Helmut Wong

8k budget - what gen would you buy?

Helmut Wong

What gen would you buy with an 8k budget ? 

onzenuub

A nice holiday in the Caribean

• Like 4

splke

New bike 

• Like 4

Redfire1066

Each & every time I purchased a ££££ Gen from the usual Swiss high street boutiques …. Within an hour or less I was thinking…. why did I pay ££££ for this???? ….. Then it ends up as a dust buddy tucked away in the cupboard .  Not much fun for me  ….. 

• Like 1

Phoenixboy

at the moment, a holiday anywhere where its not raining.....

Theduke.williams

Depends what you want the watch for.

If you want something that looks good, feels comfortable and you can wear every day without worrying about marking it up and losing value, then I'd consider either Omega or Breitling.

If you want an investment that you might occasionally wear, say to weddings of special functions, then (and I can't believe I'm saying this) Rolex would be the way to go.

It's incredibly hard to find a new Rolex around the £8000 mark, and there's a waiting list for most Rolex models nowadays, but there is a plentiful supply of good condition second hand Rolexes at this price point.

Look after it and there's a good chance it'll be worth more than when you bought it.

I'd consider something like this;-

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/Explorer II/16570/1780/item/289592

simey83

16610LN

SiFisher

Omega.  Definitely an Omega probably Aqua Terra GMT or 42mm Planet Ocean. 

MAJ75
2 hours ago, simey83 said:

16610LN

As good as TCs are, I 100% concur with this.

• Like 1

als86

I asked myself that a couple of years back and ended up with a 116300 DJ41 Azzurro Blue however if I were to at present …

Something discontinued like a Milgauss (if you can get hold of one) or if not that a 16600 SD would be my choice if I were you :thumbsup2:

Philiusmaximus

Three Longines 

Piccolo

What do you want it for?  What do you have already?  Only new or happy pre owned?  Lotsa options!

rusky27

Milgauss gv preowned

Del

I’d be tempted by the new white Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch, but you’d have to wait for that until the demand dies down a bit. Boutique only at the moment too.

Other than that, I’d try to go second hand (nearly new/excellent condition) and then you’ve got lots of options. Maybe an IWC Top Gun or Big Pilot.

fatarms

8K what?  Dollars? Euro? Pounds? Pesos?  If Pesos, go see that Swatch thread... lol.

I got this for less than $8K USD with tax and shipping (actually closer to $7K than $8K)  from Crown and Caliber.  I waited until they had one of their semiannual "additional $500 off" sales to buy it.  One previous owner who owned it for about 6 months before I got it.

Ha2ZHY.jpeg

• Like 5

2point

Moonwatch no hesitation. 

Intresting

Buy a gen that is not repped or can't be repp'ed well.   That rules out most Rolexes :)    I would consider those with complications that are too uneconomical to rep.  Or those with solid 18k cases .

tonyh7

Depends if you are concerned about the watch keeping its value. No guarantee that any will, but some brands do better than others. Suggestions above for a second hand Rolex or a used moonie are pretty sound. Apparently the brand that loses most value is Hublot! Also I’ve heard the market is cooling - the gap between grey market prices and rrp for Rollies is closing. So with patience there may be some bargains to be had. 

Boycie

I’d spend some time researching Grand Seiko and see what draws your fancy, should be few to choose from with your budget.

Helmut Wong
12 hours ago, Del said:

I’d be tempted by the new white Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch, but you’d have to wait for that until the demand dies down a bit. Boutique only at the moment too.

Other than that, I’d try to go second hand (nearly new/excellent condition) and then you’ve got lots of options. Maybe an IWC Top Gun or Big Pilot.

Good choice. I’ve been looking at that watch. 

• Like 1

Helmut Wong
57 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I’d spend some time researching Grand Seiko and see what draws your fancy, should be few to choose from with your budget.

I’ve been looking at grand seiko for ages and I really admire them but there something about it that always stops me pulling the trigger. 

12 hours ago, 2point said:

Moonwatch no hesitation. 

Black or white dial ? 

Helmut Wong
13 hours ago, Piccolo said:

What do you want it for?  What do you have already?  Only new or happy pre owned?  Lotsa options!

Just a daily all purpose watch. 

right now the only watch I own is my 2017 zf blancpain . It’s a stunner and still in great condition.

Piccolo

In no particular order… all could be a daily, fairly solid, smart enough for a shirt, bit of WR too… most under and around that 8K ££…

Blancpain Bathyscaphe

Breguet Marine

JLC Master Compressor

Rolex ND Sub 14060

Rolex Exp2 16570

Zenith Defy

• Like 1

Theduke.williams
2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Great choice.

A Spring Drive watch, preferably with a display back, is one of the watches I'd love to own, but having to take early (semi) retirement means that I doubt I will ever be in a position to buy one now!

There's just something about the smooth sweep of the seconds hand, and the continuously rotating regulating wheel that just blends the mechanical and electronic worlds together!

Problem is the name, people just don't associate Seiko with being close to £10,000 watches, then again, Skoda cars used to be a joke,  but not any more!

• Like 1

Abe Fromen

I'd get a Seestern and spend the rest on a nice vacation and a few nice reps.

• Like 1