Silverspeed

Tips on how to do a Quality Check upon arrival

edigital

The original post maybe a bit old but the information is still relevant and useful to newbies. Thanks OP!

Robin195959
Doesn't it suck when you get a new rep and after a couple of days it stops, the clasp breaks, you loose a bracelet screw or even worse the bloody thing falls of your wrist.....Especially losing parts is very annoying as these are often very hard to source.

With a few basic tools, which are all avialable in the RWG Toolshop btw..., you can prevent in many cases these annoying issues.

Tools I use to do a quality check when a new rep arrives are:

* a decent screwdriver set

* An eye loupe

* Sticky ball to open just about any screwdown caseback

* Rodico cleaning putty

* Tweezers

* Springbar tool

* Quick caseback and O-ring creaser

IMG_5467kopie.jpg

The first thing I always check is if the screws are screwed down tightly, in this case it's a Rolex which has screws on the bracelet, but in case of a Panerai be sure to check the Crown Guard screws!

IMG_5456kopie.jpg

Next is the rezising of the bracelet, be sure to keep the removed links....if at a point you want to sell the rep it's best to have the bracelet complete with all the links

IMG_5457kopie.jpg

With Rolex reps the bracelet is often quite dirty and the links can be a bit stiff, to make the bracelet smooth WD40 is great for cleaning and making the bracelet feel smooth....be sure to keep WD40 away from the movement! Just let the bracelet soke for a couple of hours in WD40 to get rid of any debry stuck inbetween the links. After that rinse the bracelet with warm water and it will feel much better.

IMG_5466kopie.jpg

After that it's time to have a closer look at the movement, to check if the rotor is screwed down, movment tab screws and to see if the inside is clean.....sometimes there're undeifined pieces of lint, dust, hairs floating around..... :P

IMG_5458kopie.jpg

There are many caseback openers available but the sticky ball works perfect for 99% of the caseback...just press it down firmly on the caseback and unscrew....Often the caseback is fairly loose upon arrival, so it should be coming off without any difficulty

IMG_5459kopie.jpg

I then grease the caseback seal....often they are very dry and creasing it will improve the water resistantcy of the watch

IMG_5462kopie.jpg

Now it's time to check the movement tab screws, a check if the hairspring isn't tangeled and quick look with the eye loupe for dust, pubichairs etc.....

IMG_5463kopie.jpg

Small dust pieces or any other undefined crap are easily removed by tweezers or rodico putty....it is also a good idea to swipe the caseback threads....9 times out of ten the thread is filled with debry.

IMG_5464kopie.jpg

When this is all done place back the caseback seal, screw down the caseback tightly, refit the bracelet and your new rep is ready to be worn.....and most likely the chance of screws falling out or movements stopping etc, etc.... will be very unlikely!!!!

Fab tutorial. One to keep. Thanks.

N.Rico

very good tips ,i do my QC check but not so pro...

stevenreid

Many thanks for sharing, every day is a school day!

chenzomg

Using WD40 for the bracelet is absolute genius. Can't believe the difference in feeling after. Smooth as. Does anyone know if wd40 can be used with a PVD coated bracelet or not?

BeauBands

Great tips!

draggnation

Nice. Helped a great deal.

hauspro
Where can I buy the sticky ball?

U can buy at ebay

you can buy it in rwg store that's where i got it.

http://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=48

chenzomg

I couldn't wait to order a sticky ball so used a roll of duct tape. Worked very well.

Marksharrock

Thanks. For the advice

gbx

Great guide! I'll definitely use this when my reps arrive next week.

I am curious on the WD-40. Do you guys think the darkening of the WD-40 is from oxidation of the metal? I've seen some photos of the bracelet and WD40 soaks and wonder how on earth could there really be that much dirt and debris in the bracelet? I know if you polish aluminum or some gold alloys, your polishing rag turns black in the process from oxidation. So while it gives the appearance of "cleaning", the black stuff shows up in the sudden oxidation of the removed microscopic top layer of metal.

Ar71888

This is great thank you.

noob2

Awesome advice! I lost my first rep because I failed to check the link screws and the band came apart. Now, I make sure I check every watch thoroughly before it ever goes on my wrist.

droptopman

Great information here. I usually send them to my watchsmith to check over and regulate the movement but am thinking I need to start working on my own stuff. This is very helpful thanks.

Technit1957

This is the best advise I've had since my dad had "the talk" with me. Thank You.

Dozza

Great advice, especially for a newbie like myself. I also used the duct tape ball, works like a dream! Thanks

DoubleRaw

Where is a good place to get tools?

DR3M3L
Where is a good place to get tools?

RWG shop ;) Get the toolkit, it's awesome!

ach2012

Great tip

loiidol

Thanks for the tips!

kayser2705

Thanks for the info!!!

ritama

I just see many new arrival watches here .woo ,It's cool .

Lefty83g

THANKS SOOOO MUCH

dobo101

have my new sub. coming any day, this is very helpful, thank you

Edited by dobo101

Collaudatore

I bought a GMT Master II from Josh at PC my first rep. How often should I wind it and how many times? I am paranoid of 'overwinding' but setting the time every 4-5 hours at the moment.