Silverspeed

Tips on how to do a Quality Check upon arrival

odongo

Always wanted to buy a set like that with watch tools, I bought couple of both ebay and amazon for about 15 USD and some of the tools just broke and scratched my watches. Any pointers where I could get a quality watch tool set ?

firemcburn

great post and pictures. thanks

Tickman

Excellent write up, thank you!

jp09

This post is spectacular. 

I am traveling fast down the rabbit hole and need to acquire a tool kit.  Of course an Amazon search yields lots of options.  Does anybody want to comment on this kit?  Or aim me towards a better option? 

I hope posting the URL is OK.  If no, my apologies.

https://www.amazon.com/EZTool-Watch-Repair-Wrench-Tool/dp/B01DU47EEM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2CJMJ9YFUY0C5&keywords=watch+repair+kit&qid=1557766306&s=gateway&sprefix=watch+%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

FudgyDocker
4 hours ago, jp09 said:

This post is spectacular. 

I am traveling fast down the rabbit hole and need to acquire a tool kit.  Of course an Amazon search yields lots of options.  Does anybody want to comment on this kit?  Or aim me towards a better option? 

I hope posting the URL is OK.  If no, my apologies.

https://www.amazon.com/EZTool-Watch-Repair-Wrench-Tool/dp/B01DU47EEM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2CJMJ9YFUY0C5&keywords=watch+repair+kit&qid=1557766306&s=gateway&sprefix=watch+%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

I wasn't overly impressed with that one. I ordered and received this one today, instead.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BVG3JMS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

**Edit - sorry doesn't look like it's available on the.com site :(

Edited by Bill_Niggs

FudgyDocker
tony06200
5 minutes ago, Bill_Niggs said:

I've the same tool kit, it isn't a great quality :

some tool were magnetized and i've to rework the case opener adaptaters with à small file ...

But it's ok for the basic work just add à hand remover and hand puller and you will be abble to replace a basic movement.  

Hattricks

Great post, but this was made 8 years ago. Is Debris found in the movement still an issue? 

BADBILLY

Thanks Silverspeed,

It has always proven wise to me, to follow the directions of others that have already traveled on the path, that I am seeking.

thejudge

This is great thread do we have one for common problems issues.  i.e Watch running Slow/Fast, Stopping around date change 12pm, Stubborn pins in bracelets.

CallmeConnie

Thank you for ur tutorial. Super useful

Kmast

Thanks for this, 

Marinaeolanet

Goats are the best

OJHorology

If you're looking at tools to get have a look at this:

BackInHisBox

My only thought is that by opening the case back you’re exposing the movement to all sorts of potential particles in the air. Could it really be so helpful to do this portion of things? Seems to me you’re creating the situation for potentially much greater harm and detriment than it was in when it arrived.

olomonster

Thank you for the quick and detailed tutorial on how to make reps life much longer :D
Looking forward to my first rep that should be arriving soon (hopefully)

kaliban

Very useful, thanks

StayFleaky

Is there anyway of checking waterproof without just dropping it in water? I’m not sure whether to trust the ad saying it’s waterproof?

Olly-89

Thank you, very helpful post!

Stephanova

Great post Silver. 
what Grease do you use for the Caseback seal? 

bayarearick

Newbie question: Would it be appropriately at all to ask your TD to do this initial bit as a part of the QC, maybe for an additonal $$?  (I want my new found hobby wearing and not servicing the watches, this is something of value to me.)

tribefan
1 hour ago, bayarearick said:

Newbie question: Would it be appropriately at all to ask your TD to do this initial bit as a part of the QC, maybe for an additonal $$?  (I want my new found hobby wearing and not servicing the watches, this is something of value to me.)

Some will upsell you waterproofing from the factory, debatable whether the factory actually does anything different.