Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

Homage Thread

JohnG

So the Getatwatch thread was moving this direction, thought we should have a homage thread.

Scanning the ads at RWG.cc came across a sales thread for the Carlos Coste quartz diver - this is the SAME watch as my Oris, except it is a rep of the limited edition Carlos Coste version with a rubber strap.

Now, I paid $85 w/ awsome stainless bracelet, this guy is selling for $105 in EU and it has a good scratch on crystal. He says that Timeshops gets $168 for this!!!!!!!!!!! (though I gotta say, rubber would look good on this, maybe I get from Mary to change up once in a while...

Can anybody say, "reps suck donkey dick, its homage all the way for me baby!"

Here's the link: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=100914

oris1.jpg

Anway, I think it is obvious, homages are MUCH less expensive than reps for the equivalent quality. And since I never pass my reps off as gen anyway, tell everyone they are reps, what do I care. PLUS this gives the makes freedom to make cool derivatives, gives them artistic freedom so to speak, and liberates ALL of us from the "is the pearl too small" mentality.....

And they are LEGAL!

Dicusss

greg_r

You make good points, and I'm leaning that way myself. I can see myself buying the occasional rep of a 'special' watch (Fiddy, 6514, 288, Breit SOH), but I suspect that I'll be buying quite a few homage watches from now on...

I guess I better take some photos and get some of the current surplus advertised on RWI before long...

... and you could make a killing selling 'em on RG :rofl:

houndoggie

I like em both.

The good thing about the Homage pieces is that they are safe.. No customs concerns, stuff like that.

The good thing about reps is that there is a much bigger variety to choose from.

JohnG
I like em both.

The good thing about the Homage pieces is that they are safe.. No customs concerns, stuff like that.

The good thing about reps is that there is a much bigger variety to choose from.

Yeah, that is the thing, variety. Otherwise I would send the fucking reps packing. No homage Super Avenger or Ingy or, well you get the idea...

Hey, I have 43 items on my "watch" list in eBay.... am I normal?

alphakazi

86. If you have 43 items on your "watch" list in eBay

JohnG
86. If you have 43 items on your "watch" list in eBay

Watching (47)

Edit

View

All (47)

Sort by

Time left: ending(...)

alphakazi

yep - it's confirmed...

AND you're an enabler :D so I guess this means I'll have to order another two watches? Now where am I getting that Seiko from?

I told my gf, hey, If Spanish John can buy 3 watches this month wtf can't I?

JohnG
yep - it's confirmed...

AND you're an enabler :D so I guess this means I'll have to order another two watches? Now where am I getting that Seiko from?

http://www.21jewels.com/productsdetail.asp...;getproducttype

alphakazi

geeze man, you make it too easy

alphakazi

alas... no stock :D

greg_r

Thanks to a timely reminder from John, I just picked this up at a bargain price via eBay:

getat_radiomir.jpg

Can't wait to get it! :wub:

JohnG
Thanks to a timely reminder from John, I just picked this up at a bargain price via eBay:

getat_radiomir.jpg

Can't wait to get it! ;)

I boomed this forum once, now I am doing it again! :wub:

alas... no stock :gunbandana:

http://www.roachman.com/seiko.html

Scroll down 2/3rds of the way, far left column, $25 more expensive but with ss bracelet....

sconehead

Well done Greg, I admire your will of steel :P , I would have crumbled much sooner...nice looking watch.

Let me have first refusal on that clone 28,800 B+R of your's that I like, if you decide to let it go that is, just pm me... ;)

houndoggie

getat_radiomir.jpg

Can't wait to get it! :P

That is the same pic that Getat watches has for that watch: http://www.siswatch727.com/showroom/model/...07250018392.jpg

Who was the ebay seller

JohnG

getat_radiomir.jpg

Can't wait to get it! :P

That is the same pic that Getat watches has for that watch: http://www.siswatch727.com/showroom/model/...07250018392.jpg

Who was the ebay seller

Dude you spilled the beans, don't tell anyone else outside the forum or all those johnny-come-latelies are going to bid up the Getatwatches on the bay! Yes, it is Getatwatch. They sell case sets, hands, dials, etc... all the same stuff, same pics, as Getatwatch.... but shhhhhhhh, that info just for us!

houndoggie

Nice! Those will sell like hot cakes.. I was dumb enough to pay more, a lot more for the same thing. Those are serious watches.

prestigewatchco

I have a 100 more of the same quality in brands like Concord/Ulysees nardin/Iwc/Omega just to name a few there are more lots more

JohnG

So what else is he holding back?

Sweet - I love the Oris, but had never seen it until I saw the homage, posted about it, and Austin Tech said, "that is an Oris homage"....

Robert should expand into homages as well. If you can get the Oris you can get the Zitc home of it maybe? The reason I prefer the homage is because in this case the gen has an auto movement, but the homage is not "inaccurate" if it has quartz - because strictly speaking it is not a rep.

More freedom with homage - they are ALL fantasy models, so all bets are off, if you can imagine it, it is okay in homage-world....

JohnG
I have a 100 more of the same quality in brands like Concord/Ulysees nardin/Iwc/Omega just to name a few there are more lots more

Do you know of/ can you acquire homages of the same quality? The Oris homage I got is (as far as I can tell) the exact same case/quartz movement/bracelet as the Oris quartz rep - which is the same case as the 7750 high end rep.... The thing is, with the homage I don't feel embarassed because it is quartz.

houndoggie

A nice sterile Portugeuse in quartz would be cool

alphakazi

while homage watches are great, they only appeal to me if it's not a well known watch and the logo is small or almost invisible - I wouldn't wear, for example, a "FOLEX"

While the legality of it is a bonus, having a reship policy virtually eliminates the risk.

Another option are the quality cheapie gens like Seiko, which I have nothing but respect for - I'm exploring a whole new world again - the gen

a fine example :

$143 US

SNZF21K1_2.jpg

SNZF21K1_4.jpg

100% AUTHENTIC AND BRAND NEW SEIKO 5 SPORTS AUTOMATIC BLACK GUN METAL OYSTER 100M WATCH SNZF21K1.

100% AUTHENTIC AND BRAND NEW SEIKO MENS WATCH, JAPAN AUTOMATIC 7S36 MOVEMENT, 23 JEWELS, 100M WR, DAY-DATE CALENDAR, UNI-DIRECTIONAL BLACK GUN METAL ROTATING BEZEL, SEIKO BLACK GUN METAL OYSTER BRACELET, PUSH BUTTONS DEPLOYMENT CLASP WITH SECURE LOCK, SEE THRU BASE, STONG LUMI HANDS AND MARKERS, CASE DIAMETER 42MM, THICKNESS 12.5MM, NO BOX, NO MANUAL.

SUITABLE FOR WRIST SIZE OF 8.25 INCH OR SMALLER.

btw, let me know if you are bidding on ANY Seiko on the bay so we don't compete with each other - I have a few going :D

prestigewatchco

I suppose you know but I will tell you anyway . There is a bigger market in Seiko copies than there is in Rolex copies. Every model of Seiko and Citizen is available at around 30% of retail in a copy and has been for years

houndoggie

Sweet, Citizen Reps...

are you going to start offering them...

LOL