Sign in to follow this  
P_Diddy

Servicing intervals for rep movements

P_Diddy

Hi,

as your watch collection grows, the automatic watches get rotated just like in large football clubs regarding the squad of players :rolleyes:

Despite spending time on watch winders the power reserve on some watches will eventually run flat between each wearing.

A watch may go a week before it is worn again and if it has a flat power reserve the movement will have stopped running for days.

1) Does the fact the movement stopped for days due to flat power reserve, affect the condition and reliability of a rep movement?

2) How long can a movement be in limbo before damage occurs to the movement?

Generally would expect a movement to be serviced every 4 - 5 years.

3) Is this 4 - 5 years of the movement running constantly, as if the watch is worn daily?

OR can this interval be SIGNIFICANTLY longer if the movement is NOT running constantly due to FLAT power reserve from watch wearing rotation policy?

Cheers

PD :D

Edited by P_Diddy

trailboss99

Hmmm, good question!

There are prob folk better informed than myself to answer this 'un but I'll take a stab at it. The below is all IMO.

1/ Not days but extended dorment periods can and do affect the serviceability of a timepiece, rep or gen. If MVTs are left dorment for long periods (months or years) oils can dry out and no longer provide the lubeing function they are designed to. This can be more pronounced with a rep due to the lower quality of oils/grease used in CN MVTs.

2/ I prefer to make shure my MVTs get a run every three or four mths or so.

3/ Nope, 4 or 5 years is about right regardless of use but as stated above long dorment periods can significntly reduce this time frame. The acuracy will prob not suffer in the short term but wear will increse.

With anything bar a 7750 (even then it's a close thing if you are capable of a MVT swap) it is usualy cheaper to run the thing untill it becomes unreliable and simply replace the MVT with a new one. A 21J for example is about 20 bucks plus whatever it costs to have it swaped.

Hope this helps,

Col.

houndoggie

I only service a movement if it starts acting up for reps or they are getting a lot of things done at the "shop" for modifications.