this forum and can't find the answer to if I can take the A3132 movement out of my rep and replace it with a much better VS3135 movement. I just want to know if the size of the two movements is the same and if the stem height is the same for both. I was originally thinking of replacing the A3132 with an ETA 2824 I have (yes, real thing) and I've found responses on here saying yes it's a direct swap and the stem heights are the same, and responses saying no you can't do it because the stem heights are different.  I know the stem height of a 2824 but there's no information I could find telling the stem height of the A3132 or A3135. I don't want a response from someone pulling the answer out of their butt, so if you actually KNOW if the VS3135 will fit into the A3132 case and has the same stem height please tell me.  Thanks for reading this.

-Xi

Edited by Hot Little Xixi
Spelling

BadPickle

There was a ref site called “ranfft.de” (or similar) which was pretty good, listed every calibre and info, can’t seem to find that now it looks like it’s been replaced by 

https://ranfft.org/

* no butts were hurt in the reply to this post :lol: 

Hot Little Xixi

Thank you pickledbeetroot, I'll check it out. I really hate things that hurt my butt...

:bedbounce:

And thank you too fudgy docker. I will take a look at that too. 

:Love:

Hot Little Xixi

From what it says it appears that the VS3135 I'm looking at would be a drop in replacement for the SA3132, with the only difference being the date change position on the crown when setting the watch. If I'm understanding it properly the stem heights are the same for both movements and the hands would interchange, both hands sets being the Rolex-sized hands. 

PinionMinion

Please let us know how the swap goes!

Hot Little Xixi

Won't be doing the swap after all. I tried to order a white dial 114300 with A2824 and BP was the only factory offering the A2824 and Andrew at Trusty Time told me it was no longer available. I then looked at the ARF, EWF and GMF which all had the SA3132. EWF looked okay, ARF is a friggin abortion that only comes with the incorrect green lume that was discontinued on the Oyster Perpetuals in 2015 (white dial 39mm OP was made from 2018-2020 , and ONLY with blue lume), and GMF is basically BP with 904 steel ( I have the 36mm tourquoise OP from BP and it's gorgeous!) and I have a few BP reps and love their quality so I went with GMF with the SA3132 movement planning to replace it with a VS3135 if an A2824 wouldn't fit the case. Turned out Andrew was able to get me the BP one with the A2824 last-minute so I got it. (Andrew is the best TD ever!) Beautiful watch and it's running at +2 SPD. BP uses the best A2824 movements I've ever seen. 

So I'm very happy with it and won't be switching movements now. I wasn't looking forward to dealing with crappy Rolex clone movements...

Hot Little Xixi

If anyone can explain the desirability of the SA3132 "Rolex clone" movement that all the factories are pushing in the reps, OPs in particular, please explain it to me. The Rolex casebacks aren't clear so nobody will ever see it except you when you open it after 6 months to see why it stopped running, there are NO parts available for them so you have to replace the entire movement, and they don't even look like actual Rolex movements because the regulating arms are all wrong. It looks like a Hyundai with a Mercedes star hood ornament. Really pathetic. So why do people want those unreliable piece of shit movements instead of reliable A2824s and why are almost all of the factories only offering that crap movement in their reps? I guess it's because they can charge stupid people more for them than for A2824s and make more profit? I don't get it.

PinionMinion
16 hours ago, Hot Little Xixi said:

If anyone can explain the desirability of the SA3132 "Rolex clone" movement that all the factories are pushing in the reps, OPs in particular, please explain it to me. The Rolex casebacks aren't clear so nobody will ever see it except you when you open it after 6 months to see why it stopped running, there are NO parts available for them so you have to replace the entire movement, and they don't even look like actual Rolex movements because the regulating arms are all wrong. It looks like a Hyundai with a Mercedes star hood ornament. Really pathetic. So why do people want those unreliable piece of shit movements instead of reliable A2824s and why are almost all of the factories only offering that crap movement in their reps? I guess it's because they can charge stupid people more for them than for A2824s and make more profit? I don't get it.

I agree logically it makes no sense to have the clone movement instead of a readily serviceable and reliable ETA- but unfortunately the factories are in business selling to not only replica watch enthusiasts- but to nefarious types who try and sell these watches as genuine.  You are correct- any person with a little Rolex knowledge can see the movements are fake once the caseback is off, but a scammer being able to show off the "Rolex Movement" by taking the back off to a buyer ignorant of the differences is something that the factories see value in spending time and money in supporting.

There are other collectors that enjoy trying to make their replicas as genuine as possible and the higher-end clone movements allow almost complete replacement with genuine parts.

Diluted

One thing that it makes easier with a clone movement is using a gen dial, hands, and datewheel without having to do substantial efforts or cutting dial feet, etc.

• Like 1

PinionMinion

Yes- this is an important point as well- gen hands and dials make a huge difference in several models.  I think it is also good to add that it allows dealers to say they have a "1:1 clone movement like real Rolex" in their advertising.

Hot Little Xixi

Good points. I imagine there are lots of scammers out there who can open up the "genuine" Rolex they're selling to show an uninformed mark the "real" Rolex markings on the SA3132 movement.