Sign in to follow this  
Distinct

Tour of Canal Street

Jetpants

I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is that your j12 is full ceramic (not steel coated). :)

The bad news is that you can buy this one all day everyday for $85USD from dealers/online. I got mine for $65 delivered to Australia. :)

Sorry.

Del

Brilliant write-up! :)

I really enjoyed reading that - thanks and well done! :)

part_timer

I like a Lou Reed song where he mentions Canal Street a few times, so nice to see some pics of the place!

bme

I really enjoyed reading your post...........thanks!

Luthier

Gret write, thanks!!! And congrats with really good J12!

But no, it wasn't first international GTG of RWG members - I met a few on Watch Market in GZ long time ago.

solkryssare

Sweet write up! Thanks for doing this for us. I really enjoyed reading that :)

flottiglia

Good read and nicely written,thanks for posting !

michaelkhleb

I live 30 minutes away from canal street thanks for this write up.. I will definitely visit and know how to get the right watches now lol...

ThinkBachs

canal-street.png

:)

Aren

GREAT write-up and photos.

Thanks for doing such a comprehensive review.

I really enjoyed reading it.

Congrats on the Chanel.

B)

B)

Distinct

Thanks to all for the kind words!

The bad news is that you can buy this one all day everyday for $85USD from dealers/online. I got mine for $65 delivered to Australia. B)

I think you're right now that I check some more. For $150, I felt the watch was worth it. It's really heavy and looked really good. Given the actual is like $4000 and I got to examine the watch in person and not wait for any shipping, etc. I didn't mind paying it to buy at least one watch from the Seller in order to keep him talking and revealing more information.

I think that some of the veterans on this forum would make a killing here because they would know exactly what they want and how much to pay and what to look for. It's one of the reasons I didn't get the Panerai, I don't know enough about them.

Distinct
canal-street.png

B)

HOW DID YOU DO THAT OR WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT?! That's hilarious! Seriously, you made this right? That's awesome work. NYC Tourism should put these huge banners up on all the lamp posts along Canal Street.

Distinct
But no, it wasn't first international GTG of RWG members - I met a few on Watch Market in GZ long time ago.

I would love to go to Guangzhou. That must have been an awesome GTG.

ThinkBachs
HOW DID YOU DO THAT OR WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT?! That's hilarious! Seriously, you made this right? That's awesome work. NYC Tourism should put these huge banners up on all the lamp posts along Canal Street.

I get bored sometimes and do things like this when I don't have anything constructive to add... B)

SB56667

Brilliant write-up, great advice, great pics, and great meeting up with you on Canal St.! Even if our meeting wasn't the first international RWG meetup, I was very glad we made it happen! B)

Good to see that watch box filling out. I give you two weeks before you're selling it on to the next member and buying yourself a 20-watch box. B)

wolfwood

This is absolutely eye opening and extremely educational for me. Thanks for sweating the 10 pounds researching this article. Was the seller friendly? Did he seem annoy when asking the runner to get the different watches back and fore? You must be a great talker to get that much info out of them and even took his pic! 8-D

opus9

Just wanted to say what a really informative, entertaining and just great reported article. Fantastic job and although I have never visited New York,If I do so, I will be asking your advise on everything!!!

Nice Job once again

regards

opus9

Distinct
This is absolutely eye opening and extremely educational for me. Thanks for sweating the 10 pounds researching this article. Was the seller friendly? Did he seem annoy when asking the runner to get the different watches back and fore? You must be a great talker to get that much info out of them and even took his pic! 8-D

Everyone involved is generally suspicious. They saw me right away at the Canal Street 6 Station taking pictures and noticed I was standing around just too long for their comfort. One lady holding a rain umbrella to block the sun came to stand beside me to watch over me. One of the young tattooed lookouts shifted his spot on the sidewalk to watch me. This is the same one that didn't like me earlier and when an older Lady directed me to him about Rolex, he looked at me and said, "Naw, I ain't got no Rolex."

They're not aggresive at all. I've been to other markets around the World in different cultures that are much pushier and in your face (of course they aren't selling illegal goods).

In terms of annoyance, if they think you're pretty damn close to really buying something, they won't mind multiple runs. If you're buying more than one watch, they'll do more running than the NY Marathon.

I did a lot pretending to talk to people on my phone. I would pretend it was noisy on the street and I would just move my lips like an idiot. I would stick my finger in one ear and hold the phone to my other ear and shoot pictures. Some came out well, others not so much. Some of the close up pictures of the watches were when the Store Worker would have his back to me and he would be selling to some other Tourist. I don't think that Seller would appreciate seeing his picture on the internet here. If you're going to try and secretly take pictures, remember to turn your flash off!

Some more things I remember:

- The higher-end rep Seller didn't have any Bell & Ross at all.

- He had the Green Hulk Submariner but not the blue faced Sub.

- I asked for rubber strap Panerais. He brought two different model examples, they looked OK but their clasp seemed to be different than the ones I've seen from people on this forum. I'm no expert so I didn't buy it.

- The tire tread rubber straps on the Chopards in the Store Fronts are super soft and you feel like you can put your finger nail through it if you push hard enough.

- If you can speak Mandarin, don't speak it right away. Hold back and listen to what the different Players are saying first. Speak it later when you want to haggle or negotiate.

- Most stuff is on the north side of Canal Street.

Distinct
Brilliant write-up, great advice, great pics, and great meeting up with you on Canal St.! Even if our meeting wasn't the first international RWG meetup, I was very glad we made it happen! :blink:

Good to see that watch box filling out. I give you two weeks before you're selling it on to the next member and buying yourself a 20-watch box. :lol:

Thanks! Next time I'm back in town, I'll let you know in advance. I seriously love the watchbox! To all the other Members here at RWG, SB56667 was a very cool, intelligent and stand up Guy.

gtwc

Fascinating. A great read.

Thanks for the report and for sharing.

Balad1

Great write up, thanks for your hard work putting it all thogether.

Nisv

Allright, thanks for sharing :(

Good to get some input on what to expect if I ever find myself touristing there sometime :(

Member X

A great write up! :(

I actually quite like the look of these, from what I can make out of them :( lol

cstreetpiccrop.jpg

Balad1

Next give us a tour up Mulberry Street off of Canal Street and take us into Little Italy for some great Italian eateries.

powderfreak

Thanks for sharing all that information with us, seems as if we are really blessed with our suppliers :(